Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

Clicking and Echo-y Line

<< < (2/2)

4candles:

--- Quote from: displaced on August 28, 2017, 11:27:44 PM ---Would there be some incredibly cool-looking monitoring system that would alert OR to a fault with the line card and perhaps they've already replaced it?

Cheers!

--- End quote ---

More likely I suspect a dodgy digital path in the switching system which you picked up about one time in twenty - at least that was my first thought.

BUT, the OP states that re-dialling didn't clear the problem, which 9 times in 10 I would have thought it would.

So maybe it was the line card. Would be interested to see what Mr Sheep thinks. Are line cards individual to the customer these days?

Black Sheep:
Ha ha ..... I was waiting to see what your reply would be, Mr Candles.  :) :)

My initial thoughts too, are that it is a port/line card fault ........ taking everything into consideration about what has been said ??.

You may (or may not ??), remember from your halcyon days in the Exchange, that port/card issues are the remit of the OMC (Operation Maintenance Centre), not we front-line engineers.
Don't get me wrong, if we find a faulty port 'on the day', then we will contact the OMC and have them allocate a new port, to which we will just re-jumper on the MDF .............. but regarding a 'monitoring system' I haven't got the foggiest idea, as it has never, ever been something 'outside engineers' have been privy to ??

A simple RAT (Remote Access Test) on BT classic circuits will generally pick up faulty exchange equipment ..... however, we don't know if the OP is LLU at this point ?? If they are, then it introduces another possibility into the fray ...... TAMS equipment (Test Access Matrix System), if the fault IS proved to be in the Exchange, it really is a 50-50 on whether it is the LLU's port or the TAMS equipment ??.  :)   

displaced:
Hehe, I'm a sad git who could listen to this chat all day, despite having no idea!

Anyway, the clicking is a quick ~100msec noise, repeated slightly faster than once per second.  About 800ms if I had to put a number on it.

These happen about 1-in-10 calls, any time of day.  I haven't been able to trigger it by repeatedly picking/hanging up either.

I should also note that both faults are audible at the dialling tone, before a call is placed, as well as during a call.

I'll try to keep a log of when either fault occurs and a recording if possible. 

And I am on a LLU line (Vodafone).  The clicking pre-dates our move from BT, but the echoing is new.

...and there was I, in my comfortable yet naive hope that I would never have to call Vodafone again...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version