Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hi from the near-abandoned shed  (Read 3017 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Hi from the near-abandoned shed
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »

Hi all, thought I'd pop in.  The last few months have been busy, sorting stuff out at my late father's house, and putting it on the market.  Had much needed repairs done (leaky roof! Ceiling falling down!)  Got an offer quite early on, which we accepted, and all the legals were plodding through nicely.  It then recently fell through due to no fault of us or the buyer.  So back on the market again.

I've been getting rid of a lot of junk (mine and my late Father's) on ebay and at boot sales, quite surprising what sells and what doesn't.  Old tools are popular at boot fairs.

Using my half of the (eventual) sale proceeds, I'm wondering about buying my own place rather than renting as I am at the moment.  But can't afford much locally (South Coast).  Rightmove has LOTS of much more affordable places in Wales and Up North /  Scotland.  Can forum members sing high praises for particular locations they'd recommend living in?  Or places best avoided, to help guide me as to where I might consider moving to.  I'm really not sure what I want to do at the moment or where I might choose to go to!

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Hi from the near-abandoned shed
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 06:32:31 PM »

Two words for location ............... Ribble Valley.

Plus, it is a well-known fact that the further north you go, the friendlier the people are. I've yet to see this fact dis-proven.  ;) ;D ;D. Get up here, mate .... cheap ale and beautiful countryside .... oh, and the engineers up here have a better pedigree too.  ;D ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »

Depending upon finances, I'll suggest looking at property in one of the Suffolk "market" towns.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 09:53:58 PM »

Thanks for your suggestions, will have a look at Suffolk and Ribble Valley on Rightmove, see what's available.

I've been to West Yorkshire a number of times in the past, and I think a friend up there once took me on a tour of bits of the Ribble Valley (I know it's not in West Yorkshire, but it's ~relatively~ local when you're staying in Yorkshire!).  I hadn't considered that area, so will have a look. 

I've got some searches set up on Rightmove, but I don't think anything has come up in Suffolk.  Cost, perhaps.  I have lived in Ipswich a long time ago (working at Martlesham Heath) and got to see a bit of the countryside in that vicinity.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 10:17:30 PM »

. . . I don't think anything has come up in Suffolk.  Cost, perhaps.  I have lived in Ipswich a long time ago (working at Martlesham Heath) and got to see a bit of the countryside in that vicinity.

Ah, very close to Beattie's Grimbledon Down. Yes, it is very expensive around that part of Suffolk. North Suffolk or South Norfolk area would be less so expensive.

Over in the NW of England, Lancashire, you could easily be in the catchment area for B4RN.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »

Ah, very close to Beattie's Grimbledon Down. Yes, it is very expensive around that part of Suffolk. North Suffolk or South Norfolk area would be less so expensive.

Over in the NW of England, Lancashire, you could easily be in the catchment area for B4RN.

I was actually working at  Grimbledon Down !  Though nothing exciting, was doing internal IT systems phone support.  My main memory of that time was the pleasant bike ride from Ipswich to Martlesham Heath (about 7 miles) and the button marked "jump" on the call logging system that you had to press if someone important logged a fault  :no:

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 11:54:40 PM »

I was actually working at  Grimbledon Down !

I made a few visits in the mid-1980s and my only real memory is of the site security.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 08:36:23 PM »

Hi Ian :)

I won't make any location recommendations as the UK is so diverse when it comes to property prices.    I do however hope that you find somewhere suitable :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 01:52:46 AM »

Hi Ian :)

I won't make any location recommendations as the UK is so diverse when it comes to property prices.    I do however hope that you find somewhere suitable :)

Hi, and thanks :)

Still unsure where I want to go, but, equally, quite excited about idea of new places.

Wherever I end up, there's likely to be some form of shedcam set up!

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 06:37:17 AM »

I look forward to it. :)
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 10:20:28 AM »

Still unsure where I want to go, but, equally, quite excited about idea of new places.

Perhaps you need to take lots of holidays to areas on your shortlist to get a feel for them.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:03 PM »

Wherever I end up, there's likely to be some form of shedcam set up!

Yes please! I knew I was missing something . . .

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 03:07:45 PM »

Derbyshire is nice.
Freecycle.org is a good way to get rid of things that you can not sell.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »

I've used Freecylce a few times to get rid of things, but it often seems to be grief, I gave away a large double glazed window, the person turned up with a tiny trailer and small estate car with roof rails (no rack), we ended up tying it to the roof, and amazingly he made it back the couple of miles without it breaking. The other day I gave away a large (4 x 4.5 meter) very good quality woven back carpet. The person turned up in a Yaris  :lol: :no: The next person who wanted it also had a Yaris - I asked before they came! The next one actually had a descent size estate car and it just fitted in folded in half.

Yes its a good way to get rid of stuff, but can be a pain sometimes, I'm learning now with the large stuff to ask what people will be collecting it in.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »

I
Yes its a good way to get rid of stuff, but can be a pain sometimes, I'm learning now with the large stuff to ask what people will be collecting it in.
Useful idea, I never let anyone in my house or see what other stuff I have, I make sure the item is outside before collection, some of them look very dodgy .
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.