Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SPAM email supposedly from BT  (Read 3003 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
SPAM email supposedly from BT
« on: August 30, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »

I am seeing more spam getting past my email spam scanners just recently, not  huge number but probably 2 or 3 a week. The latest is a very convincing email from BT Business with genuine looking help links but a very suspicious link to download my OneBill from. Obviously it will be deleted, I'm not a BT customer and have not ever been a business customer. Just shows the lengths they go to now to try and bypass spam scanners.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: SPAM email supposedly from BT
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:27:05 PM »

Imho BT bring these things upon themselves, or at least, upon their customers.

When you find yourself talking to what is obviously an amateurish Indian call centre, you can't assume it's fake, as BT do actually outsource to amateurish Indian call centres.

When you get an unsolicited robotic phone call, claiming to be from BT and wanting to discuss your account and payments, you can't assume it is junk.  For BT really do make unsolicited robotic calls to their customers, to try and jolly along bill payments.

I am not surprised that scammers find it rewarding to put some effort into cashing in on these weaknesses.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: SPAM email supposedly from BT
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 07:59:13 AM »

This morning on my server in the spam quarantine there was an email purporting to come from TalkTalk Business which again looked very good apart from the link to where you could view your bill. Obviously not quite as good as the BT one as it got caught by the spam trap, but looks like they are making efforts to catch out unwary business customers. I am a TT customer but NOT a business one.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

anything