Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My rt-n66u locked me out after power cut  (Read 4513 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: My rt-n66u locked me out after power cut
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »

well the hub worked!

On the laptop i had forgot to change the ip settings to accept anything from the router. When I changed it back everything worked.

I noticed the subnet is back to 255.255.255.0

I'm struggling to find the helpdesk page in trouble shooting. Ill have to have a mess around with this device.

One thing I've just noticed is the ipconfig is only showing ipv6 details and there is nothing for ipv4

Update:

Ok it does have an ipv4 as I tested it on an irc network and it came up. So I guess it uses ipv6 and falls back to ipv4 if it cant connect.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:58:13 PM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:01 PM »

The gateway the ISP uses can and does change.
The subnet is nothing to do with the ISP, it's internal network settings. BT couldn't change that even if they wanted to.

If you can't change the subnet on the Asus back to 255.255.255.0 then it needs a pin hole reset.
I would expect it to break DHCP and static IPs if the router is suddenly using a different subnet.

Make sure to set your PC to get IPV4 etc automatically. Reset the router to factory defaults and start again.

Cancel any OpenReach engineer appointment if you asked for 1. They won't touch or configure any home subnet settings and you'll definitely get charged for the pleasure of their visit.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 09:56:09 PM »

Luckily I never got to the point of getting the OR engineer out.

What I dont understand is why the 2nd router (it was still in its package wrapping), and a new HG612 I'd bought as a backup a few months ago, both ran in to the same issue.

I didnt have this issue when setting it up years ago, and all this happened the night power went off.

The smart hub seems ok. But I'm struggling to find a way to turn bt-fon off. It directs me to a bt wifi website that doesnt accept my credentials. I might be ringing bt tomorrow anyway as I've noticed they have added £40 to my bill for no reason.

Thanks for persisting in this issue mate.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 10:23:42 PM »

I bought a second-hand DSL-N55U for this very reason, but I have upgraded the firmware and saved the configuration to disk so I could reload the config on my spare so it is literally a hardware swap if one dies. I am surprised you didn't think of this with your Asus.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »

I bought a second-hand DSL-N55U for this very reason, but I have upgraded the firmware and saved the configuration to disk so I could reload the config on my spare so it is literally a hardware swap if one dies. I am surprised you didn't think of this with your Asus.

Yes, it caught me out a bit. But then I thought I'd rather start a fresh. The only things I needed to add on was 3 mobile devices and I wasnt as bothered about port forwarding these days.

Just had another power cut just now.. luckily the hub survived lol

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »

In the aftermath of my recent events I am going to write my observations.

Incoming long post

Prior to the powercut I had my asus rt-n66u and hg612 openreach modem connected and all was good. I've had this setup for over a year and never had any issues with either device. To setup the router I had to follow some basic instructions, which worked first time.

On Sept 12th I had 2 powercuts. I say two because when the power came back, within a minute it was off again, then back on.

After this happened I could no longer get on the internet. Both the router and modem said there was a connection. But I could not connect via my ethernet connected computers (I have 2 pc's and 1 laptop).

When trying to access the router via my pc the gateway ip to the router wouldnt connect me, and instead said that the ip and or port number had been changed. It suggested I use a wifi device to connect to the router and make changes. So I picked up my phone and typed in the same gateway ip and was able to access the router controls. The connection to the page was intermittant with sometimes the pages not fully loading up.

While looking at the router configuration page I noticed both the gateway and subnet had changed. The subnet mask changed from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.255

I spent the rest of the day trying to figure out what that new subnet mask meant. Some people said its connected to having a static internet ip address. Others said it was a broadcast ip address that isp's use, while a couple of people said it puts the router on its own sub network and would be inaccessable.

In the LAN section of the router there is an opportunity to change the LAN IP address of the router, like the gateway ip. I tried changing this back to how I had it before. But it wouldnt change back. The option box on that screen was to change the subnet mask back to 255.255.255.0 , by pressing apply this did nothing. I should point out I was unable to access the router on pc even using this new gateway ip that appeared.

On my machines I have them setup as static lan ip addresses. So in an attempt to gain access to the router (and hopefully the internet), I set all ip settings to accept whatever was being given out by the router. I saved and closed the box and still no joy.

I should also mention that the cctv camera system I have setup is connected to the router so I'm able to view the cameras from all my computers. After the powercut the connections become intermittant. So something had changed in the routing of the router.

After trying a couple of power downs of the router and leaving it off for about 15 minutes only to find powering it back on the settings were still the same I was faced with the possibility of a factory reset OR I could use a backup rt n66u which I'd bought ages ago as a backup. It was still in the wrapping paper unopened.

I changed both the router AND also the hg612 to one I'd updated the firmware to the correct one.

Switching these 2 devices on, and setting them up exactly had I'd done before, again this 255.255.255.255 subnet was still there and so was this unusual gateway ip. So this really eliminated the possibility that the first router and OR modem had been damaged, if the new devices were doing the same thing.

After this I was kind of urged to get the smart hub 6 from bt as they didnt want to send any engineer out until I had their kit installed. So I managed to get a deal and paid just over £100 for it.

After setting the hub up I found it worked. I noticed that the subnet on the device was back to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway was also correct. It actually connected 7Mb's higher.

The conclusion.

During all this a number of other devices in my house went off and stopped functioning properly. Including the kitchen light, a microwave appeared to be broke and also my other pc which I turned on this morning had a bios issue and had loss time, the time it stopped at was when the powercut happened.

Now.. for the odd thing. Last night I noticed all the lights were giving off a low light. Like they didnt have full power. Then as I said in my last post the power went off again last night (Sept 13th) for 5 minutes and back on. When it came back on the lights were bright again. The kitchen light that had stopped working suddenly worked, as did the microwave.

I suspect what happened is when the power came back on the 12th, they set it to lower power (there are electrical digging going on according to roadworks website fixing low voltage cables), and this low power stopped some devices working properly, while others it stopped them working totally.

So my theory is, if I was to put my rt-n66u router back on, and the hg612 modem, I'm betting they would work correctly now.

Sorry for my long post but I thought it might be of value for other people having issues after a power cut. To help them go through things like I did.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »

Its a particular form of power fault that does indeed give you a low voltage - its usually around 100 volts rather than the usual 240 Volts.
I cannot remember how it occurs - possibly it's one stage back at the 11KV incoming feed transformer rather than the local substation one

Another actually more serious power 'outage' is when two of the incoming phases of the 11KV feed to the local substation fail leaving one operational - and that one operational gets a voltage at the property of around 280Volts.....until the incomming 11Kv supply is adjusted down.  I've had that one!
Finally there is the one where the neutral line fails locally and then in some circumstances your property's incoming voltage can go up to the full 3 phase one of 415V.  When this happens the local electric board have to go round each house one by one checking for anything major having failed and have to reconnect each house in turn having prior gone round removing the house cut off fuse.  For those not in/away they have to physically disconnect the property and then re-connect when they can gain access.  Happened round here a few years ago and it took them all day with a full team of people on it to sort out the aftermath.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything