Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Billion 8800nl r2  (Read 450 times)

re0

• Reg Member
Re: Billion 8800nl r2
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »

first submit your upgrade request here**: https://www.idnet.net/support/guides/basics/adsl2plus.php
** i dont know if it's possible but adsl2 is better for you than adsl2+. but they might offer just adsl2+ which is worth trying.
The OP's (Stevie1978) exchange is not enabled for 21CN WBC services and there is no presence for LLU. ADSL2+ is not going to be available for ANY ISP - the best he can get is ADSL (G.DMT modulation).

if its not a hassle you can show me the pages in the advanced and if its too easy then the rest of the pages in the router to be done with it xd
There's nothing really in the advanced settings that is going to "optimise" his connection, at least in relation to his connection between the modem and the exchange.

As for firewall and UPnP, I would strongly recommend the former is enabled and that the latter is disabled in situations where it is not needed as it tends to have security implications.

The max MTU on the mass of Billion devices is 1492 bytes, not 1500. That is the highest value you could try, but I do not know which value would work best on IPStream services (ADSL Max) and the benefit of an increased MTU in terms of throughput is generally small.

Stevie1978, perhaps you could look at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm and identify what your socket looks like so we can better assist you in your cabling/filtering?

Also, you might want to ask mods to remove Screenshot_2018-05-20-15-47-49.png since it exposes your landline number... since I imagine your login address is based on that.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:48:58 PM by re0 »

spring

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 06:13:12 PM »

The OP's (Stevie1978) exchange is not enabled for 21CN WBC services and there is no presence for LLU. ADSL2+ is not going to be available for ANY ISP - the best he can get is ADSL (G.DMT modulation).
There's nothing really in the advanced settings that is going to "optimise" his connection, at least in relation to his connection between the modem and the exchange.

As for firewall and UPnP, I would strongly recommend the former is enabled and that the latter is disabled in situations where it is not needed as it tends to have security implications.

The max MTU on the mass of Billion devices is 1492 bytes, not 1500. That is the highest value you could try, but I do not know which value would work best on IPStream services (ADSL Max) and the benefit of an increased MTU in terms of throughput is generally small.

Stevie1978, perhaps you could look at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm and identify what your socket looks like so we can better assist you in your cabling/filtering?

Also, you might want to ask mods to remove Screenshot_2018-05-20-15-47-49.png since it exposes your landline number... since I imagine your login address is based on that.
never said it would improve the connection. about upnp its funny how everyone keeps overestimating its importance on PC's and ignore its downside when suggesting it's turned off when Wifi hacking is far more risky on PC's without security holes. but its true he can enable it any time as needed, i just gave a set and forget and warned that the PC will still remain the security hole for this router. 1500 worked for him but should try "ping google.com -l 1472 -f" should succeed and the same with 1473 instead of 1472 should fail. about his request theres no harm in that request but if you are right then my bad and thank you for revealing what to expect.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 06:16:29 PM by spring »
Optimism speeds up the cycle. Blackout is planned to make shadow a ghost.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 06:14:43 PM »

The 1478 MTU may be the optimum value for throughput. The idea is that there'll be no wasted space in a partly filled ATM cell for a full size packet, which outweighs the loss from the reduction in packet size.

spring

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »

The 1478 MTU may be the optimum value for throughput. The idea is that there'll be no wasted space in a partly filled ATM cell for a full size packet, which outweighs the loss from the reduction in packet size.
it's a max mtu, he can set it lower on his pc.
Optimism speeds up the cycle. Blackout is planned to make shadow a ghost.

burakkucat

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 06:25:51 PM »

Now removed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything