Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: High Retx affects on the IPprofile  (Read 11466 times)

tiffy

• Kitizen
Re: High Retx affects on the IPprofile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 02:20:41 PM »

Probably a daft question !
Is the data percentage calculated on actual DS data rate (as obtained from a speed tester) / DS synch speed or DS IP profile / DS synch speed ?
I believe the latter as in my case this gives me 91.1%.

I am G.Inp'ed with INT, 16 & INP, 48, my B0 Inp Rein has been zero for as long as I have been DSLStats/MDWS monitoring.
BT FTTP 150/30, BT Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »

IP Profile / Modem Sync Rate X 100 = Throughput ratio, When looking at your stats your sync rate is higher than your attainable by 3 Mbps, my guess is the IP profile is stuck at your current attainable sync rate

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:58 AM »

IP Profile / Modem Sync Rate X 100 = Throughput ratio, When looking at your stats your sync rate is higher than your attainable by 3 Mbps, my guess is the IP profile is stuck at your current attainable sync rate

Thanks for the confirmation.
Makes sense, using the speed test obtained DS figure would be a very variable factor.

After G.Inp implementation on my line some 7 weeks after ADSL/VDSL conversion my DS synch increased quite considerably but the data throughput actually slightly decreased which surprised me.
After raising this on the forum was advised by some of the more knowledgable members that this was to be expected due to lower throughput ratio associated with G.Inp, my IP profile/data throughput ratio was approx. 91%.

Having read the posts on this thread I am more inclined to believe that I am on Retx high profile, even though the indicators as mentioned would appear to indicate that I am Retx low, rather than a stuck IP profile, this would explain my current throughput ratio of 91.1%.

I also appear to be on the SNRM decrease program, changed from DS 6 to 5dB. on 27/09, probably not relevant to the data throughput ratio in my circumstances.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:11:03 PM by tiffy »

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 01:47:03 PM »

I went through the motions of asking my ISP, Plusnet, if they had any control over G.Inp retx parameters, one of the technical staff gave the expected answer, currently no, control is at the mercy of DLM, absolutely no reason to doubt this prognosis.

Having always been on retx high profile since G.Inp implementation (verification by calculation of data throughput ratio) I wonder if DLM will at some stage decide to change this to retx low and so boost my DS data speed, all be it very slightly ?
Indeed, what is DLM criteria for retx high/low profile selection ?

My DS SNRM is currently 5dB, recently reduced from 6db on what I would consider to be a very stable and noise free line (see MDWS stats.)

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »

It tries retx low within a couple days if the line is stable enough. Your line perhaps wasn't stable enough.
Since my line went to a lower xdB profile I've been on retx high. Looks like most on a lower xdB profile are on retx high.

I have a theory that:
Bearer 0 INP_REIN = 0 is retx low and
Bearer 0 INP_REIN = 1 is retx high

Mouselike is a very handy site for getting your IP profile quickly.
https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »

j0hn, thanks for your feedback.

Yes, I have been following the thread regarding possible markers for retx high/low state identification.
In my case, bearer 0 INP_REIN has always been zero, before and after G.Inp application on 27/07/17, see my MDWS recordings.
I would consider my line to be very stable and noise free, see MDWS records, I was virtually always ILQ green even before G.Inp application.

I am certainly convinced that I went straight on to retx high profile as I immediatly queried the decrease of DS data throughput when my DS synch had increased my approx 3 Mbps, it was only then that I became aware of the 91% (approx.) throughput ratio penalty associated with G.Inp and later became more informed regarding the retx high/low parameter from forum posts.
My throughput ratio has never been anything other than 91% since G.Inp application, I do monitor this quite religiously and would have noticed any changes to a 97% (approx.) figure.
I also run a Sam Knows White Box, any change in DS data speeds would show up there.

Tried the "mouselike" link but was concerned about the warnings displayed so did not proceed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:25:43 PM by tiffy »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 04:01:37 PM »

Tried the "mouselike" link but was concerned about the warnings displayed so did not proceed.
Don't worry about the warnings, they apply to the BT speedtester too and just mean you can't get your IP profile twice in a short period of time.

Here's another quick link for IP Profile but needs Flash to run http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:10:19 PM by Dray »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 07:19:52 PM »

Mouselike is a well trusted site that's been around for years. It's the quickest, most convenient way to get your IP Profile.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »

@tiffy

Can you give us a full set of stats please? Perhaps there is some other indication of a retransmission high profile, not necessarily a value that gets graphed.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »

@Dray:
Yes, the BT WS Performance Tester is what I normally use, recently started to give incorrect results when used with Firefox (see other topic) still works OK with IE..

@j0hn & Dray:
Went ahead and ignored the warning, very handy, easier than BT WS tester, thanks.

@ejs:
Ashamed to admit I don't know how to produce a stat listing from my HG612 other than in Win. command window which I can't easily snapshot, don't know how to dump to file ?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »

The raw data should be available from the Telnet Data tab in DSLstats.

tiffy

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »

@ejs:
DSLStats Telnet Data, yes, of course but the only way I can manage to snapshot the stats is a window at a time cut & pasted to a Word file, not very elegant, sure there must be a much easier way ?

Won't permit a (*.docx) Word file attachment (MS Office 2010)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »

type telnet
type set logfile myfile.txt
type open 192.168.1.1
proceed as normal, session is logged in myfile.txt

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »

What was your IP profile? and what's your current sync?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 09:27:39 PM »

Just showing what IP profile I get with a DS sync of 39999 Kbps @ XdB 4.0 SNRM INP 52:00

Download speed achieved during the test was - 36.31 Mbps For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 20 Mbps-37.05 Mbps .
Additional Information: IP Profile for your line is - 37.05 Mbps

We must remember the max DS throughput on a 40/10 service is 38000 kbps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything