Announcements > News Articles

Free speed upgrade for BT Infinity 1 customers to 80/20

<< < (2/15) > >>

Bowdon:
I wonder why BT decided to do this.

I wonder if its an attempt to narrow the speed gap between those who will get G.fast and those not.

I'm one of the infinity 2 people and I'm not happy. They should reduce the price of Infinity 2 to Infinity 1 prices.

Ronski:
It may well lower the average speed on infinity 1, but could make the average speed on infinity 2 higher so it could all be down to advertising.

If people see that Infinity 2 has a higher average speed then more people may well choose to go with that package.

Of course BT could  just be choosing to be nice to those on infinity 1.

d2d4j:
Hi ronski

I hope you don't mind, but you've lost me on lowering infinity 1 speed average and increasing infinity 2 average speed

As bt are upgrading infinity 1 speed to same as infinity 2 speed 80/20, they must have capacity to maintain those speeds. If not, then it's wrong

I'm on infinity 2, bemused as I've just entered a 24 month contract at a lot more cost then infinity 1.

To be honest, even if they upgrade the infinity 2 speed, it does not matter as it would not speed things up viewing websites.

I guess we will have to wait and see

Many thanks

John

skyeci:
My neighbour was on 55/10 too. Just looked at his smart hub. Now 62/20..

kitz:
These are the regular GEA FTTC annual (ex VAT) prices

--- Code: ---Up to 40Mbit/s downstream and up to 2Mbit/s upstream (including Simultaneous Provide) 01/07/2009 82.80
Up to 40Mbit/s downstream and up to 10Mbit/s upstream (including Simultaneous Provide) 01/09/2011 88.80
Up to 55Mbit/s downstream and up to 10Mbit/s upstream (including Simultaneous Provide) 16/01/2016 100.80
Up to 80Mbit/s downstream and up to 20Mbit/s upstream (including Simultaneous Provide) 10/04/2012 119.40
--- End code ---

Openreach have a couple of special offers on atm

* Bandwidth modify GEA-FTTC lines upgrading to a higher speed tier.
  £10 -  Free until 30/11/2017

* Then there's this -  Volume commitment to 80/20

GEA-FTTC 80/20Mbit/s with eligible SIM provide
 Tier 1 - £95.40
 Tier 2 - £109.44

Slow Lines regraded to GEA FTTC  (ADSL lines <10Mbps)
 Tier 1 - £95.40
 Tier 2 - £109.44

This makes me think that 'an ISP' could do a marketing push saying something similar to 'All lines provisioned at  80/20 which no other ISP does therefore making us the fastest ISP with better upload speeds blah blah'  Could be used to encourage adsl users to upgrade to vdsl. 

I've no doubt that BTretail will have done the maths and if they think a marketing campaign used in this way could bring in a lot of new customers.  They won't be the first ISP to provision all lines on 80/20 - except Plusnet speed capped in-house.   Perhaps I am just being cynical, but I do think there will be some underlying reason why they are doing this, and marketing seems the most obvious.

* Tier 1 prices are available if the CP delivers a 50% uplift in baseline volumes on the relevant product (to 80/20 in this case)
   Tier 1 prices are available if the CP delivers a 25% uplift in baseline volumes on the relevant product (to 80/20 in this case)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version