Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre cabinet alarm  (Read 3805 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Fibre cabinet alarm
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »

I was just surfing around the youtubes and noticed this video of an alarm going off in a fibre cabinet. I've never seen mention of alarms before on cabinets. Apparently it comes on if people try and break in to it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqlADaUwjwo[/youtube]

BT Openreach VDSL FTTC "Infinity" Cabinet alarm going off.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Fibre cabinet alarm
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 10:01:04 PM »

Every "fibre" cabinet is monitored by extensive telemetry . . . which is transmitted to the NOC over a PSTN circuit. Such monitoring is capable of detecting a door being unlocked and opened (with the correct key, not a crowbar). The monitoring is "fail-safe" so, for example, if the cabinet is completely flattened by an out-of-control vehicle an alarm is triggered at the NOC.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »

Sounds more like a fan spinning around off centre than an alarm :D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:55:53 PM »

Sounds more like a fan spinning around off centre than an alarm :D

I find myself agreeing, Lee. The Cab's do have door alarms that notify the AOC, but as far as I'm aware they aren't audible local to the Cab ?.   

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:56:10 PM »

I find myself agreeing, Lee. The Cab's do have door alarms that notify the AOC, but as far as I'm aware they aren't audible local to the Cab ?.   

Thought as much

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »

The Huawei cabinets definitely have an audible alarm, like on that video. I watched/talked to the engineer as he commissioned mine and he tested said alarm. Certainly sounds louder with the door open.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 05:37:10 PM »

But what's the point of a local audible alarm?

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »

But what's the point of a local audible alarm?

Answering my own question, I guess it is perhaps to alert an engineer that the cabinet is not secured properly after he has locked the doors.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 07:48:45 PM »

Perhaps a deterrent? Thieves and vandals tend to scatter when triggering alarms.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 08:19:58 PM »

The Huawei cabinets definitely have an audible alarm, like on that video. I watched/talked to the engineer as he commissioned mine and he tested said alarm. Certainly sounds louder with the door open.

I've now trawled through loads of internal documents surrounding DSLAM's (ECI and Huwaei), and the associated potential alarm conditions.

Nowhere does it mention whatsoever that an audible alarm will be sounded if the doors are left open. A signal will be sent via our 'SMART alarm' system to notify the AOC that a door is open, but for the life in me I can't find any mention anywhere of any in-built audible notification.

Even our ISIS maintenance docs (which as any ex-BT peeps will attest to, walk you through the monthly/annual DSLAM checks in a manner that leaves NOTHING to chance), don't mention an audible alarm. Believe me, if there was one the ISIS documents would tell you exactly what it was, its operating parameters, its stores item code etc etc ....

All things considered ..... although I can not be 100% certain, I would humbly suggest there is NO audible fault indication on DSLAMS.  :) :)   

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:25 PM »

I have no evidence, and have done no research, to support presence or absence of an audible alarm.   But I do consider it highly unlikely that an alarm would be fitted.  Just consider the problems that such alarms would cause to nearby residents if triggered, either by malicious acts, or faulty sensors, or just by accident when an engineer failed to close the door.

It really doesn't bear thinking about.   Alarm start screaming for 10 minutes at 1am, and regularly repeats through the night, just like a defective house alarm.    By 6am you are still being kept awake, so you wipe your bleary eyes and contact BT.   You are advised of their response times for ordinary customer faults, can't remember what these response times are, but safe to assume you'd not be pleased. ::)

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »

As I said, it sounds mechanical and it changes pitch near the start, something that an alarm wouldn't do.

You can almost hear something clattering when the video moves closer to the cabinet.

Pretty confident it's a fan or something that's worked loose.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:49 PM »

Having looked at many images of both Huawei and ECI cabinet internals, I can see no evidence of any audible alarm system. The various sensors, which trigger an alarm condition to the NOC, can be identified. Obviously it would be totally inappropriate to mention in a public place what they might be. Please use your imagination and do not request details from me, via a PM.

As to what that video discloses? I am of the opinion that lee111s' explanation is the "best fit".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything