Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone's Service and Support  (Read 4350 times)

kieran0065

Vodafone's Service and Support
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »

Hello,

I'm writing this for anyone who's with Vodafone currently or Going to switch to them and their Broadband Service.

When i joined Vodafone it was more of a cost saving switch, and that then moved to getting way more for about £15-£20 less then when i was with Sky. The switch took the standard 2 weeks to initiate, and all went smoothly, the switch happened about 5PM on the date of switch and it was pretty seamless. Then that's when the issues stated, at first i thought that it was just my line re-configuring it's self, but after about a week of getting 70Mb+ speeds between the hours of 11PM and 8AM, and then between the other hours my speeds would drop dramatically to around 10Mb.

I talked to rep over live chat that raised a fault, and it was found out that the fiber line's that Vodafone lease on the Cab that i was on where congested, that confused me a little because when i was with Sky i would get a solid 37Mb with about 2ms ping (more on that later). So they phoned me and told me that Openreach where installing a new Fiber line between the exchange and the cab, that took about a month.

The month goes by, and Vodafone call me to tell me the line has changed and that i should expect my service to be better now, but nope! And this is where all my current issues are at, i tried phoning back, but i got put though to the wrong place on their stupid automated service, but the guy kindly set a phone back for the next day between 1pm and 5pm, but the next day they called me at 11am while i was asleep (I was not happy) and ever since then ive not been able to get them to phone me back (its been 2 months) The last two chats ive had with Vodafone on their live chat has had me stumped, ive told them that my line's DLM needs to be reset, because currently i am stuck at 49Mb and its been like that for over 2 months now, even though my router suggests i can get around 72Mb out of my 76Mb line, Vodafone's excuse for this the first time was that my speed's are over the minimum guaranteed 44Mb so they would not do anything. I tried again a week later and this time i got a little further, but i was then told that once again because im over my minimum guaranteed speeds they would not be able to raise a fault ticket to Openreach, because Vodafone themselves cannot reset the DLM, and to have it reset there needs to be a fault with the line. So now im stuck here with a Fiber connection at 49Mb and around 20ms ping that can be alot better, but because of the lack of support from Vodafone i cant do anything about it, and im not even able to contact Openreach directly.

So if any of you are thinking about swapping over to Vodafone, do know that if you have an issue they will most likely leave you out to dry. If it wasn't for the fact that i'm probably moving in the near future, and that it takes around 2 weeks to swap ISP's i would have changed back to either Sky, or another supplier that can actually support me, oh and the cost.

Thanks for reading! And if you've had similar issues with Vodafone, pop them below id love to read them.

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Vodafone's Service and Support
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »

Without knowing what caused what you say is the DLM limiting your bandwidth to 49Mb, and if that issue is no longer present, I don't think a DLM reset is the appropriate permanent solution.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:10:43 AM »

I talked to rep over live chat that raised a fault, and it was found out that the fiber line's that Vodafone lease on the Cab that i was on where congested, that confused me a little because when i was with Sky i would get a solid 37Mb with about 2ms ping (more on that later). So they phoned me and told me that Openreach where installing a new Fiber line between the exchange and the cab, that took about a month.
Absolute nonsense if Vodafone told you that. That's nothing to do with Vodafone. You would have used the same fibres with Sky. It's at the exchange that Vodafone can install a GEA Cablelink and the traffic becomes their responsibility. No ISP "lease fibre lines from the cab to the exchange" as Vodafone put it. It's very possible that was the reason speeds dropped, but it could have happened with every ISP.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

kieran0065

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:55:14 PM »

Reply to ejs's post: The issue was that because the fibre line was congested, during the day the speeds would drop dramatically to compensate for usage on the lines, but at night when there was barely any usage id get it all, so the DLM thought my line was unstable and compensated for it and made my speeds lower to get the stability up,

Reply to J0hn's post: Yeah i think half the stuff that vodafone told me was a bunch of BS to be honest, I'm a tech i kinda understand how the whole transmission of service works, and i know that switching me from Sky to Vodafone wouldn't all of a sudden cause the fibre line to become congested.. and it also confused me that why did it take openreach over a month to fix the issue. Nevertheless im not happy with vodafone, they didn't even compensate me for the 2 months of p00 service they gave me, this happened from my service switch date aswell.. it wasnt like i was with them a little time before it happened, it was like as soon as my service switched, all hell broke loose...

I'm thinking of switching provider again, simply because i dont want to stay with a company that will go above and beyond for their mobile customers, but will dig themselves a grave for their broadband customers (I'm with Vodafone for Mobile too) I'm thinking of going with Zen, ive seen their reviews have been great, not sure if they allow 3rd party router's (got a ZyZel VMG8932-B10A) or if i want to break my bank account i might just go with BT, at least then if i have an issue itll go to the right place. But if you have any suggestions for a provider, I'm in the PO22 area if you'd like to suggest anyone, sadly i cant get VM, would like to but i guess Arun DC dont want them to dig up the already atrocious paths around here.

Thanks!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 11:45:04 PM »

Don't assume that Vodafone will go 'above and beyond' for mobile customers.

I've been a mobile customer for 15 years and until recently satisfied, but they have now outsourced to India.  I have only used it once since the outsourcing, each incompetent Indian in turn stated they'd have to pass me on to somebody else.  I refused to give in, held my ground through all the transfers, and after about half an hour realised I was actually in an infinite loop between just about three individuals, none of whom were capable of understanding the issue I wanted to discuss. :)

Regarding broadband, no experience with Vodafone.   But they did take over Demon, with whom I was a customer.  In my days with Demon's Indian support, I ascertained they had no awareness of BT DLM's function, or even any awareness that DLM existed.  They showed no recognition  of the most basic concepts, like the modem's SNR margin.  If Vodafone have taken on the old Demon tech support centres, I'd give up, if I were you.  I did.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 11:59:59 PM »

Zen are good but there have been some teething issues with some customers (on TBB forum), including myself though I currently have a line fault which *might* be causing this though I have doubts, suffering packet loss and/or slow single threaded download speeds. So, beware this is a possibility. As soon as my line fault is resolved I'll see if the packet loss goes, or if not then whether Zen resolve that too. I'll post in a different thread about all this of course.

kieran0065

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:31:12 AM »

Zen are good but there have been some teething issues with some customers (on TBB forum), including myself though I currently have a line fault which *might* be causing this though I have doubts, suffering packet loss and/or slow single threaded download speeds. So, beware this is a possibility. As soon as my line fault is resolved I'll see if the packet loss goes, or if not then whether Zen resolve that too. I'll post in a different thread about all this of course.

How's their support tho? One thing i look for in any company weather it be Broadband/Mobile or anything computer related, is the customer service the company provides behind it all.

Also im about at my wits end with Vodafone for their broadband support, its basically none exsistant at this point, ive actually managed to get a few support rep's who refused to help me with anything because i was using an illegal router on the network (a VMG8924-B10A) and i had to remind them that actually i can use this because its been BT Wholesale certified and it's stated in their own god damn list that its allowed, i said that i understand you cant support me when i have that router plugged in, but id put their one back on for the purpose of getting support, and it was like talking to a brick wall. Also yeah ive had some support people who didnt even know what DLM was or even when i asked if they had any plans to update to IPv6 on the network i was told that wasnt a thing... so im pretty sure they have some dumbass support people working if they dont even know what IP Protocols are.

kieran0065

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:25:57 PM »

Once again disappointing by Vodafone's tech service, Was facing an issue on my line with drop outs but once again there's no help, i didn't meet the requirements of having 7 drop outs to have them raise the fault further then just noting it and watching my line. Like WTF?! 1 drop out was enough to get Sky to ask Openrech to do tests on my line back in the day... in an attached photo, is the kind of grammar i had to put up with throughout this conversation. I am astonished by Vodafone, and im getting to the point where i cannot deal with them anymore, and want to move provider, but im stuck with very few options which most will end up costing me alot of money. Also i should be moving soon, so im not sure there's any point in switching right now. Currently im looking at switching to Zen, but looking at reviews i have about a 5/10 shot of getting any better service... Or moving to BT... which will kill my bank account...

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 06:15:01 AM »

Why will moving to BT kill your bank account? Just take advantage of the various cash back offers and new sign up offers.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 08:09:29 AM »

I got 55/10 Unlimited Infinity 1 for £29.99 from BT in Feb.
With £80 from topcashback and £125 BT reward card.
The cashback was new customers only.

Going direct to BT without cashback they were offering me the above for £26.49, which I'm now paying after they screwed up.

As I ordered in Feb but didn't go live till June, the discounts start instantly and would have ended Feb 18. So they recontracted me in July when this was spotted, at £26.49.
Not exactly breaking the bank.
1 drop out was enough to get Sky to ask Openrech to do tests on my line back in the day...
You what now? I would assume there's more to that. ISP's would go bust pretty quick if they ordered an OpenReach visit because of 1 resync.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »

I got 55/10 Unlimited Infinity 1 for £29.99 from BT in Feb.
With £80 from topcashback and £125 BT reward card.
The cashback was new customers only.

That's what my brothers on, works out at £13 a month over a year.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:31 PM »

It's not like anyone is going to know if you pull out the DSL cable and plug it back in a few times until you've got more than the required number of disconnections. But if you do then get an Openreach visit, you may end up having to pay whatever your ISP's no fault found charge is.

Reply to ejs's post: The issue was that because the fibre line was congested, during the day the speeds would drop dramatically to compensate for usage on the lines, but at night when there was barely any usage id get it all, so the DLM thought my line was unstable and compensated for it and made my speeds lower to get the stability up,

DLM wouldn't do that.

kieran0065

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 03:01:59 AM »

Welp, none of that matters now, i was evicted by the landlord so now i need to cancel the service, i spoke to someone online and they gave me a number to ring, and when i asked if id have to pay a termination fee they said that it would be in the range of £160 to terminate.... I even told them that i was evicted but that seems to just go though their head.... Anyways untill i find a flat/house of my own or me and my mum can find somewhere i dont have to deal with vodafone, and will probably go to BT for broadband from now on...

I do have a random question, im currently in a flat that has broadband by ZOOM (Bognor Regis area) and their supplied router is kinda eh, and i cant for the life of me login to it, and zoom wont tell me without a ref number, im guessing its a pretty standard username and password to login to the router (TP-Link TL-WR940N) standard usernames/passwords such as admin, admin. Dont work... Sooo not sure how to login... All i want to do is see the LAN stuff to reserve some IP's..

anything