Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: boosting your wireless connection?  (Read 5808 times)

dallaro

• Just arrived
boosting your wireless connection?
« on: November 03, 2006, 05:52:13 PM »

We live in a large house and at the end of the long garden is a outhouse/shed. Our wireless connection stretches to the door but any further and it just just cuts out. We have power in the outhouse and i was thinking of getting some sort of booster unit that would pick up the signal and then re-route it via the booster. The problem is there seems to be nothing on the market, can anyone advise on what i can do?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: boosting your wireless connection?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 11:21:35 AM »

Hi and welcome to the forums.

The item you are perhaps looking for is called a wireless repeater and there should be several choices on the market if you search under "wireless repeater".

In actual fact any wireless router or wireless access point should in theory be able to act as a wireless repeater, but I have seen reports of incompatibilities between various makes of equipment.
For example if you have a Netgear router then try a Netgear WG602. - If you have a speedtouch then stick with speedtouch etc etc

You may want to have a read of this
http://www.tomsnetworking.com/2004/04/14/how_to_wds_bridge/

Bearing in mind that you say your existing wireless connection only just stretched to the door, then the signal at that point to be repeated is going to be fairly weak anyhow.
So since the outhouse has power.. so you may be best looking at wall plugged ethernet..
Theres a choice of products from here.

I notice that theres even a NetGear 54 Mbps Wall-Plugged Wireless Range Extender Kit
http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3Z8H

Hope this info helps :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

dallaro

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 04:47:42 PM »

Thank you, that makes sense. The netgear plug looks like what I need, the power point is right by the door and there is another one in the green house half way down the garden.
Another question, if I bought a Hawkin wireless G/Bridge or something similar for example, would that have to be managed or connected to a computer or will it automatically collect the signal and re-transmit it?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 01:54:25 PM »

Wireless bridges need to be plugged in to set them up initially, then they will just work - they don't need permanently managing.
Chris

anything