Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with broadband and hardware  (Read 2269 times)

p4rma

• Just arrived
Help with broadband and hardware
« on: August 30, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »

Hello,
I've read a few threads on this forum and found them quite helpful but can't find something which answers my question(s).

I recently left BT Business Infinity 2 after many years with them and decided to switch to an ISP called Toople, from reading the reviews everything seemed pretty good however, after being with them for a few weeks things are far from great. Where with BT I was receiving speeds of 80mb/s I'm now connecting at 50mb/s even though nothing has been changed on the line and their service should support up to 80mb/s.

I'm assuming this is down to the hardware they provide, I first had a Technicolor TG588V2 but found the ISP is limiting functionality via firmware. I had two usable public static IP's but the hardware provided gives me no option to assign them to devices. They then sent me a ZyXEL VMG1312-B10D which again I'm trying to get the public static IP assigned to devices using one-to-one nat. I don't think either of these will work and to be honest I don't think they are suitable as a business product. With the VMG1312 I've managed to get the devices a static IP using address mapping however, even after creating access rules on the firewall of the router I can't access the services I need on the devices I'm trying to access. I can do a simple port forward which works but this then gives me 2 public static IP's which are of no use.

I wanted to what I would need in order to make use of the static IP's I have. I've been told I need a Draytek 2860 which supports the assignment of public static IP's to my devices but this is an additional cost. I still have my BT Homehub 5 and it was working when the migration took place, I've read posts that the Homehub 5 would work with other ISPS but, I want to know if I can use my usable public static IP's with this. I also have a Netgear R8000P but not sure if this will allow me to do so.

I hope someone is able to help, this seems quite simple yet I'm having a lot of difficulty :(

Thanks!
p4rma

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Help with broadband and hardware
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 05:11:51 PM »

I'm no expert in these matters, but are you trying to do this - https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/ZyXEL-VMG1312-VMG8924-Routed-IP
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

p4rma

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »

Thanks tubaman! so basically what I'm trying to do with the VMG1312 is not possible, yet ZyXEL tech support are still looking into it haha.

I think I'm going to use the BT Home Hub 5, I just need to figure out how to change the subnet for the static IP's to 255.255.255.252 since I only have 2 usable IP's.

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »

I know that the Zen article I referenced talks about 8 or more static IPs, but won't the 1312 let you set the subnet to 255.255.255.252 like you need?
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:52:36 PM »

afaik the Home Hub 5 won't work with any other ISPs aside from Plusnet (who are owned by BT).

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

p4rma

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »

Thanks for your replies. @kitz I basically ended up using the Home Hub 5 in bridge mode with my R8000p. However, for the static IP's I also bought a Sonicwall TZ210 which I'll add to the setup once I receive it.

I should probably mention I had BT Business Infinity before moving to another ISP.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 11:49:36 AM »

Thanks for your replies. @kitz I basically ended up using the Home Hub 5 in bridge mode with my R8000p.
Does the HH5 authenticate to Toople, or is that done by the R8000p?
Can you change the DNS servers on the HH5?

p4rma

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 09:04:38 AM »

Hi,
Sorry for the delay. I received my TZ 210 and removed the R8000P as it was overkill. However, the authentication was made through the R8000P (at the time) but now the TZ 210. The DNS can't be changed on the HH5 but this can be changed on the R8000P or the TZ 210.

Hope this helps.

anything