Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WiFi - interesting product!  (Read 6721 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: WiFi - interesting product!
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »

Thank you for the kind offer.   I didn't install it and that particular brand was recommended by someone who knows way more than me. 

Obviously I was concerned after watching that video, then realised it was far more likely to be down to an inferior product that wouldn't pass any safety standards.
I suppose the same applies to other electrical items that you can buy from China on ebay or in cheapy shops. 

LAP are a UK company and their products are trade rated. 
The actual product is tested with the following CE standards : BS 1363-2 ASTA BS 5733 EN 605950-1, ASTA
It also has very good reviews when I looked last night.

I had a qualified electrician install new light switches and sockets after having to have new ceiling lighting installed in the kitchen/dining room as the whole ceiling had to be re-plastered after burst pipe in the bathroom 2yrs ago. 
Whilst he was here I also got him to replace the circuit switch box with a modern one which has RCDs and isolates certain parts of the house much better.  It also means that if anything blows then its a case of flicking a switch rather than messing with fuse wire :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 04:02:50 PM »

Ah, yes. What you have will be of significantly higher build quality than the tat shown in the video.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »

A fact not often realised is that IT equipment is permitted to have significant current flow to Earth, even in the absence of fault conditions, up to 3.5mA iirc.  It’s in the nature of their switch mode PSUs.  Thus if you have 3 or 4 PCs plugged into a dodgy trailing extension lead with broken earth, even in the absence of faults, you can get a shock of 10mA or more just by touching a PC cabinet.   That’s enough to be very uncomfortable, and occasionally even dangerous.

I mention above merely to underline importance of buying good quality, compliant, apparatus.   As long as you do so risks are minimised.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything