Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Line issues  (Read 12819 times)

jt999

Line issues
« on: October 04, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »

Hi all,

I've been trying to read up more and more on DSL but to be honest, it's just very confusing to me  :'(

I used to get speeds of 50-60Mbps but went through a period earlier in the year where my line was dropping a lot and it got slower and slower. BT Openreach got involved and an engineer visited the cabinet to run a test, he found no faults but since then my line became stable (he insisted nothing had changed). It did recover a bit to around 20-25Mb, I then changed ISP to Zen, and whilst I'm happy with the service my line is still fairly slow (23Mb-ish). Can anyone take look at my line on MDWS (jt999) and tell me if I'm banded or any other reason I shouldn't return to a decentish speed?

I had a few power outages in the area a while back (August 17th, 22nd, and Sept 7th) which I assume caused the BT cabinet to reboot also, they are noticeable on the sync rate graphs as the short increases in speed after a power cut (I then rebooted the router each time as MDWS was saying my sync rate was higher than my attainable).

Many thanks
jt999
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:02:51 PM by jt999 »

lee111s

• Reg Member
Re: Is my line banded?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 12:15:55 PM »

Doesn’t look to be banded.

23648kbps against an attainable of 26976.

What is the speed estimate for your line shown on BT Wholesale’s DSL checker?

Your attenuation of almosg 29dB would be about right for your current speeds.

jt999

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 12:23:12 PM »

Doesn’t look to be banded.

23648kbps against an attainable of 26976.

What is the speed estimate for your line shown on BT Wholesale’s DSL checker?

Your attenuation of almosg 29dB would be about right for your current speeds.

I've attached a screenshot of the checker as I ruined the formatting trying to paste! :)
Even the low for impacted seems higher than what I actually get, not sure what this really means though

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »

Seems you need another engineer visit to find out what’s wrong.

Seems you should be getting quite considerably higher speeds.

jt999

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »

Seems you need another engineer visit to find out what’s wrong.

Seems you should be getting quite considerably higher speeds.

Thanks, at least it's not just me going crazy then. I might give it another few weeks to see if any speed increases and then contact Zen to see if they can help.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »

Nothing will change without physical intervention.

jt999

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 02:00:17 PM »

Ahh Ok, thanks, will raise it with Zen in that case :)

jt999

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 02:11:29 PM »

Zen ran a test and can see a copper cable fault or something, unfortunately they want me to check for a dial tone and I never actually bothered to buy a phone. I'll have to get one of those and test, then see what happens from there!

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 03:50:34 PM »

Have you checked the sync speed when connected to the test socket of the NTE master socket?
This helps rule out any internal wiring issues.

You used to get 50-60Mb? I've never seen an attenuation as high as yours even get 40Mb without G.INP and vectoring. Your connected to an ECI cabinet so that seems even more unlikely.
Something physical likely changed at some point that's impacted your speed and your attenuation.
Your estimates also suggest this, as you shouldn't have those estimates with such a high attenuation.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

jt999

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »

Have you checked the sync speed when connected to the test socket of the NTE master socket?
This helps rule out any internal wiring issues.

You used to get 50-60Mb? I've never seen an attenuation as high as yours even get 40Mb without G.INP and vectoring. Your connected to an ECI cabinet so that seems even more unlikely.
Something physical likely changed at some point that's impacted your speed and your attenuation.
Your estimates also suggest this, as you shouldn't have those estimates with such a high attenuation.

I haven't tried the test socket lately (only for the original line fault) but I can perhaps try it, I'd be surprised if it helped though as I don't have anything else connected to the phone line, and it's only the master socket, so no extensions. The modem is on a 5m cable so I can perhaps try changing that for a short one temporarily.
Would I be likely to see an attenuation drop fairly quickly if it is a wiring fault? Just it'd be quite difficult to leave it cabled to the master socket on the short cable for more than a day or two.

Up until around May (I thought it was earlier in the year, but checked and I have emails of it being in May) it was much higher than it is now but unfortunately have no logs aside from some old Speedtest app results on my phone (I have one for February 18th which is 49.2Mb down and 12.26Mb up, and again on February 20th of 48.83Mb down and 10.11Mb up - both connected to my Wireless AP).

jt999

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 04:20:05 PM »

I just changed to the shorter cable, unfortunately I couldn't find my spare filter to try using the master socket (I have the NTE faceplate thing installed normally). Speeds did go up a little, but not a noticeable amount so perhaps just due to rebooting everything. I'll try to find my spare filter or order some in.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »

You need to try the quiet line test.

jt999

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 04:43:38 PM »

You need to try the quiet line test.

I'll pop out later and buy a phone if I get time and try that.

Thanks for all your help so far! I'm sorry I'm so useless with this!  :(

jt999

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »

Quiet line test seemed to be OK (it took a few attempts to get a dial tone, but I bought the cheapest corded phone I could so perhaps it's to be expected with the quality), BUT when I plugged the phone in my DSL resynced and jumped massively in speed, and the attenuation dropped... I don't really understand why?

jt999

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 04:24:56 PM »

Also another update for those interested, I've had 0 errored seconds since then. It's most odd but I'm obviously very happy with it!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

anything