Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: My line might have issues?  (Read 39577 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: My line might have issues?
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »

Update: Nothing happened and it's almost the 13th. I was hoping for a sign that something was happening but maybe the underground engineer (assuming they showed up) I was told about was just doing an initial assessment or something like that? Well, hopefully tomorrow I'll hear back from Zen about the latest of the situation with some promising news.

EDIT: Checked MDWS and notice not too long ago, perhaps 20 mins or so, the FEC errors have dropped to quite a low amount now. Perhaps it's just a 'quiet patch' though.

EDIT 2: Indeed it was a 'quiet patch' sadly, back to the higher FEC errors again.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 06:28:04 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 06:16:36 PM »

The circuit is still struggling, I see.

The QLN, CRC and FEC plots are the ones I check, once a day.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »

Yeah, well I've had another update. Zen chased BT and I'm told a manhole engineer is booked today for the PM slot and will update their notes by the end of the day. Zen will update me again tomorrow on the outcome of that. There was a brief disconnection this morning. After reconnection my line attenuation has increased by quite a bit but as a result of that the upstream sync rate has also increased as the DSLAM thinks I'm a little further away now (UPBO). Downstream sync rate remains about the same. The state of the errors is currently unknown but I think they are still there. We'll see what happens by the end of the day I guess and see what the engineer has said as well (by tomorrow).

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »

yeah your line looks a mess, weird dips in DS snrm also.

Plus 450 ES/day "whilst" interleaved is a big sign something is not right.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »

yeah your line looks a mess, weird dips in DS snrm also.

Plus 450 ES/day "whilst" interleaved is a big sign something is not right.

Indeed.

Another update. I asked Zen what happened yesterday and apparently they were sent the 'clear code' (passed, fault resolved?). I told Zen that based on the statistics I can see that this problem still appears to exist. I had a SNRM fluctuation on D3 again yesterday evening or late afternoon, can't precisely remember the time but I recall seeing it, I'm still getting a rather high amount of FEC errors and a fair amount of ES. D3 still looks a bit of a noisy mess at times and my line attenuation is higher than it was before the underground engineer intervened. Zen have rejected the 'clear code' and are waiting for further input from BT/Openreach.

Maybe the engineer genuinely believed the fault was resolved when they intervened yesterday, as the stats did look good until probably 30 minutes or so following the downtime that occurred in the morning.

EDIT: Looks like SNRM fluctuation occurred around between 6pm and 8pm.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:43:11 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »

Your circuit is my default view via MDWS and when I last checked, earlier this afternoon (Fri 15th Sep 2017), it is still not operating correctly.  :(

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 06:27:39 PM »

Your circuit is my default view via MDWS and when I last checked, earlier this afternoon (Fri 15th Sep 2017), it is still not operating correctly.  :(

I haven't checked today so far but I'm imagining there are bad signs for sure haha.

BT have asked Zen to book an appointment to come to the house, so I've agreed to 19th PM. Fingers crossed it won't be either a 'no show' or worst 'no fault found, then charges me a call out via ISP'. If there's difficulty in finding the fault then I will show the engineer some of the graphs based on the data I've got from the HG612, particularly the intermittent D3 SNR rapid swings, to hopefully help them and to also hopefully help decrease the chance I'll get charged for the call out if the task ends in 'no fault found'.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, other than offering tea/coffee or biscuits, to help my case?

P.S. Here's an updated image of my replacement server cabinet, since the original one wasn't the one I ordered (didn't quite match the picture and specs shown on the website I ordered it from). This one is much better anyway. ( https://i.imgur.com/VvSwPr9.jpg )
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:07:20 PM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »

Ixel the snrm dips I would not concentrate on them but the error rate instead, a few of us also get occasional dips but without affecting our service and by design snr will vary over a long period of time.

Of course your error rate I still think is pretty much broken.  Some kind of underlying noise on your line I think causing it.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »

Ixel the snrm dips I would not concentrate on them but the error rate instead, a few of us also get occasional dips but without affecting our service and by design snr will vary over a long period of time.

Of course your error rate I still think is pretty much broken.  Some kind of underlying noise on your line I think causing it.

Yeah I agree, the amount of FEC errors per minute is somewhat insane. Just to clarify, this ( https://i.imgur.com/ldl7v4g.png ) for example isn't worth even mentioning too then?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 10:25:32 PM »

P.S. Here's an updated image of my replacement server cabinet, since the original one wasn't the one I ordered (didn't quite match the picture and specs shown on the website I ordered it from). This one is much better anyway. ( https://i.imgur.com/VvSwPr9.jpg )

That looks very professional for the top three quarters, the bottom quarter looks . . . erm, a little unprofessional.  ;)  What is the power consumption; what sort of load does it impose on your UPS?

Yeah I agree, the amount of FEC errors per minute is somewhat insane.

Rather crazy. But it shows that the EDC mechanism is operating well.

Just to clarify, this ( https://i.imgur.com/ldl7v4g.png ) for example isn't worth even mentioning too then?

There certainly is something peculiar occurring . . . Is that typical of the circuit's behaviour over a 24 hour period?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »

That looks very professional for the top three quarters, the bottom quarter looks . . . erm, a little unprofessional.  ;)  What is the power consumption; what sort of load does it impose on your UPS?

Rather crazy. But it shows that the EDC mechanism is operating well.

There certainly is something peculiar occurring . . . Is that typical of the circuit's behaviour over a 24 hour period?

Yeah, that can do with an improvement but it works for now. I haven't measured power consumption but the UPS load level is pretty low, based on specifications of the devices in use I'd say at most it's consuming around 200W.

The rapid SNR swinging happens periodically, at random intervals and durations, typically on a daily basis now. I've noticed it generally seems to stabilise either randomly or if I happen to use the phone line (e.g. dial tone).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »

I haven't measured power consumption but the UPS load level is pretty low, based on specifications of the devices in use I'd say at most it's consuming around 200W.

Thank you. That has satisfied this curious kitteh.

I've noticed it generally seems to stabilise either randomly or if I happen to use the phone line (e.g. dial tone).

Having read your description, I am inclined to suspect a defective joint. One that is either showing semi-conductive or HR tendencies due to corrosion, possibly between two dissimilar metals.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 11:31:48 PM »

Is there a chance ixel that your modem been so close proximity to the power sockets and other devices it could be swamped with noise especially as with the door closed it will be contained in that small area.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 12:20:07 AM »

Is there a chance ixel that your modem been so close proximity to the power sockets and other devices it could be swamped with noise especially as with the door closed it will be contained in that small area.

Nope as this issue was occurring before I had the server cabinet. I will however eliminate that possibility tomorrow by placing the modem outside of the cabinet to be 100% certain. I need to do so anyway as Zen advised me to go back to using the test socket with a micro-filter before the engineer turns up, and the only RJ11 to RJ11 cable I have which is of decent quality (not the flat cables) is very short. The longer one I'm currently using, I think two meters, is RJ11 to RJ45. Who knows though, maybe the engineer has fixed something and that's just compounded the original problem. As such maybe taking it out of the cabinet will make the problem disappear? Though I'm doubtful.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »

I've moved the modem outside the cabinet and used a short cable (that cable on eBay for those with problems or w/e, with that ferrite bead integrated), with a micro-filter. Not sure if it's the cable, the micro-filter or merely just the way the line has now become but the Hlog graph looks different.

https://i.imgur.com/cpHhwvR.png

A nice wave like line on the first downstream band.

I'll try switching to a simple flat RJ11 cable to see if it disappears, then if not I'll try switching back to the MK3 SSFP. Interesting though.

EDIT: The mentioned cable from eBay caused that wave like line it seems, now it's smooth with a flat RJ11 cable. FEC errors are still there however, in a large amount. I hope the engineer decides to try a 'circuit recalc' and it should hopefully reveal the stupidly high amount of error seconds I had (especially with the amount of FEC errors I'm getting still). On the other hand, re-syncing made my line attenuation return to normal.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:09:45 AM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11