Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bt Line Speed Issue 120kbps.  (Read 19383 times)

Audirob

Bt Line Speed Issue 120kbps.
« on: May 04, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »

First post on this board, I requested help on vnunet.com and i was advised to speak to the experts here and see what you say.
So here goes!!

My line speed has never been much more than 1.5mb but i have been happy with that, recently i have been only getting speeds of 60-120kbps.
This prevents me from using Xbox live.

I spoke to bt they advised me it was the equipment in my house at fault and advised me to plug in to the test socket for a week and see what happens, I done as requested and plugged into the test socket and still the same speed over the week.

So I called again advised to change filters etc, so i changed every thing i could even the wire that feeds into the bt home hub from the filter.

Called Bt again and still they were saying it was my fault so i requested a visit from a Bt Openworld Man (at the risk of a charge) He came yesterday replaced the line box faceplate with one with a filter built in, moved my pair from the extange to another cable that reduced my lenth by 500meters, checked all internal wiring and found no fault with that, soon came to the conclusion it was the home hub at fault, i was happy i could go and buy another router and problem solved.

I borrowed a router from a friend and i have had it plugged in for 20 or so hours now and i am still getting the same speed. ahhhhh

Any ideas?? I have been told you may want some info off my router so i hope this is what you need.

Type Interleave 
                                     Downstream     Upstream
Data rate                      5152                 448 
Noise margin                15.0                  23.0 
Output power               19.8                 12.1 
Attenuation                   34.0                14.5 

Please help!!!

Best Joke Website On The Net: www.sickipedia.org
Best Way To Buy Something You Dont Need: www.hotukdeals.com
The Most Useful Website for Broadband Problems: http://forum.kitz.co.uk
Cash Saving Website: www.moneysavingexpert.com

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Bt Line Speed Issue 120kbps.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 01:55:53 PM »

Hi Audirob and welcome to the forum.

Those stats look healthy enough to me but I'm only a mod and not as technically savvy as other members here. I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback soon.

Audirob

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 01:58:31 PM »

Cheers i am enjoying looking at other problems on the site just a shame i can not find one that is the same problem as mine.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »

Your stats look ok assuming the snr is stable, and also what errors if any your getting over what time.

As your connected to the exchange at 5mb yet your sppeds are around 1/10mb then you have been throttled back by the exchange equipment. Usualy after a fault is closed then this should dissapear within 48hours automaticaly unless your getting odd events still occuring which is what would have caused the throttle back in the firstplace.

The throttleing is akin to driving on the motorway and you think "Woops was that black ice?" so you travel at 20mph although your capable of doing 70mph, just in case, and so you don't fall off the road altogether until your confident that it's safe to speed up.

Throttleing is identified by getting speeds of around 128k or 254k. anything else between 0.5mb to the speed between the router and exchange would be due to all the servers and stuff your connected to via the internet

Audirob

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »

Statistics -- ATM
ATM Interface Statistics
In Octets: 0
Out Octets: 0
In Errors: 0
In Unknown: 0
In Hec Errors: 0
In Invalid Vpi Vci Errors: 0
In Port Not Enable Errors: 0
In PTI Errors: 0
In Idle Cells: 0
In Circuit Type Errors: 0
In OAM RM CRC Errors: 0
In GFC Errors: 0

AAL5 Interface Statistics
In Octets: 0
Out Octets: 0
In Ucast Pkts: 0
Out Ucast Pkts: 0
In Errors: 0
Out Errors: 0
In Discards: 0
Out Discards: 0

AAL5 VCC Statistics
CRC Errors: 0
SAR Timeouts: 0
Oversized SDUs: 0
Short Packet Errors: 0
Length Errors: 0

Is this what your after??

So fingers crossed all should be well by pm Mon?

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 02:34:06 PM »

All zero's, the ideal situation as far as errors are concerned.

Hopefully this should sort itself out, if not then the isp can request BT wholesale to check for any throttling back as this can be cleared manualy sometimes.

Was it your internal wiring which picked up the problem initally ? Probably, but you can't be certain unless your compairing different results with and without the internal wiring connected. thats assuming the source of the problem is active at the time.

Audirob

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »

No fault was found when the enginner called, but changed the faceplate as he said it was a better quality filter, he said that i was on Aluminum wires from the extange and it would be better if he moved me on to the copper wires that were unused.

There were a few faults when the enginner plugged his modem onto the line but after the changes there were none.

I am having a call back at 11:30 Mon from Bt and i am hoping that all will be solved by then.

I like Ezzer's Black Ice Story, sometimes i need it in basic terms,

Thanks For Everyodys help, I will keep this updated.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 04:48:10 PM »

Hi rob and welcome

As mentioned already, your stats are good now. If you can maintain that sync rate then over the course of the next few days your throughput speed should increase to around 4.5Mb.

I suspect that it is your IP profile that is restricting your speeds now (the black ice senario that Ezzer talked about).

You could try doing a BTw Performance test which may tell you at what stage you currently are at.  Unfortunately the tester does get busy and is sometimes temperamental.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 05:54:45 PM »

Looks like you've had a good result there - improving a lot from your original 1.5Mb sync.
As others have said as long as you maintain that connection speed you profile will soon update.

Audirob

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 07:40:26 PM »

I hope so its been about 30 hours now and still testing at 120ish.

The Bt Tester never seems to work for me all i get is

Two consecutive tests have failed to initialise a Assured Rate session for your service.Please raise a fault with your service provider stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicated a problem with initialising your Assured Rate session.

Or a CP error of some type.

I called BT and asked  to check for any throttling back but I might as well been speaking in English as they didnt have a clue.

Will check in the morning, i got a feeling this is not going to end here..

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 12:22:13 PM »

I hear the comments about offshored call centers every day several times over, within bt the routing and records have been offshored. The first time I tried this the chap at the other end couldn't quite understand me (every one tells me I speak very well, thanks to radio4 when i was young) I don't know what exchange he got the equipment no. but it wasn't for the one I was in.

And saturday I connected the customer up to a new e-side from the cabinet. Spent another hour and a half in the exchange looking for my line, Once I got through to double check, I found I was given a pair which linked to another cabinet not the exchange. I was not happy. Not exactly improving efficiency and saving money

Audirob

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 12:49:06 PM »

Update, Speed test still the same.

Bt Test still not working.

I am now really peeved, I called asked to cancel my line, broadband, everything. They said they would cancel my broadband but not my line as i am in term with the calling package i am on. £170 to cancel, so do i cancel my broadband and get it re provided a week later and make use of quidco again?
Or do i wait for 12 days as i have been advised today.

About 11 hours on the phone to bt in 2 weeks, glad its free, saying that i would pay £1 per min to get some good advise.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »

Hi

>> Two consecutive tests have failed to initialise a Assured Rate session for your service.

I strongly suspect that that error is due to your line not being "fast enough" to able to support Advanced Services that BT Broadband have made available on your connection.
- On some BTbroadband accounts BT apply a QOS feature of around 500 kbps which ensures that QoS traffic gets priority over the BT backhaul which is free from "normal" exchange contention.

Its interesting to note that BTs SINet states  "Note that if Assured Rate sessions are currently active the Best Effort request may be accepted but the users BRAS profile may not change until one or more of the Assured RAte sessions end and sufficient bandwidth on the End Users DSL access becomes available."

I'm wondering if we are seeing what could be a new form of "Stuck bRAS" profile?  The unfortunate thing is in your case, you cant check the btw performance tester because you dont appear to be getting a sufficient high enough speed to meet the AS figure that is probably set on your line :(

If you are still syncing at the higher 5152 and you have been stable at that now for a few days.. then you need to contact your ISP.  Tell them that you have constantly sync'd at 5152 but you believe that you may have a stuck bRAS profile which is limiting your throughput speeds.   Ask them to perform an xDSL check via WOOSH to see if they can confirm that this is the case.

Keep insisting that you have done all that you can from your end and that you consistently sync at 5152kbps..  that you have already waited over a week for things to move and they havent and therefore can they raise this as a fault to BT Wholesale as a probable stuck bRAS fault. 
If who you speak to doesnt know what a stuck bRAS profile is (pronounced Bee - Raz).. insist that you are escalated to someone who does.

Good luck.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Audirob

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »

Funny i have just been reading http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

On it now, cant speak to them again as lost my temper last time, will send it on a email.

Data rate 5216  448 
Noise margin 15.1  23.0 
Output power 19.8  12.1 
Attenuation 34.0  14.5 

Data rate slightly different could it still be the Stuck profile.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 01:45:35 PM by Audirob »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 01:54:21 PM »

Yep - stuck bRAS is when the DLM system doesnt pick up and record the higher sync speed rate for one reason or another.

Ive had it happen on my own line numerous times..  the ISP can see Im syncing at the higher rate..  the BT system  picks up the higher sync rate.. but for some reason the DLM process just doesnt record it properly.  :(
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything