Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Law on free choice of router enacted in Germany  (Read 2928 times)

parkdale

• Reg Member
Law on free choice of router enacted in Germany
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:40:50 PM »

I have been following this new law in Germany for sometime now as it "could" have an impact on freedom to choose our on equipment to use. (Enacted on August 1st)
If the EU follows though, as they sometimes do ::) this will be a good thing for UK consumers.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwiZzdyp57bWAhWKa1AKHb1fDbEQFgg5MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fec.europa.eu%2Fgrowth%2Ftools-databases%2Ftris%2Fen%2Findex.cfm%2Fsearch%2F%3Ftrisaction%3Dsearch.detail%26year%3D2015%26num%3D165%26dLang%3DEN&usg=AFQjCNHqQjloNSJkJhvEmaNudxhbpC1Uew
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:45:38 PM by parkdale »
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

renluop

• Kitizen
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:57:46 PM by renluop »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Law on free choice of router enacted in Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »

@renluop: check your downloads folder. The link in the original post is a download link for a .doc document.
  Eric

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 11:17:22 PM »

Just tried tip, but nothing in downloads nor desktop folders.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 11:25:03 PM »

Here is the PDF version . . .
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »

For those struggling with the links...  this is the juicy bit

"(3) Operators of public telecommunications networks and suppliers of publicly accessible telecommunications services may not refuse to connect telecommunications terminal equipment to the public telecommunications network if the telecommunications terminal equipment fulfils the basic requirements set out in § 3(1). They may provide telecommunications terminal equipment to the subscriber but are not permitted to prescribe their connection and use as mandatory. They must provide the subscriber the necessary access data and information for connecting telecommunications terminal equipment and using telecommunications services in text form at the time of making the contract free of charge and unsolicited."

If this is also brought into effect in the UK, I wonder if and how it could affect BT's MCT.  Although BT/Openreach afaik never enacted on the clause to withdraw service for using a non compliant modem, it did give them the option to do so if a particular modem was affecting neighbouring services.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 03:45:55 PM »

For those struggling with the links...  this is the juicy bit

If this is also brought into effect in the UK, I wonder if and how it could affect BT's MCT.  Although BT/Openreach afaik never enacted on the clause to withdraw service for using a non compliant modem, it did give them the option to do so if a particular modem was affecting neighbouring services.

I imagine this will impact Sky, unless I'm living in the past I think they used to and still do force customers to use their router/modem?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »

They won't provide your login credentials to use your own equipment. They don't object if you get them yourself (wireshark) but you need to connect their equipment if you want support.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »

They no longer use login credentials

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »

Quote from: kitz
If this is also brought into effect in the UK, I wonder if and how it could affect BT's MCT
I think it's ridiculous that an ISP can insist on you using their cheap mass produced, feature lacking, unreliable CPE.

I think giving the EU the option of using any device that has passed the OpenReach MCT is a reasonable requirement. Devices like the Asus's with their mediatek chipset can cause problems for anyone sharing your cable bundle. Specifically the ability to disable UPBO. The difference in my U1 band if I disable UPBO is huge, and probably kills my neighbours upload as we're too far from the cabinet/exchange for the U2 band to be used.

I'm unfamiliar with the German setup, but such a blanket ruling here would be a bad idea in my opinion. Allowing the EU to use any MCT passed modem sounds like a reasonable compromise.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 04:37:29 PM »

They no longer use login credentials
Ah, been a long time since I setup a Sky connection for anyone. Do they still require you to use their device if you want support?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »

On Sky fibre pro they didn't mind if I did or not, but it's not any hassle really when you need support.

parkdale

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »

I was thinking of all those poor Vodafone users in particular who had to poke up with the supplied modem/router.
Sky fibre still insist on using the supplied device as in their T&C's.
Vodafone FTTC ECI cab 40/10Mb connection / Fritz!box7590

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »

Sky always make a fuss if I call as not using their hub. Never have and never will lol..