Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: ZyXEL Modems - eg VMG1312-B10A - Custom Firmware MTU 1508 Maintenance  (Read 8196 times)

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Retd sw dev; A&A; 4 × 7km ADSL2; IPv6; Firebrick
Re: ZyXEL Modems - eg VMG1312-B10A - Custom Firmware MTU 1508 Maintenance
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2019, 04:17:54 AM »

@johnson about the remote reboot thing. Yes, I have done ‘basic authentication’ before with the iOS Shortcuts framework. I already have written library routines to do everything, so it would be a good choice for me. Could we use the existing password out of the current ZyXEL config - would that be more work or less work?

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2019, 05:00:40 AM »

[A recap post. Duplicate of a post in another long thread.]

This post at an earlier point in the thread contains the download link. That is the version I am using on all my (many) modems. Rock solid, ignore the reports in posts immediately following as I just made stupid mistakes and failed to install it. It is just superb.

That version has
  • the MTU 1500+8=1508 feature,
  • allows multiple telnet sessions iirc - please check
  • has the ‘easy stats’ SNRM graphing feature using a web server in the modem,
  • the ‘easy stats’ stats querying protocol where you can read pages of stats over http without login
A new version is under development.

I use all of the features of it all the time as I don’t currently have a suitable machine that can display stats via a telnet-based protocol because of limitations in the tools I use. I am iPad-only these days and I have not learned Python yet, which is probably the way to go for easy casual app development on iPad.

Another opportunity to thank our kitizen and friend Johnson for his outstanding (and continuing) work on this.

Weaver

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2019, 02:17:13 AM »

A few questions about the toolchain supplied by ZyXEL: the cross-compiler for MIPS target was mentioned.
  • where does the compiler come from - is it included or a reference and a separate download ?
  • is the target MIPS32 ?
  • is the compiler’s code generation any good?

RTouris

I'd be inclined to test this on my 8924 in bridge mode, however seeing that I have the patched v.24 one with the babyjumbo frames, the multiple telnet sessions and the new DSL PHY driver can I ask if we can possibly have the newer version with the webserver stats incorporated? ...and while we are at it can I ask how any updates off the current 1312 fork are shaping up? ;)

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 06:14:36 AM »

Experiments with docker have given pleasing results, with this minimal Dockerfile:

Code: [Select]
FROM yamamuteki/ubuntu-lucid-i386

WORKDIR /tmp

RUN sed -i 's/archive/old-releases/' /etc/apt/sources.list

RUN echo "dash dash/sh boolean false" | debconf-set-selections

RUN DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive dpkg-reconfigure dash

RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y unzip bzip2 patch \
    g++ flex bison gawk make autoconf zlib1g-dev libcurses-ocaml-dev libncurses-dev

I have a fully working build environment for the 1312/8x24. So with a working docker install its 2 commands to build the images on linux/mac/windows. (  :fingers: )

Have also succeeded in getting a 3925 build running in docker, but its a little more complicated.

Anyway, have also got 99% of the the way there to a nice helper script that will use this docker container to build any version of the image required, jumbo - telnet - x1 - x6 - stats etc. Works great in linux, but need to try on other platforms.

Has anyone got the new source package we all requested in january(?), I believe the date they said it would be available was some time in june, but have not been checking my spam email box and they always seem to go there. Would be nice to include the latest source.

johnson

• Reg Member
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 06:34:20 AM »

A few questions about the toolchain supplied by ZyXEL: the cross-compiler for MIPS target was mentioned.
  • where does the compiler come from - is it included or a reference and a separate download ?
  • is the target MIPS32 ?
  • is the compiler’s code generation any good?

Sorry for not looking at this thread in an age Weaver!

1. The toolchain is supplied with the source code package from Zyxel, others have rollled their own and produced working binaries (that I have tested). The cross compile tools are mips uClibc 4.4.2-1.

2. Yes the target is MIPS32, the BCM63168 has 2 400mhz MIPS cores.

3. I have no idea, all I know is that it works. The build is Makefile soup, so I am not sure if the best compiler flags are used, but I should look at that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]