Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

Procedure of a 10 Day Stabilisation Period?

(1/3) > >>

jid:
Hi All,

I have just switched my phone service to Tiscali, (I had their upto 8mb unlimited package before) so I guess that I am on their LLU network now?

I was just wondering if there is a 10day Stabilisation period on an LLU network when you switch from the DataStream products?

As my Data Rate, and Downstream SNR Margin are going crazy and the ADSL frequently disconnects and reconnects with "PPD Terminated Through Signal" often appearing in my routers log.

Is this the stabilisation period? Is it OK for my SNR Margin to be going right down to 3?

Thanks

Jamie

kitz:
Hi and welcome :)

>> I was just wondering if there is a 10day Stabilisation period on an LLU network when you switch from the DataStream products?

Tiscali doesnt have DLM profiling ala the BT system... but they do have their own profiles.
They dont give much away about their system or how its done.  It is supposedly meant to be a lot more flexible and have more stages than the BTw one. 
The only information I have is what profiles they do - see bottom of page Tiscali LLU Profiles

jid:
Hi kitz,

I don't really understand these profiles?

Could you go through what a Profile is? I have read your website and understand it is a "sort of cap" on the line which limits the speed that your line will take to keep my line stable.

I have checked my line using your checker and have found the following:-

Line Attenuation: 30dB
dslMAX: 7904mbps           Line Profile: 6500mbps

Which one should I be looking at for the actual speed my line should take.

I am currently synced at 6144kbps as per my router. Does this possibly mean that my Line Profile as stated by the checker is about correct?

Or should I be getting in the 8mbps range

Thanks for the quick reply

Jamie

kitz:
It is actually to do with adsl and how it works and is actually more complicated than this.. but Ill try simplify it.

Adsl uses frequencies which are carried over your telephone line.
Think how if you were at the exchange and shouted to a house nearby and they would hear you.. but the further away then the less chance of hearing the signal.

The faster you sync, the higher frequencies are used.  The higher frequencies are more subsceptible to Noise.. and depending upon the length of your line the the higher frequency signals are obviously the ones that will "fade" first.

Because your on Tiscali LLU - Im sepcifically talking about the Tiscali Profiles and NOT the BTw IP profile in the next bit.

In order to stop your line syncing too high and possible loss of syncs tiscali could say limit your line to say sync at 4096 kbps.

Theres a few other things that the DLM can do and thats turn Error Correction and Interleaving on.  Turning both of these on helps your router recover from any errors and prevent loss of data.

Both Interleaving and Error Correction are turned on at the same time, but either of these can have different levels.  The depth of each interleaving profile is shown in the last column of that table (eg depth 8).

The table also shows in some profiles on that table the Target SNR, which is the "spare amount" of SNr Margin that your line must have to be able to sync at a certain speed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

>> dslMAX: 7904mbps 

Thats a guide as to the average speed you would expect a line of your length to sync at.  However it cant possibly take into account local variations... and some will sync higher and some slightly less.

>> I am currently synced at 6144kbps as per my router

Yes I would expect a 30dB line to sync a bit higher than that.  Are you plugged in at the master socket?  Theres a few tips which may help on this page ~ Can I do anything about low SNR?

jid:
Hi kitz,

Thanks for the reply  :D

I am not plugged into the master socket howver that tends to make no difference as have read the guide on your site before!

I am getting download speeds of 6.5mbps speeds before but now thinkbroadband is telling me that I only download at 4.7mbps!

If it helps, my SNR Margin is 9-12dB.

How fast should my line be syncing at? I am considering contacting Tiscali about the issue.

Thanks again

Jamie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version