Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: canada also got a toothless regulator  (Read 2066 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
canada also got a toothless regulator
« on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:29 PM »

Just watched a Canadian programme where they went undercover to check if car dealerships comply with Canadian law, 17 out of 20 were caught on camera breaking the law.

The APA which I think is Canada's ASA collected evidence but then the boss of the regulator who has the power to enforce the APA's findings said he wouldnt take action and probably not even do an investigation based on the findings. Instead they only investigate from individual consumer complaints.

Video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YKti86v58

Seems we not the only country where regulation appears to do more than it actually does.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: canada also got a toothless regulator
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 10:36:04 AM »

Instead they only investigate from individual consumer complaints

Ive not watched the vid, but from recollection most of ASA's complaints appear to come from other organisations especially when it comes to broadband.   
BT/Virgin/Sky/TT etc are all at it and can't wait to jump on latest ads.   They usually only get slapped wrists though and told not to run the ad again.  Until they start fining I think the SPs will continue to push the boundaries.

The APA which I think is Canada's ASA

I've not been to the States recently so don't know if its still the same, but we used to go a lot and one of the things that always struck me is just how many adverts stretched the truth.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GregoryFontaine

• Just arrived
Re: canada also got a toothless regulator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 11:05:21 PM »

Just watched a Canadian programme where they went undercover to check if car dealerships comply with Canadian law, 17 out of 20 were caught on camera breaking the law.

The APA which I think is Canada's ASA collected evidence but then the boss of the regulator who has the power to enforce the APA's findings said he wouldnt take action and probably not even do an investigation based on the findings. Instead they only investigate from individual consumer complaints.

Video here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9YKti86v58

Seems we not the only country where regulation appears to do more than it actually does.

The act is largely toothless.. !