Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wishlist - Recommendations Please for Modem for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra  (Read 4273 times)

RupertSheff

• Just arrived

Hi,

was hoping anyone could pitch in with some modem/router recommendations. I am basically a modemrouter noob. Sorry. Anyway, I am on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband and am using the router they gave me with the contract, which is a Plusnet Hub One combined router. I work at home so my internet connection is important. The Hub One is in the living room on the ground floor and I work in a spare bedroom on the first floor. Where I work is about 15 foot to the side of the router but obviously on the floor above the router (1st floor).  I want to get a new router as the problems I have been experiencing are that I get a poor wifi connection, 1 bar most of the time and that frequently drops out throughout the day. Unusable really. So here is my wishlist...

- combined router modem which works for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra Broadband
- I will be using the wifi
- good reception on wifi for a 1st floor bedroom if modemrouter on floor below
- reliable connectivity
- price range £240 or below
- just a minor one, and it is certainly not a dealbreaker, but the ability to turn the lights off on the modemrouter or at least have a modem/router which doesn't have an excessive amount of big bold lighting. My Plusnet Hub One has to sit near the TV and the big blue light is quite offputting when watching TV. Don't mind a bit of lights on a router but the Plusnet Hub One is really in your face with its big blue light. This point though is a minor one and don't want to miss out on a good router just cos of this point. If i have to live with a router that also doubles up as a floodlight then so be it!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rupert  :)

JGO

• Reg Member

Why use a Wi-Fi connection at all  ? Inside a building it's performance is chancy - Ethernet is fit and forget even if it takes a bit more fitting

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen

The Hub One is just a re-badged version of the Homehub 5 type A, and given that I'm a bit surprised you're finding the WiFi quite so bad at such a short distance.
I assume you have tried changing the WiFi channel number to see if that helps at all?
Also, you have a choice of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless on that router - you may find that the 2.4Ghz, although slower, gives better range than the 5Ghz. On the Homehubs both the 2.4G and 5G WiFi have the same SSID - it's worth changing that so you can select which you are using (assuming Plusnet have done the same)..
You could also consider using a WiFi repeater (I won't suggest HomePlugs as I think they are evil things  :yuck:) at a point between the router and the upstairs room to assist with the WiFi range.

With respect to the blue light, on the Homehub there is a option to dim it - I don't know if Plusnet have given you this option too.
 :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:40:03 PM by tubaman »
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Welcome to the Kitz forum, Rupert.  :)

As for a guide to suitable modem/router devices, I would recommend that you take a look at the very first post of this thread and then give consideration to one of the ZyXEL devices.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen

Just to say the VMG8924 (and its sister 8324) both allow the LEDs to be turned off on a timer. The VMG3925 does NOT have this facility.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

psychopomp1

• Reg Member

I would stay away from Zyxel modem routers as the wifi range on them is nothing special.

OP, as you've got quite a decent budget I suggest you go for the either the Billion 8900Ax, Tplink VR2800 or Asus DSL-AC88U. All of these routers use a Broadcom dsl chipset and are 4x4 stream wave2 mu-mimo routers which will give you superb wifi coverage.

renluop

• Kitizen

Are you sure about the Tplink VR2800? I ask because it's not listed in the DSLStats monitor. Don't Tplink often use Lantiq?

psychopomp1

• Reg Member

The high end Tplinks use a Broadcom chipset, i believe the VR2800 uses the same newish chipset as the Asus ac88. However due to Tplinks fw 3rd party monitoring software may not be compatible with the vr2600 & vr2800. I have the Vr2800 connected to my backup TTB vdsl2 line, it gives me the highest attainable sync rate of any modem. I am connected to a Huawei cab.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 08:24:40 AM by psychopomp1 »

renluop

• Kitizen

I wasn't trying to gainsay you, but it is interesting that Eric (roseway) hasn't included it.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

Please remember that I'm not all-knowing. :)  If someone tells me that a currently unlisted modem works with stated login details, I'll add it to the list.
  Eric

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
Re: Wishlist - Recommendations Please for Modem for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 12:18:28 PM »

I wasn't trying to gainsay you, but it is interesting that Eric (roseway) hasn't included it.

No worries, that 'Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers' sticky thread is out of date slightly. I think its due to the VR2800 being very new, my experience of it has been top class. There's also a newer VR900 (v2) which is missing off that list, i believe this now uses a Lantiq dsl chipset instead of the Broadcom which is in V1 of the VR900.

RupertSheff

• Just arrived
Re: Wishlist - Recommendations Please for Modem for Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »

Thanks so much for all the help I've been given. Obviously I am interested in the Vr2800 because of the 3 ones recommended to me, it's the cheapest - £177 ebuyer.

psychopomp1 - you say you have the V22800, how do you find wifi coverage? It certainly is advertising itself as such here...

"maximum covereage for your whole home"

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR2800.html

I've searched for reviews online about the wifi coverage and reviews appear to be mixed on wife coverage for the Vr2800.

I think I need to do some invesitgating at my end as well about why my wifi signal is poor and unreliable. I noticed there is a Microsoft application "wifi analyer" that can help me in this regard. I'll go give it a whirl.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/wifi-analyzer/9nblggh33n0n

Other than that, can anyone recommend me a wifi extender in case I go down that route? Hard to pick one, if you look at any reviews for them some people rate them others think hopeless. hard to know what to think!

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 02:59:03 PM »

I would agree with psychopomp1 in respect of the wireless on the Zyxel units.
In my, albeit limited, experience it is perfectly adequate (certainly fine in my medium-sized detached '80s brick-box of a house) but doesn't seem noticeably better than when I was using a Homehub.

I am wondering if the close proximity of your current router to other electronic devices (TV in your case) may not be helping things.
Have you tried moving it a bit further away to see if it makes any difference?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

psychopomp1

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 03:10:55 PM »

psychopomp1 - you say you have the V22800, how do you find wifi coverage? It certainly is advertising itself as such here...

I've found the wifi coverage/speeds on the VR2800 superb, on a par with my main router Netgear R9000 (which cost £400  :lol:)

However I am able to do many other things on the Netgear as well, such as running Plex on it, using Openvpn on it which i cannot on the VR2800. The R9000 is probably overkill for the typical home user.

Edit: I should also add the LEDs on the VR2800 are non-intrusive, they stay lit solidly and are not bright at all. They don't flash randomly d/t network activity (like being in a disco  :D)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:19:35 PM by psychopomp1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 04:13:57 PM »

. . . that 'Combined VDSL2 Modem Routers' sticky thread is out of date slightly.

Kitz will update the information . . . if those who know of newer devices would care to take the time to provide the relevant data.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2

anything