Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT ADSL + HG612 + Linksys WRT1900  (Read 2813 times)

• Just arrived
BT ADSL + HG612 + Linksys WRT1900
« on: October 03, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »

Afternoon guys,

First post; I've read a lot as a guest, but frankly a bit lost... Hoping you can help.

After nearly throwing my HomeHub out of the window, I've replaced it with a Linksys WRT1900 router and a 612 3B, which I've updated to SP08.

However, I'm not sure how best to configure the two. I initially followed settings from the 612 wiki, and copied a couple of people's settings who posted on here, but no avail.

The DSL light is light on the 612, but I get no internet connectivity. Auto diagnose reports:
"DSL Status The DSL is connected.
PPPoE status Obtaining the IP address of the PPPoE failed."

However, I since noticed that the WRT1900 has PPPoe available under its internet settings, so not sure what relevance that has, or if there's a better way than just DHCP from the 612...

Any suggestions or help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 06:03:12 PM by 28061 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: BT ADSL + HG612 + Linksys WRT1900
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:42:50 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

I see that you created this thread two days ago . . . but I have only just seen it. I don't know how that happened.

You have two devices, a Huawei HG612 -- which can be configured as just a modem or as a modem/router -- and a Linksys WRT1900. (Unfortunately I know nothing about the latter.)

The HG612 wiki pages detail how to use a HG612 as a modem/router for an ADSL service. If you have followed that guide precisely, you should find that you have Internet access from both the LAN1 and the LAN2 ports.

Assuming that the Linksys WRT1900 is just a router (i.e. if it does not possess an internal modem), then the HG612 should be configured as a pure bridging modem and not a modem/router.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

• Just arrived
Re: BT ADSL + HG612 + Linksys WRT1900
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »

Thank you,

I've figured out the problem this evening - schoolboy error, I hadn't put in the BT username into the Linksys PPPoe settings page.

I'm now up and running, already with a 1.5Mbps speed improvement over the BT HomeHub...

Now going to look at the 612 stats abilities :)

Thanks again