Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: My line might have issues?  (Read 39675 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: My line might have issues?
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »

b*cat nods, interestedly.  :) 
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »

All is still fine. I'll be trying the Zyxel later today (unfiltered) to see if the errors rise rapidly like before, if they do then I'll switch back to the DrayTek but if they don't then I'll use the Zyxel for a while and upload to MDWS again.

The other day I switched back to the old TalkTalk network for about 30 minutes then moved back to the new network again as requested by AAISP. This fortunately updated the line rate on AAISP's side so I'm now getting the full speed (79.9Mbps, synced at 79995Kbps at the moment). They're currently looking into why my line rate is apparently not updating when I connect via the new TalkTalk network.

I've also developed a script for my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter (I'm not sure if I should upload it here? Maybe someone might find it useful?) which should automatically update the QoS download and upload bandwidth settings based on what AAISP's tx_adjusted_rate and rx_rate is for my connection at the time (thanks to their CHAOS 2 API). I need to test this but it looks like it should work as intended.

Here's the stats from my DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac (unfiltered) for anyone curious: https://pastebin.com/raw/VJfcgmHt

I'm pretty sure FECS is actually just meant to be FEC errors (not FEC seconds). Otherwise I think the stats look fine and assuming my line is on DLM's 'speed' profile then I'm well under the ILQ red threshold for error seconds per day. It will be interesting to see if the Zyxel still gets the excessive errors, if it does then I won't complain about it as I can just use my DrayTek but it will be odd if the Zyxel did still get the excessive errors.

TBB BQM Graph: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3d855252126bb4c241c275ad78d3880f302ee22d.png

I'm still getting under 6ms to YouTube which is superb.

I'll either edit this reply or post a new reply a bit later today/early tomorrow to mention how the Zyxel performed. I'm hoping I can leave that connected and let MDWS monitor my connection again.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my next door neighbour also said their FTTC connection has improved since the engineer visits, coincidental? Haha.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:05:58 AM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2017, 12:21:36 PM »

Funny enough to show how much I dont care about been synced at 80mbit vs 74mbit banded, my DS QoS on my pfsense firewall is still set to 71mbit :p

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2017, 03:52:52 PM »

Funny enough to show how much I dont care about been synced at 80mbit vs 74mbit banded, my DS QoS on my pfsense firewall is still set to 71mbit :p

Haha, I see. Yeah it's not easy to tell when you've lost 6 megabits downstream off of a sync rate like 80 megabits.

Well anyway, I tried switching to the Zyxel though I was also using this short RJ11 cable going via an RJ11 to BT LJU converter (not the rather long shielded RJ11 to BT cable I was using) and immediately the problem returned so I didn't leave it plugged in for long. I'll post the Hlog and other stuff later this evening if someone wants to see, however the Hlog looked fine.

So, I went back to my DrayTek however still using this short RJ11 cable going via an RJ11 to BT LJU converter and while the attainable rate is higher (as expected) the CRC errors and error seconds on the downstream initially started off at a rather high rate but appear to have calmed down somewhat now. The FEC errors however are quite a bit higher and still coming in at a higher rate.

DrayTek stats on the cable mentioned above from eBay (not the long shielded one I was using): https://pastebin.com/raw/KcBPfcHi

I will return to using the rather long shield RJ11 to BT LJU cable I was using later tonight or sooner if the high rate of error seconds return and see if all types of (CRC/FEC) downstream errors return to normal amounts I originally had while using the DrayTek. I have a feeling they will. I'll edit this reply with a further update on the result of that, certainly is strange though.

EDIT 15/11/2017 16:03: Went back to long cable as another burst of ES again (a few seconds in a minute). I'll update in an hour or two but so far errors look normal again.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:03:49 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2017, 07:03:13 PM »

I'm thoroughly puzzled -- not with your reports -- but as to what could be causing the problem that you experience with certain hardware combinations.  ???  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »

I'm thoroughly puzzled -- not with your reports -- but as to what could be causing the problem that you experience with certain hardware combinations.  ???  :-\

Same here.

Last night I tried the long shielded RJ11 to BT LJU cable on the Zyxel and while the rate of errors were less than using the short RJ11 cable they were still excessive.

I've put the long shielded RJ11 to BT LJU cable back on my DrayTek. At some point I might test the effect of toggling trellis on the downstream, I realise sync rate will drop but I'm curious to see if the same errors remain. I have a feeling there's still something odd happening somewhere in the D3 band, as such might explain why shorter cables are showing the problem more. Either way as long as the DrayTek stats with the long cable don't start getting excessive errors then I'll stick to this setup. It's unfortunate as I can't graph the stats anymore (unless I make my own graphing tool for the DrayTek stats output, maybe I'll do that when I have a bit of spare time). However if the problem returns again still using this setup then I'll contact AAISP again.

Somehow I've also gained a bit of attainable rate overnight (approx 2Mbps downstream and almost 1Mbps upstream), but that's good.

Stats as of this morning: https://pastebin.com/raw/KRfNagt2

Stats yesterday: https://pastebin.com/raw/VJfcgmHt

Also my Ubiquiti bash script works for making automatic adjustments to the QoS bandwidth settings, though for some reason it's not triggering after the PPP connection is up (working on that). When manually running the bash script it works fine.

Maybe I'll post this later on in a separate thread, but for now here's what I've got so far:
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/vbash

runcmd=/opt/vyatta/sbin/vyatta-cfg-cmd-wrapper

curl -sH "Content-Type: application/json" -X POST -d '{"control_login":"[changeme]@a","control_password":"[changeme]","service":"[changeme]"}' https://chaos2.aa.net.uk/broadband/info > /tmp/aaisp.txt
rx_rate=$(cat /tmp/aaisp.txt | jq '.info[0].tx_rate_adjusted')
tx_rate=$(cat /tmp/aaisp.txt | jq '.info[0].rx_rate')

rx_rate=$(echo $rx_rate | sed 's/"//g')
tx_rate=$(echo $tx_rate | sed 's/"//g')

if [ "$rx_rate" -gt "1" ]; then
    # echo "${rx_rate}bit"
    $runcmd begin
    $runcmd delete traffic-control smart-queue Internet download rate
    $runcmd set traffic-control smart-queue Internet download rate $(echo $rx_rate)bit
    $runcmd delete traffic-control smart-queue Internet upload rate
    $runcmd set traffic-control smart-queue Internet upload rate $(echo $tx_rate)bit
    $runcmd commit
    $runcmd save
    $runcmd end
fi

smf22

« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »

It's unfortunate as I can't graph the stats anymore (unless I make my own graphing tool for the DrayTek stats output, maybe I'll do that when I have a bit of spare time).

I started to develop some munin plugins when I had a Draytek Vigor130 if you're interested. There's a static version of the graphs that the plugins create posted here if you want to take a look.

They work well enough, but could probably use a bit of a polish. I never finished them as I took the Draytek out as it was too unreliable on my line.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:27:54 PM by smf22 »
BT FTTC 80/20 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A bridge mode + Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »

I started to develop some munin plugins when I had a Draytek Vigor130 if you're interested. There's a static version of the graphs that the plugins create posted here if you want to take a look.

They work well enough, but could probably use a bit of a polish. I never finished them as I took the Draytek out as it was too unreliable on my line.

Sure! This would be extremely useful. I've not used munin before so am in the process of trying to set it up on a docker container. If you can share the plugins I'd be greatly appreciative :).

smf22

« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »

I've uploaded to the vigor130_munin directory on my server. I've copied across three different file types:

- vigor130.expect: expect script to telnet to the modem and collect the output of the appropriate commands. You don't need to use expect to perform this, but I've included so it's clear which commands that need to be run on the modem.
- vigor130_munin_out.txt: sample of the captured output
- v130_*: plugins

Depending upon the directory structure of your host you may need or want to change the 'statsfile' entry in each of the plugins. As mentioned, this was for a Vigor130 but will hopefully work on the Draytek you have.
BT FTTC 80/20 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A bridge mode + Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2017, 12:12:08 AM »

I've uploaded to the vigor130_munin directory on my server. I've copied across three different file types:

- vigor130.expect: expect script to telnet to the modem and collect the output of the appropriate commands. You don't need to use expect to perform this, but I've included so it's clear which commands that need to be run on the modem.
- vigor130_munin_out.txt: sample of the captured output
- v130_*: plugins

Depending upon the directory structure of your host you may need or want to change the 'statsfile' entry in each of the plugins. As mentioned, this was for a Vigor130 but will hopefully work on the Draytek you have.

Thanks, I'll attempt to set this up tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it'll work with the Vigor 2860.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2017, 11:25:41 AM »

Apologies for bringing up an old thread (perhaps) but I've had an unexpected outcome this morning.

I had a call from Zen technical support early this morning, the faults and workflows manager asked them to contact me, they wanted to look into the broadband issue I was having. Obviously this was pointless as so much time had now passed and my AAISP line is working so I respectfully declined. They left the option open. I asked whether I could cancel the broadband side early with a discounted early termination charge or whether I'd have to pay full price. They spoke to retentions and was told I'd have to pay full price so I said may as well keep it as emergency backup until the end of contract.

A few hours later (a moment ago) I had another call from the same guy now confirming that he's been authorised by the manager to cancel the broadband side early with no termination charges! I had the option of the line rental too if I wanted to cancel that but I said keep the line rental as I use it for phone calls still. They're going to pass on my request to cancel the broadband side now, they'll credit my account which will then be taken by the cancellation charge. All in all a satisfactory and rather unexpected outcome! I thought originally it would be pointless to contact their quality assurance department (as I was asked to when I left them a negative review on Trustpilot). I've since updated my review's rating primarily to compliment them on the improved customer service that I've now received. Woo!

As for the Vigor scripts, I've not had much success in being able to setup the Munin stuff for some reason. I'm waiting for a small server 2U unit to arrive which I'll install Linux on, some other stuff and Munin too. Hopefully it's just because I was using Docker that I had issues.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

anything