Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Good News for Openreach “Fibre Broadband” ISPs – Cheaper Cablelinks  (Read 1947 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/09/good-news-openreach-fibre-broadband-isps-cheaper-cablelinks.html

Internet service providers that make use of Openreach’s network in the United Kingdom will be pleased to learn that the operator has dropped the price of their 1Gbps and 10Gbps Cablelink services, which are often used to support “fibre broadband” services like FTTC (G.fast or VDSL2) and FTTP.

Openreach Statement

We’re pleased to announce the following price reductions to GEA Cablelink charges effective from 6 October 2017:

* 1 Gigabit GEA Cablelink connection charges reduced from £2,000 to £790
    * 10 Gigabit GEA Cablelink connection charges reduced from £10,000 to £1,800

These price reductions are a result of a change in cost recovery approach. The GEA Cablelink product and price at present are uniform across all GEA products (GEA-FTTC, GEA-FTTP and G.Fast), however as our Ultrafast products (GEA-FTTP and G.Fast) evolve this may change in the future.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Good News for Openreach “Fibre Broadband” ISPs – Cheaper Cablelinks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 05:36:44 PM »

I wonder if we'll see some reductions to FTTPoD's ridiculously expensive install charges this year. Still, good to see ISP's benefit.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:24:35 PM »

Openreach Statement

We’re pleased to announce the following price reductions to GEA Cablelink charges effective from 6 October 2017:

* 1 Gigabit GEA Cablelink connection charges reduced from £2,000 to £790
    * 10 Gigabit GEA Cablelink connection charges reduced from £10,000 to £1,800

These price reductions are a result of a change in cost recovery approach. The GEA Cablelink product and price at present are uniform across all GEA products (GEA-FTTC, GEA-FTTP and G.Fast), however as our Ultrafast products (GEA-FTTP and G.Fast) evolve this may change in the future.
In other words, " pay more along the line". In the end the cost will be added to EUs' bills.
1 Gig, 10 Gig--= x connections?

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:12:05 PM »

I wonder if we'll see some reductions to FTTPoD's ridiculously expensive install charges this year. Still, good to see ISP's benefit.

The combination of the long term contract lock-in and the high installation cost is a double whammy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 09:45:22 PM »

It's good news for the 'LLU' ISPs, but I doubt it will make that much difference.  In the grand scheme of things, I should imagine the cablelink connection fee is a drop in the ocean. 

Most will already have [multiple] cable-links in place, so unless they suddenly get a large influx of new NGA consumers at a particular head-end exchange I cant see them taking up the offer.  BUT it may be an incentive to upgrade to some 10Gb links though - as the cablelinks could be a point of congestion for the 'LLU' type ISPs.

It may also prompt the 'LLU' SPs to purchase cablelinks on to the FTTP & G.Fast switches which is where they previously have shown little interest.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 12:13:03 AM »

Are G.Fast L2S's still going to be separate from FTTC/VDSL2 ones?

Most operators are likely to have 1G cablelinks in all the VDSL2 L2S's, at £2k each, so I guess the change is to incentivise lots of 10G cablelinks for G.Fast at £1.8k

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:46:25 PM »

The combination of the long term contract lock-in and the high installation cost is a double whammy.
You forgot lack of choice of provider and expensive monthly subs

anything