Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sky Activation meant to be today : Faulty tie pairs  (Read 1671 times)

Oakserver

Sky Activation meant to be today : Faulty tie pairs
« on: November 27, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »

Hi,

Waiting to change from BT Infinity to Sky Fibre today.

My phone line has gone dead, but the broadband is still working with BT.

Apparently they can't progress the order at the exchange due to faulty tie pairs. No-one knows how long that will take to resolve.

So my question is, does anyone have experience of this problem and the likely timescale for resolution.

Also, at what point will my broadband be cut off from BT? I was quite surprised it is still working in all honesty. Will that continue, or will that part of the migration take place despite not having the phone line?

Problem is my phone and broadband connection are required as I work from home.

Thanks
Oakserver.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Sky Activation meant to be today : Faulty tie pairs
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 11:27:28 PM »

I note you say exchange...  afaik Sky use their own engineers to connect the tie pair from the handover frame to their MSAN for the telephony side.
Depending on the size/type of your exchange, its probable that the dsl side goes to another larger exchange.  (headend) and should hook up to Skys GEA cablelink. 

'Faulty tie pairs' was a known excuse Sky used several years ago when there were insufficient spares on their LLU handover frame.  Both my daughter and a friends daughter were given the same reason and it took a few weeks to resolve.   Hopefully they are more on the ball these days and can get additional modules installed quickly.

You may fall lucky with the Infinity as BTr may not cut it off until they receive notification that the migration is complete.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Oakserver

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

OK, so my migration to Sky Fibre Max went like today (7 Dec 17) I thought I would share my experience of what happens.

My original activation date was 27 November. On that date my BT phone line was cut off in the morning although the BT Infinity continued. I noticed online that a message from sky said there was a problem activating broadband and that they were working to fix it.

The phone line remained completely out of action for what felt like nearly 2 weeks until yesterday, 6 December 2017. All of a sudden it started working around about midnight.

The next day the BT broadband was lost - although the modem stayed in sync. I spent the day working from home with myself and my wife tethered to my iPhone! Luckly that was only for one day because earlier today I received a text message to say broadband is active.

Sure enough my modem had resynchronised at 76535, having been around 68000 for a month or two due to DLM intervention (Previously banded to 74000). I am now syncing at 6db SNR downstream. The G.INP has been removed from the up and down stream.

This indicates to me that a full DLM reset is undertaken when moving from BT Fibre to Sky Fibre. The 74000 cap has been lifted. I am seeing more ES errors on the upstream and downstream as a result but estimate with the Kitz DLM calculator that this will be 'amber' for the standard profile.

Hopefully no interventions will take place, although if it did G.INP would be good to reduce those CRC/ES errors a little.

Thanks to those who replied.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:07:30 PM by Oakserver »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »

Keep an eye on the downstream ES numbers. If they start to get too high and if you have a compatible Broadcom based modem it may be worth manually applying a temporary cap to the sync until g.inp returns. The last thing you want is banding applied again. Hopefully it will be days rather than weeks for DLM to apply g.inp.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM