Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Huge Burst of Errored Seconds  (Read 8117 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Huge Burst of Errored Seconds
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »

I too live near a substation which is just beyond the other half of two link detached, mine and my neighbour's. A month or so back I had troubles, and checked out with the supply company for known issues. There being none, I requested a site survey of the substation. Nothing was found, but with email- a copy here made anonymous-

Good Morning Mr ****
 I hope the attached information above will leave you better informed on the specifics of Electromagnetic Field surveys? (EMF)
 I have completed a ‘Desktop’ survey and can confirm there is very little potential to generate any EMF values that would require any further action. I have also attached a copy of our explanatory notes called “EMF the facts” and the associated network drawings to qualify the assessment.
 Hopefully, these documents will give you very good information and confirm my decision for no ‘on-site’ assessment.
 In reference to the ‘EMF the Facts’ document may I specifically draw your attention to page 4 of the document and the associated reference levels?

My points for no on-site survey;
 There is a tremendously high dissipation factor for EMF potential when you move a short distance, even in as little as approximately 3ft or 1mtr from an energised cable or substation.
Your main property is approximately 10 m from the low Voltage underground cable conductor.
Your main property is approximately 15.5m from the High Voltage substation. (Both dependant on cable position in relation to the house building line)
You will notice in the ‘EMF the Facts’ document above we use public exposure reference levels of above 100 microtesla. (Please refer to Page 4).
Typical EMF levels at this distance could traditionally generate EMF readings between 0.01 & 0.3 microtesla.
I would not envisage any reading above 0.4 microtesla at the location. (Well below any potential for concern or further investigation)
 Please be advised that if you feel any of the information is not clear please don’t hesitate to call me on my mobile.
 In conclusion, I do however understand that piece of mind is everything so will answer any additional question you may have.
were two large scale maps shown the runs of both high and low power cables- not shown here for privacy- and  a booklet on EMF

Hopefuuly it will be of some interest.

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 05:02:37 PM »

Many thanks Phil and renluop for the useful information.

Something I realised last night is that our baby monitor (one of these) seems to lose contact with the remote camera at similar times to the SNRM dips. As soon as display loses contact with the camera it goes crazy with alerts (for obvious reasons). The only guaranteed way of upsetting the baby monitor is to put the microwave on, but we only knew that from having the monitor in the kitchen while preparing food.

I contacted the utility company, and they are going to send someone to check the smart meter installation. Who did you contact regarding the sub-station?

For the past couple of years I've used a raspberry Pi to monitor the HG612. That uses an 'official' Raspberry power supply, and it's plugged into the socket next to the HG612. I've put a longer ethernet lead on it and temporarily moved it to a different socket. I also put the hot water on a timed mode so I'll know the time windows in which the boiler can operate. At this point I'm really not sure what, in my house, could be switching on/activating at the times the SNRM dips are occurring.
Virgin M500+Asus RT-AX86U

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »

Apologies for resurrecting my old post.... since last posting I've been monitoring the line and found that nothing has improved the daily dips in SNRM. I've tried things like changing the plug sockets, using a different modem (Zyxel 8924) instead of the HG612 and monitoring the line when we've been on holiday with only the modem, Pi and Router powered up the in the house.

Yesterday I put the HG612 back, and also replaced the gel crimps on the incoming feed. This did have the effect of increasing the SNRM from 5.8 to 7.6. However, the regular dips in SNRM continue to occur, so not much chance of DLM relenting. I really have no idea what's causing it.

BT called me yesterday as my contract is up for renewal. They were convinced I could get over 40mb, and wanted me to try their new and improved technical support team. They duly put me through, and unsurprisingly the person I spoke with decided there was nothing wrong with my line, despite the 10mb drop in speed over one night last year. He felt the best course of action would be to send me a new home hub.

So, as the BT renewal price for being a valid customer is £12/month more expensive than their 'new' customer deals, and deals offered by pretty much every other supplier I'm now looking to move supplier.

Would there be any benefit in me requesting the new provider supply me with a new line?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 05:43:45 PM »

Would there be any benefit in me requesting the new provider supply me with a new line?

That is difficult to answer and in all honesty it is a decision only you can make. Is there a possibility that a newly provided metallic pathway bearing a circuit from a new supplier will be free of the above problem? Yes . . . but my feeling is that the possibility is rather slim.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »

Hi

I agree that a new line isn't any guarantee really, it will usually be provisioned from the spare pair that is already in the same cable, so it travels the exact same route and will likely pick up the same interference.  It may make things worse as you then have an extra "antenna" picking up the noise and routing it back into your home.

Regards

Phil

JamesK

• Reg Member
Huge Burst of Errored Seconds
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »

A few days ago I experimented with limiting the sync speed on the HG612 to 20mb. The SNRM dB immediately went from 7.4 to 17.1. This morning DLM initiated a resync. Interleaving has been removed. However, the SNRM dB has increased to 23.9. Would this be expected behaviour going from interleaved to fast path?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:29:22 PM by JamesK »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 08:09:00 PM »

Had a look at stats on MDWS and was expecting to see an big increase on your attainable sync since the large increase in SNRM but nothing has changed just the opposite attainable has lowered the normal change from interleaving to fastpath as you would expect.

To me it just looks like your circuits banding has been removed.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:11:21 PM by NewtronStar »

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 12:00:06 AM »

The Max attainable has dropped as I would expect as interleaving exaggerates the attainable.
Not sure why it made the SNRM jump so much.

To me it just looks like your circuits banding has been removed.
What gives that impression? I find that impossible to tell with a capped sync.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

JamesK

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 10:49:31 AM »

I powered off the modem for 30 minutes this morning, and let it start up without any speed restrictions in place. The result is that I'm still banded as before at 34,998. Interleaving is off, and SNRM dB is at 15.6.

It will be interesting to see how the line performs, and how long it remains before interleaving is re-applied.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 12:08:07 PM »

I'm sorry I missed something in a very early post! :-[
The substation would be in the hands of the company which cares for the local supply infrastructure. Living, as I do, in SW Hants, I contacted SSE Power Distribution.
Pages: 1 [2]