Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Loss of Both Broadband Internet Access and Telephony Service  (Read 14603 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Loss of Both Broadband Internet Access and Telephony Service
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2017, 12:02:48 AM »

You may get some T/Storms on Wednesday something to keep an eye on

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2017, 12:27:07 AM »

close to 1 ES/min now, 20 since midnight. O_o its increasing each passing hour.

interesting it seems at least on my line with this modem there is a cap on the bitswaps/min, the cap seems to have been long term on my line but before this fault it was only reached for short periods of the day.

during this past week the bitswapping rises sharply during the evening and then hits this cap of about 22-23/min but drops again the next morning.  Can see the line is flatlined on MDWS like it hit a ceiling, but it is occasionally able to spike over it.  On the previous days it might be easy to assume the line is flat because of an outage but no outage so far this evening so these are actual readings.

This probably explains the steadily rising ES of which I expect to reduce tommorow morning, but has no bearing on the doubling of ES since the resync as at 4-5pm the bitswaps were still low..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:56:05 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »

ok I wont be closing the fault.

The flat line of bitswaps at 22/min just carried on, and it looks like the problem eventually causes the line to lose sync, the line lost sync around 8am and then when it came back up bitswaps were low again. Interesting as well is the last update was 8.07am to mdws and then 9.26am for the next so the outage looks like it lasted for over an hour.

Not visible on mdws is HEC errors, these have been huge, before the fault my HEC was always similar to the CRC count now its many times more.

Not sure what I will be saying to sky yet, whether I just keep it dumbed down that the line went down for over an hour, or try to explain all the odd behaviour.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 01:09:21 PM by Chrysalis »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2017, 03:20:48 PM »

Not visible on mdws is HEC errors, these have been huge, before the fault my HEC was always similar to the CRC count now its many times more.

I've added Header Error Control/min as B0 HEC after B0 FEC in the list as the data is available.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »

cool, great tony :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »

Even had to visit the Kitz library and read up on what HEC errors are.

HEC Errors - Header Error Check/Correction

Count of HEC Errors. HEC is a type of CRC error check which has been performed on the header of an ATM cell, but 1 bit errors can be corrected. This count is usually where HECs have been uncorrected and have been discarded.

If these errors are too high within a short period of time it will slow throughput... and could even lead to connection instability - See Out Of Cell Delineation.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »

Yep I read it last night as well, kitz wiki the only useful source for it on the internet :)

So I just spoke to sky again.

Update as follows.

Openreach raised a new fault for my cabinet this morning at 10am.
Sky just now ran another line test which is still failing.
Escalated again to openreach.

Fun and games.

I see also now that error rates are up again following the 4pm resync, they were very low between 9.26am and 4pm under 5 ES/hour vs 30+ ES/hour before 8.07am.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »

outage again this morning but for a shorter time 8.56am to 9.37am, I am speculating this has probably been happening since the sync came back last week during the mornings, but I wasnt aware due to the monitoring issues.

Also again is the stuck bitswaps, high error rate all night, then boom by magic after the resync all looks decent again probably now until about 4pm.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »

I wont lie, getting pretty annoyed now, just want it fixed.  It was looking hopeful, got to almost 5pm but the afternoon outage occurred.  Also it may now only be my line as I am no longer seeing variable levels of crosstalk indicating other lines on the cabinet may be fine.

Looking at kitz thread her problems continue as well, but probably worse for her as its harder to draw attention to error bursts than full on outages. 

They saying is a battery needs changing and openreach providing a new status update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:38:21 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:53 PM »

Ok Errmm so all the power outages in Leicester has damaged a Battery cell somewhere, I suppose if like a car battery when the voltage has gone below the minimum it won't hold the charge for that long even after being fully charged so needs a new one.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2017, 05:46:06 PM »

Well not good news.

Sky just rang me again, they have raised a complaint with openreach as openreach advised battery would be fixed today and it hasnt, and in addition the new fix date is almost a month away the 16 august.  With a chance it may be be fixed before then.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:46:00 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2017, 03:39:27 PM »

should be fixed now, issue was that the cabinet was running on batteries, it had to go down twice a day for battery swaps but now power is reconnected.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2017, 05:14:23 PM »

Do you have any idea how full your cabinet is? That sounds fairly impressive that they've only needed swapped twice a day, and service has been consistent inbetween.
That will be the 8am/4pm resyncs/outages you've been experiencing then.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2017, 07:51:26 PM »

As far as I know its highly utilised.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2017, 08:19:28 PM »

I've seen various times mentioned for batteries -   4hrs / 6hrs/ 8hrs all having come from fairly reputable sources.

There was someone on these forums a couple of years ago whose DSLAM was being powered by batteries for several days and he said Openreach were coming to swap them out every 8hrs.

Is yours sorted now Chrys?  I just had a quick look on MDWS and cant see any downtime for the past couple of days.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8