Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: XdB - Proof of Concept on GEA-FTTC ECI  (Read 10371 times)

j0hn

• Kitizen
Re: XdB - Proof of Concept on GEA-FTTC ECI
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »

I don't recall seeing user Semmy who is now showing as g.inp enabled too...
They definitely weren't showing earlier.
Interleaved depth of 1, INP 48.
Definitely G.INP on an ECI cabinet then.

They've been uploading for the past 5 days so no idea why they didn't show up earlier. G.INP has been on for the full 5 days showing in MDWS so not a new activation.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 07:10:18 AM »

Sorry - looking at the log he was fixed early yesterday after some mods to the detection system so correct, he's an existing user for some time.

Correction: he was detected as ECI as I said but it wasn't implemented until 23:00....

The automatic emails for the two previously mentioned are now set up but nothing yet.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:55:52 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2017, 04:25:33 AM »

I just read the ispr article and they seem to have made a glaring error.

There is a claim that this would not help very long lines and that the shortest lines would be the most to benefit.

However my view is the opposite, most people are on 40/10 or 55/10, Most lines under 600m should be hitting the 40mbit speed cap.  As such it doesnt matter if the target margin is 3db or 6db, the 40mbit cap still applies.  Very short lines (under 200m) will also likely be hitting the 80mbit speed cap on the 80/20 product as well.

However very long lines are unlikely to be hitting a speed cap unless they banded, meaning those lines will soak up a lower snrm fully.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2017, 11:22:18 AM »

most people are on 40/10 or 55/10

Yes indeed.

I did some work to estimate the speeds of different market segments earlier this year, and as part of that, tried to break down the FTTC market.

At the time, it was roughly:
- One third on 40 Mbps products (I didn't differentiate between 40/10 and 40/2)
- One half on 55/10 Mbps products
- One sixth on 80/20 products

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »

Speed cap aside (good point Chrys btw), I would think those that will benefit most are those who perhaps started off at 80/20 but lost speed due to x-talk. 
It may also give a bit more to those who were say previously syncing at say 30Mbps on the 40Mbps products.

Re the long lines, I doubt they would 'soak it up' as such.   DLM should only attempt the lower target after a period of stability (ILQ green).  The longer lines tend to get more errors therefore it would have to be stable green before attempting 5dB.  It would also require ILQ green again before going down to 4dB, even if its amber that should cause a no action.  If ILQ red, then it should back off.

Time frames for XdB may be different to the INP status - I don't know as I dont have those details, but if it does use an ILQ status similar to INP, then time frames definitely do get extended to stop lines flapping.   
For INP I have observations written down somewhere, but from memory its 1 day, 10 days, 14 days and so on.    So first time it tries it, it could go down quite rapidly, but next time it will be more cautious.

When they first brought xdB out on the Huawei's I saw mention from a couple of ISP {TT} reps that it may cause problems and increase in fault rates, but that hasn't happened.   The ILQ system seems to take care and back off as soon as MTBE goes red.    Whilst I appreciate that BS said he saw some errors when it was trying it on his line and he reset DLM himself as mentioned in that thread I suspect DLM would have noticed anyhow and backed off the next day.   BS has an advantage that he could reset line himself which takes immediate effect rather than wait until next day to take action. 

3dB works perfectly fine on adsl2+ lines without G.INP.   It only gives it to lines that are ILQ green.  There are plenty that just dont get it at all because their lines are either ILQ amber or ILQ red.    Although XdB has been available for quite a while on GEA-FTTC-Huawei, there are still plenty of lines still running at 6dB because they dont meet the ILQ requirements.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything