Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: DSLstats and MDWS vectoring state support  (Read 16253 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: DSLstats and MDWS vectoring state support
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »

Sorry if obvious but why are there three lights instead of one?
Because there are people that mistake blue for green and three is more obvious....
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2017, 11:12:23 AM »

I noticed earlier that I appear to have different colour leds, it seemed to be  red blue red (top to bottom), but on closer inspection zoomed in considerably grey blue grey. So it seems like the three have different meanings I had expected 3 blues and I am not enabled, actually my stats show a 5 and Not Configured.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2017, 01:31:43 PM »

To try and alleviate the problem of confusion amongst users who have problems with monitor calibration or eyesight and see things that aren't in reality there (or maybe for other reasons) there are some changes to the way the lights are displayed. Space is at a premium on the status bar so the traffic light idea has to stay for operational reasons.

There is now only one central light displayed for all states (except data errors) against a pure black background rather than adjacent to greys in many cases.

Also the Blue Not Enabled light has a small central vertical black bar to help distinguish it from the green one.

I chose Not Enabled for Status 5 rather than Not Configured or Unconfigured as it seemed to convey that status better to the majority of users who are not particularly technical.

But Data errors get three red lights - if you see these, please report it for investigation.
Tony
My Books!

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2017, 01:57:27 PM »

The original iteration was the best.  ;)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2017, 02:12:33 PM »

Sorry, I don't understand why the vectoring status is included with the traffic lights showing the (not) ILQ status?

Wouldn't it be better to repeat the full line that's shown on the All User Stats page at the top of the single user page, except with the (not) ILQ traffic lights replacing the username?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »

There is now only one central light displayed for all states (except data errors) against a pure black background rather than adjacent to greys in many cases.

Have to say that personally I find the new black background much harder on the eyes than the previous incarnations but perhaps thats just me :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:54:21 PM by gt94sss2 »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »

it could be that if ECI ever goes live with Vectoring that it has different codes?

I don't think so, these codes are specific to the Broadcom DSL driver. They don't necessarily mean very much about vectoring in general.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »

Sorry, I don't understand why the vectoring status is included with the traffic lights showing the (not) ILQ status?

It's the DLM status as it says - hence it's not the ILQ status which is quite a bit different.

It was done that way as I had a bit of spare time and working with Eric came up with that as an easy and quick solution that only took a few hours to implement and give users some insight into whether they had Vectoring or not. Probably a bad idea on reflection as I've now I've spent way more time fiddling with it to try and sort out certain problems I don't believe ever really existed in the first place.

Any other solution will take far too much time than I have available so it will now have to stay as it is for the foreseeable future - or I could maybe just turn it off if it's that bad and offers no benefit to anyone.
Tony
My Books!

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 04:14:18 PM »

Sorry just my inner analyst coming out ;)

There's clearly a benefit seeing vectoring being rolled out, so well done and thanks for the effort  :yay:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 04:44:22 PM »

Thank you for that. Let's all just give Tony a break and see how we get on with it. :)
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »

I think the issue with this and the traffic lights is that on my 1920x1080 screen at standard zoom (ie not in or out) on Firefox each traffic light is approximately 1mm in diameter which is not a lot of real estate for people especially those older folks among us to see clearly the colour. The traffic lights are easy as you can click on them and see the popup window, and the vectoring shows the explanation on a hover. I am not overly bothered since the hover pop up tells me what the current status is. By the way the extra indicator does not show if you set graph to Original.

Lets live with it for now and maybe something can be done in the future to make it clearer.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »

I can't quite agree with that as I run at 2560 x 1600 and have no trouble with the colours (obviously) and I'm aged 72....

And further back in this thread is this:

These facilities will only be available to Supporters and thus also only visible on the wider graphs.

Anyway please let it run for now.
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »

tony I dont think 1 and 3 are equal to each other.

Vectoring has 2 operating modes.

One of the modes makes it so a modem can transmit vectoring compatible signals so it wont crosstalk to fully enabled vectored lines, the other mode is full vectoring where not only does it transmit compatible signals but it can also utilise other vectored signals to kill crosstalk.  I believe the 1 state is fully vectoring, the 3 state is vectoring compatible signal but no active crosstalk mitigation.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2017, 09:36:25 PM »

I did explain earlier why the two stats are shown with one status colour, primarily that, based on observations by a user with active Vectoring, he sees the two states flipping between them and so I can't sample fast enough (once a minute is it) to provide a display that won't be confusing. The hover data though will show which state it was in when last sampled. I would like to see this working myself before I am not around but I'm on an ECI cab... 

It really needs more observations and possibly understanding of how it works. For now, just knowing whether it is on or off is at least something.
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »

Ahh thanks tony, sorry I missed that explanation.

I think it will be unusual to see the partial mode anyway, that mode if anything was I guess to be used when vectoring was very new, as it doesnt seem much merit in making a modem vectoring friendly whilst not been fully capable.

My info came from trial documents I read on vectoring which were from years ago.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5