Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Government names trial areas for 'full fibre' broadband  (Read 2475 times)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Government names trial areas for 'full fibre' broadband
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:41:34 AM »

Six areas in the UK will soon be trying out broadband technology that provides data at speeds approaching one gigabit per second (gbps).
Businesses, schools and hospitals will be the first to try out the "full fibre" network technology.

The pilots will be run in Aberdeenshire, West Sussex, Coventry and Warwickshire, Bristol, West Yorkshire and Greater Manchester.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-41122106

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Government names trial areas for 'full fibre' broadband
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »

Why do we need a trial? Surely there are now enough areas that have full fibre to find out what they need to know, unless that information is not being made available?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:37:35 AM »

I know BT appear to be 'trial heavy' and I don't have any answers to the question, "Why ?".
But, I do know what folk can perceive to be a very simple 'thang' ..... can quite often have a plethora of situations that need to be taken into account, before announcing to the general masses that, "We are now taking orders".

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 10:59:43 AM »

Unfortunately BT just don't understand the Pareto principle and want everything to be gold plated.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 11:42:14 AM »

Unfortunately BT just don't understand the Pareto principle and want everything to be gold plated.

I will agree with that when used in a different arena ................. 80% of managements time and decision making, is based around 20% of crap engineers.  ;) :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 12:54:54 PM »

I'm in Greater Manchester and a short journey to West Yorkshire.. I wonder if my area might crop up. I can dream! lol.

Hopefully the more areas that get full fibre and the more successes with it, the risk balance assessments that BT/OR are doing will start to tilt in the full fibre direction.

Also I was thinking, a full fibre network should make it easier to extend G.Fast pods from cabinets? Would they be able to hook a G.Fast pod in to a passing fibre line?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 05:26:16 PM »

That's very nice of them we in Northern Ireland always seem to get left out of any trials granted it's not very big but it has potential for a fair test given the City and Towns are close together

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »

Why do we need a trial?

It is a market trial, not a technology one. The reasoning then gets convoluted.

10 years ago, when NGA was being discussed before BT were allowed to roll anything out, every provider was keen to emphasise that being tech-neutral was an important feature. Fair competition of any technology was important (including mobile & wireless).

Now, however, the government is seemingly embarrassed about the UK's position on the fibre powerpoints. They, through Ofcom, have changed to pushing full fibre without any attempt to keep that neutrality. The arguments why fibre is a necessity, in the face of (say) DOCSIS 3.1 and G.Fast have been noticeable by their absence.

Ofcom just set the new rules for competition moving forward, incorporating the aim of new companies bring full fibre through PIA. They want 40% of the country covered by someone who isn't Openreach or VM.

This money is the government's carrot for getting companies to start in this market, and isn't for BT or VM. Once companies have started, the hope will be that it triggers further self-funding to move forward; perhaps by getting a company over the "startup cost" of entry, and perhaps by helping to show the demand via takeup.

But the government isn't allowed to affect the market through state aid - and BT & VM could challenge legally - so the "trial" becomes a label to subvert that.

Edit: Remember the "market trials" in BDUK? Where the government funded some trials for wireless and satellite, trying to get some more competitors involved. All hailed at the times as greatly successful, but it hasn't actually spurred that much wireless/satellite in BDUK as yet.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:57:05 PM by WWWombat »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »

Government is still on the wrong path if they obsessed with competition, that ultimately doesnt matter as long as we progress.

Cash injection as I understand it is fine as long as it doesnt favour any private entity as is the case in cornwall which is almost all a subsidised rollout, I doubt all that FTTP in countryside areas was viable under normal commercial conditions.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 06:39:02 AM »

Thanks wwwombat for the informative reply.

Also I was thinking, a full fibre network should make it easier to extend G.Fast pods from cabinets? Would they be able to hook a G.Fast pod in to a passing fibre line?

Well it would, but if you had full fibre you wouldn't need g.fast, but if these are not bt networks, they might not be able use them anyway.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 01:03:40 PM »

Doing a search on my exchange in Aberdeenshire, It shows that FTTP is available but when putting credentials into websites to sign up for information they state that it isn't available. I have noticed quite a few BTO vans going about the area lately.

Edit: I am aware it is for businesses etc first but I was trying to sign up to get information for if/when it does become available to the public.

anything