Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: My line might have issues?  (Read 39682 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: My line might have issues?
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2017, 04:26:10 PM »

1480 more than standard daily ES limit in 15 mins ouch, and yeah sounds like you need a REIN engineer now :(

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »

1480 more than standard daily ES limit in 15 mins ouch, and yeah sounds like you need a REIN engineer now :(

There are only 900 seconds in 15 minutes! You can't have more ES than S. The figure in the stats quoted was 148.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »

There are only 900 seconds in 15 minutes! You can't have more ES than S. The figure in the stats quoted was 148.

Haha. Anyway, errors have stopped again it seems, interesting. I've not done anything here to do that though.

EDIT: Now just getting large bursts of CRC errors at the moment (at the time of writing this edit).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:09:08 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »

Upon checking, I see that there was an approximate "manic" hour that started just after 2000 hours and ended just after 2100 hours (today, Thu 26 Oct 2017).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2017, 10:51:59 PM »

true but on my phone there is a 0 at the end :) so it shows 1480

i didnt think when i posted about there only been 900 seconds.

148 in 15 mins is still high but not as high as his previous accumulation

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2017, 11:07:15 AM »

Yeah, I had quite a crazy hour between 8pm and 9pm yesterday. Throughput was bad due to it. Never had that before. Same pattern occurred again in the early hours of the morning. AAISP have suggested trying a lift and shift but I've told them I'm not convinced that'll help as my first line is suffering from this problem as well. The first line is on a different line card and port. I'm waiting for another update, they're waiting for TTB to get back to them.

EDIT: I'm told it would also be a lift and shift at the exchange too, I didn't realise that. Interesting.

I forgot to also mention that I tried powering everything down other than the router, switch and modem (and the UPS on battery) for about 10 minutes but it made no difference to the rate of errors it seems. I also eliminated the UPS from the possibilities, so I think I've pretty much ruled out any internal REIN as powering down almost everything made no difference and I had this issue on my first line with Zen before I had a server cabinet and the Ubiquiti router and switch. Despite the fact the router/switch power supply might have some kind of noise picked up by the Tecsun radio I have, they shouldn't be responsible. I've even situated the modem outside of the server cabinet and the radio doesn't pick up noise other than what the modem is producing due to DSL.

EDIT 2: Had an update, AAISP are still on the case for sure. Openreach service test is apparently failing now. Real-time check of ES and SES exceeded threshold. High errors shown on Yukon.  They've escalated it again to the OR manager to clear the errors, perform a lift and shift and coop with the REIN team.

Also may I ask Black Sheep or another person who might know, what does "Bart fault in pcp100 vert I swapped out pair" from the engineer notes mean? Just curious hehe :P.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:34:56 PM by Ixel »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2017, 03:33:02 PM »

A 'Lift & Shift' at the Exchange ............. never, ever heard of that before ???

Regarding: "Bart fault in pcp100 vert I swapped out pair"" ...... he he he, that will be 'Fat finger syndrome', I'm guessing.

We have to type out our notes on the I-Phone screens and fat-fingers, plus predictive texting, makes for some interesting reading .... I've personally been retrospectively pulled up on job notes I type that included the line 'Subsequent one-shot test towards the .....'. Fat fingers changed the word 'shot'.  ;) ;D ;D

With that in mind, I think the engineer was probably typing 'Batt Fault' as in battery contact fault. It isn't indicated whether this was E or D side, and regardless of which we still have to clear the fault even if it only affects your PSTN service on the E-side.  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2017, 04:39:37 PM »

A 'Lift & Shift' at the Exchange ............. never, ever heard of that before ???

Regarding: "Bart fault in pcp100 vert I swapped out pair"" ...... he he he, that will be 'Fat finger syndrome', I'm guessing.

We have to type out our notes on the I-Phone screens and fat-fingers, plus predictive texting, makes for some interesting reading .... I've personally been retrospectively pulled up on job notes I type that included the line 'Subsequent one-shot test towards the .....'. Fat fingers changed the word 'shot'.  ;) ;D ;D

With that in mind, I think the engineer was probably typing 'Batt Fault' as in battery contact fault. It isn't indicated whether this was E or D side, and regardless of which we still have to clear the fault even if it only affects your PSTN service on the E-side.  :)

I see, haha yeah I saw the engineer's iPhone as he was showing me a few things on it regarding my connection and I was thinking that's so small compared to my mobile. It was like looking at a postage stamp :P. I'm equally as confused as you regarding the 'lift and shift at the exchange too'. I thought that only applied to ADSL, so it will be another interesting visit I imagine.

Battery contact fault, ah I see. Thanks.

---

Well I've been told an engineer will have to attend on site again so I'm waiting for confirmation on a date/time but I have a feeling it might be tomorrow as I'm on care level 2.5 which should be Monday to Saturday next day if I remember correctly. It's fantastic that AAISP/TTB are remaining on top of my problem unlike my previous ISP. Hopefully an end will be in sight soon.

EDIT: SFI arriving on Monday, will update then.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:22:18 PM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:43 PM »

Update: Engineer has been, a different person but a very helpful person. He actually found a problem eventually but can't yet identify where or what the problem is.

He did the usual PQT test and such, nothing showed up as expected. He then did a lift and shift as requested on the job notes, no difference as expected. He then went out for a while to find me the best quality pair (now syncing at 75.3 / 18.2 at the moment, the highest sync so far I believe!), no difference to the errors as expected. Tester's modem showed minimal errors when not via the filtered faceplate as usual, then he tried plugging it in via the filtered faceplate and BANG! He had over 100 CRC errors per minute and they kept coming in ;D! He tried a different RJ11 cable, no difference. He then tried a spare filtered faceplate he had in the van, no difference. He tried a microfilter, no difference. He tried swapping the first line with the second line, no difference.

He's returning tomorrow morning again to check every point of the way (except the manhole on the main road since it's not easy to access due to traffic). If he can't find any problems elsewhere then he'll go ahead with requesting the 'manhole team' look into this I believe. The cable I'm going via is apparently 70+ years old, interesting to know. He suspects this is a slight high resistance problem or corrosion that's only noticeable when on FTTC, if I had ADSL I most likely wouldn't notice it. As it was when I was using the ASUS I tried restricting the D3 band tones and the excessive errors were almost gone. I can't tell you how glad I am that an engineer has now found the fault that I'm having! When I mentioned MJ Quinn did the first FTTC connection, well, lets just say he didn't speak highly about them :P.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2017, 05:59:58 PM »

Brilliant result. This kind of visit sounds more like a 'High level' engineering task to me.

As an aside, unless your on a new/ish estate ..... most of the cables in the ground will be 60/70yrs old. Keep us posted, please.  :)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2017, 12:13:22 PM »

Update: Engineer has been on the job all morning. He's swapped pair at another section of the route which has further improved the sync rate (now 80/20 with a bit spare) and reduced the overall CRC errors per minute. Unfortunately the problem is still present, but doesn't appear to be as bad as it was. He's done another lift and shift, had a problem with a 'split pair' apparently. He wants me to monitor it for up to a week before contacting AAISP again but by the looks of it interleaving will kick in again due to the high ES per minute so far. If it continues then he wants me to contact AAISP again and they will probably investigate the manhole on the main road that was mentioned.

The odd thing is that when he connects his tester via a filter it ends up getting errors like my Zyxel or HG612, but when he connects his tester without a filter it only had 1 CRC error for I believe a few minutes of uptime. I've bought myself an RJ11 to BT adaptor which will hopefully work for testing the Zyxel on an unfiltered connection, I imagine I can pull off the filter on the NTE5C and just plug in to the socket behind it (test socket?) like it used to work on the NTE5A?

EDIT: The only thing he forgot to sort out was the first line's master socket. When it was originally installed a long time ago the engineer could only get it screwed on the wall one with screw. The other hole went wrong or something. The engineer I had was going to sort it out but he's left it hanging off the wall lol, I assume he ran out of time.

EDIT 2: Moderate interleaving has been applied, INP 4 both on downstream and upstream. Possibly rate banded but can't confirm yet, as downstream SNRM is nearly 10 dB.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:28:58 PM by Ixel »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »

I use 1 of these from AAISP
Broadband only non-filtering faceplate
https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
Just a RJ45 socket rather than a BT socket.
Red text isn't on the item, just the picture.

Obviously no good if you use the landline. Perfect for your AAISP line though with naked VDSL.

edit: just noticed you have a NTE5c.... eww lol. they're not for me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:48:42 PM by j0hn »
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2017, 04:14:34 PM »

I use 1 of these from AAISP
Broadband only non-filtering faceplate
https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
Just a RJ45 socket rather than a BT socket.
Red text isn't on the item, just the picture.

Obviously no good if you use the landline. Perfect for your AAISP line though with naked VDSL.

edit: just noticed you have a NTE5c.... eww lol. they're not for me.

Indeed, I can't use that sadly as it's not compatible with the NTE5C. I wish mine was NTE5A and if it wasn't for the fact I'm not allowed to change it then I would've changed it to NTE5A. However AAISP are sending me an LJU to RJ11 cable to try (along with some stickers, lol) so I can bypass the filter. Hopefully it'll yield a successful workaround result. I can at least go by the FEC errors in the meantime, I hope, to determine if the errors are gone. Either that or hope DLM eventually restores me back on fastpath without any additional banding, but AAISP might be able to get a DLM reset arranged if not I guess (though with some difficulty).

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »

I'm pretty confident AAISP will have an easier way to get DLM resets than most ISP's.
The rep from Uno on TBB says they request an OpenReach frames engineer to perform DLM resets for banding (on OpenReachs advice). This doesn't require a home visit apparently.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2017, 08:48:54 PM »

I'm pretty confident AAISP will have an easier way to get DLM resets than most ISP's.
The rep from Uno on TBB says they request an OpenReach frames engineer to perform DLM resets for banding (on OpenReachs advice). This doesn't require a home visit apparently.

I see, interesting to know :).

I'll wait for the cable to arrive and then see what the initial comparison might be. I really hope this makes a difference like it did for the engineer's JDSU, if it solves the problem then I'll accept it as a workaround/solution. Might need DLM resetting for a fair test but as you say AAISP probably have an easier way than most ISP's for requesting a DLM reset. Also waiting on engineer notes from today pending more discussion most likely tomorrow.

While I'm still curious to understand why using a filter might actually make matters worse, I'll just be happy to see I've got a line with a normal/low amount of background errors.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11