Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: My line might have issues?  (Read 39567 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: My line might have issues?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2017, 01:12:36 AM »

. . . the Hlog graph looks different.

https://i.imgur.com/cpHhwvR.png

A nice wave like line on the first downstream band.

Yuck, is my first comment on your Hlog plot. My second comment is that the plot displays the typical ECI equipped cabinet "tail-end droop" (a sudden increase in attenuation at the highest frequency sub-carriers).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »

Yuck, is my first comment on your Hlog plot. My second comment is that the plot displays the typical ECI equipped cabinet "tail-end droop" (a sudden increase in attenuation at the highest frequency sub-carriers).

Indeed, the tail end droop disappeared ish when I did a re-sync though.

Well, engineer has been, did all he could but he was just a phone engineer (not a broadband one). I was told I need a broadband engineer, and was advised to contact Zen again and ask for one. He feels it could be a faulty port on the DSLAM but being a phone engineer he doesn't have access to it. I mentioned a circuit recalc to prove the CRC errors were still there (being masked by FEC errors) but I don't think he had the training or access to do that (he thought the ISP could do it, but I said I thought it was only the Openreach engineer who could).

So, I will be contacting Zen again to inform them of the situation. In the meantime the only way I feel I can prove the CRC errors are still there is if I forcibly cap the downstream speed on the modem to say... half what it is now (as I will eventually get fastpath back). Zen on the other hand might not like this or might wonder what I'm up to. Anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed? Thanks in advance.

Finally I have no idea if I'm being charged, I hope not. He said he didn't mind this type of fault as it's an easy job for him (of course, haha), so as long as I don't get charged for 'no fault found' I won't mind.

--

EDIT: I've had an idea. Maybe I should get a second line (my drop wire is capable of four lines I think). This would rule out the idea of a faulty DSLAM port without potentially costing me a lot for call outs. If it turns out there's still a fault then, as I'd go with A&A for this second line, I could get them on to the case unless of course the installer finds there's instability the moment he connects it up (FTTC). If on the other hand there's no fault then I'll just have to class Zen as a backup connection for the remainder of the contract. Maybe I should do that?

--

EDIT 2: I've just had a call from Zen, obviously stating what I already know about today (no fault found) and there is a charge but I'm being told that it's not my concern as Zen never agreed with BT/Openreach about a possible call out charge for this particular call out so they'll dispute that (phew!). They're going to now deal with the packet loss problem and move me to an assured peer or something I think they said. However I think what I've mentioned in the first edit may be my best option to getting this tackled, and perhaps at the end of the contact with Zen just stick with A&A from that point on only (while keeping Zen for voice phone line rental). Any thoughts anyone?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:42:20 PM by Ixel »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2017, 06:35:11 PM »

New line seems way to go, I dont think zen have handled it well, the voice engineer surely they would have been aware of that before he came.

The only issue with aaisp is revk has confirmed they low ball the speed estimate now using the handback threshold (post on tbb), so that could make any future speed related faults harder to raise as the figure they will use is a low one.  I dont know if aaisp consider a line thats stable whilst interleaved as faulty or not.

If you forcefully cap the sync, bear in mind if you get a fault raised due to the low speed, and then an engineer shows up, syncs at normal speed, then that will come out as a slam dunk CPE to blame case.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »

New line seems way to go, I dont think zen have handled it well, the voice engineer surely they would have been aware of that before he came.

The only issue with aaisp is revk has confirmed they low ball the speed estimate now using the handback threshold (post on tbb), so that could make any future speed related faults harder to raise as the figure they will use is a low one.  I dont know if aaisp consider a line thats stable whilst interleaved as faulty or not.

If you forcefully cap the sync, bear in mind if you get a fault raised due to the low speed, and then an engineer shows up, syncs at normal speed, then that will come out as a slam dunk CPE to blame case.

Good point about the sync cap, yeah true. I think a new line is the way to go, it'll at least eliminate the faulty DSLAM port hunch that this other engineer had and if the new line immediately shows lots of CRC errors then maybe it'll be dealt with (I assume the installer checks the connection stats for a few mins to ensure things are 'normal'?). I'll query if possible about how they might handle this type of fault (A&A) if it occurs after the line has been installed, assuming the installer doesn't pick up on it at the time.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:38 AM »

After further consideration last night I've decided it's definitely my best and only option to really getting something done about the problems I'm suffering with. The connection has apparently got worse and DLM will no doubt increase me to INP 4 soon (or worse).

https://i.imgur.com/fNiHP20.png - Those averages look ugly as hell lol

Hopefully A&A can help me if the second connection should have issues too.

EDIT: Damn, I have to wait until the 13th of October before the PSTN bit is done, then I think it's another appointment for FTTC too, so maybe near to a month before I can get it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:16:26 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »

The connection has apparently got worse and DLM will no doubt increase me to INP 4 soon (or worse).

I take a look, once every 24 hours. Yes, things have gradually got worse.

A total of 2161 error seconds counted over the last 24 hours.  :(

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2017, 08:10:11 AM »

good luck with the new pair ixel, I hope its not something local to you and a remote problem instead which could be resolved by the new line.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »

Thanks, yeah all being well. If not then I need to hope A&A can assist. If they can't assist then I highly doubt any other ISP can. The only option I'm otherwise left with is to disable most of the D3 band on the DSL-AC68U and use the DSL-AC68U as the modem, as that's where I was originally getting this problem (D3 band) which may unfortunately also suggest something is causing severe interference and may not be a line fault. Hopefully not however, maybe it's just a faulty port on the DSLAM. There's also another possibility, the port on the DSLAM could be damaged (surged?) maybe from whatever the original underground fault was (all I know is that it was a battery contact fault).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:37:30 AM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2017, 10:04:52 PM »

I think I've started to notice a possible pattern with my issue.

The SNRM started swinging wildly shortly after it started to rain tonight (hasn't rained here for some days). It has stabilised again for now but it lasted a while. The FEC errors also increase when the outside temperature becomes cooler and decrease when the temperature becomes milder. My only guess that this isn't a faulty DSLAM port but some part of the copper line is exposed to the weather, so I imagine the second line will also get similar symptoms.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »

Just to provide an update to anyone still watching this thread.

Last Friday Zen called me to confirm the issue with my packet loss and slow single threaded download speed had been resolved. I tested it and indeed it was resolved, until mid afternoon today.

https://imgur.com/a/3XPww

In my attempt to encourage fastpath to return to see if I'd get lots of ES/CRC errors still, tonight swinging SNR has also returned after being absent for a while (D3 band), see https://imgur.com/a/ojlPM

No rain this time, I don't think temperature is causing it either as it's not overly cold, just it's fairly windy compared to the last few days.

I can't wait to get the A&A connection live. If there's still problems then I'm sure they'll get Openreach to fix it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:44:10 PM by Ixel »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2017, 10:06:41 PM »

Just to provide an update to anyone still watching this thread.

Thank you. (As I read each post that you make to this thread.)

I can't wait to get the A&A connection live. If there's still problems then I'm sure they'll get Openreach to fix it.

Do you now have a firm installation date?

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »

Thank you. (As I read each post that you make to this thread.)

Do you now have a firm installation date?

Yes I do :), **hopefully anyway**. It's still planned for the 13th of this month, I assume for both installing the second line and doing the FTTC bit in the PCP.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »

To update the problem, as quoted from another thread in the ISP section.

New line installed, took the engineer a while as he had to connect it at the pole and then find the pair but it all went smoothly.

Good news is that the speed test is excellent, I ran one from dslreports (single threaded only): https://i.imgur.com/UWepEcR.png

Even more good news is that I'm syncing much faster than my old line did, currently 69033/17077 versus possibly 57xxx/13xxx (uncapped).

Bad news is that my rather excessive and continuous error seconds and CRC errors are still present so no doubt DLM will kick in soon, once I've collected enough data I'll see what AAISP have to say and hope they can help me eliminate this issue.

Otherwise so far I'm happy with AAISP's performance via TT wholesale back-haul :).

Engineer told me I'm also on a new line card, forgot to mention that in the other thread :).

Code: [Select]
DSLAM/MSAN type:        IFTN:0xb206 / v0xb206
has changed to...

Code: [Select]
DSLAM/MSAN type:        IFTN:0xd086 / v0xd086
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:26:53 PM by Ixel »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 01:38:15 PM »

I've emailed AAISP after getting advice on IRC to be sure, AA-Shaun said they should be able to help me. I got a reply very quickly to my essay like email (I wanted to be as detailed as I could) from Shaun. A fault has been raised with TalkTalk Wholesale, AAISP is asking for a broadband engineer as this is a broadband fault and something that Zen should've done to begin with I feel. I'm told there will be no extra charges raised as there's a fault with the service. I sent in brief stats from my HG612 which clearly shows an insane amount of error seconds, similar to what I'm getting with my DrayTek Vigor 2860Vac and an unlocked ECI /r with LEDE. I'm feeling confident this matter will get sorted eventually now and believe I made the right decision in joining AAISP via a second line :).

Fault currently reads on the control panel as: "We are seeing high bursts of errors on this line and policy discards, line has very high interleave levels to help cope with the errors but this is not enough. Previously engineers have stated that there is a D side issue but it has not been fixed as the line". Presumably truncated, but overall sounds promising!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »

yeah aaisp are doing what zen should have done.

Those error rates are not normal, yes every line will have errors, and there is variances, but the amount you get is extreme.

Good luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

anything