Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Loss of Both Broadband Internet Access and Telephony Service  (Read 14606 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Loss of Both Broadband Internet Access and Telephony Service
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »

another montage for today, this is on a 97 attainable 2 hours uptime, lower QLN.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:58:26 AM by Chrysalis »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 04:13:15 PM »

Well sky just rang to say the fault is fixed by openreach, they literally rang just as I was watching the stats  and messing with pfsense gateway failback settings as had another drop.

I asked them to confirm the fix time which they said was 4pm today, my dsl uptime is 17 minutes right now so line rsynced at 3.52pm today.

When the sync has dropped its not a instant recovery like normal, it tends to stay down for a few minutes before resyncing.

We agreed they ring back the same time tomorrow so I can tell them if the outages stop after this point.

What I find odd is how quick sky rang me after the fault been cleared, but maybe they have staff sitting there dedicated to watching openreach fault tickets.

So if the fault is now cleared (by openreach) I would assume no more loss of sync will happen now, and maybe the last few days they have just been monitoring and rebooting the dslam or something.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:24:05 PM by Chrysalis »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 04:32:52 PM »

Your circuit is my current default view via MDWS and I can see that things have certainly settled down.  :) 

But will refrain from any comment regarding the Hlog and QLN plots until 24 hours have elapsed. (Currently your Hlog plot has a severe "tail-end droop", something I occasionally see with Kitz' circuit, and the QLN plot is still "well furry" -- or "fuzzy".)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 08:08:28 PM »

Number of ES since the afternoon resync has pretty much double, averaging 20ES hour.

There was also a SES burst right before the resync.  I know I need to wait as the outages might go away now they have closed the fault.  The new line condition may be better attainable speeds but error wise looks a lot less stable than before the fault.  I suppose not too surprising tho given the extreme amount of QLN now.

Yeah now I have busy bitswapping on every DS tone, before it was only in the adsl power cut back tones and the upper part of DS3.  So there is a lot more variable noise going on with the line now.

So 110 ES in 4 hours, be circa 600 in a day with a 7.8db snrm.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:15:12 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »

My concern is the modem disconnections are these being forced by yourself or your line just disconnects out of the blue ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 09:08:23 PM »

I have not done any disconnections or modem power cycles, they all out of the blue.

They also all last for at least a few minutes.  So the sync light stays completely off for a short time before flashing again.

Bear in mind I have also had dslstats problems, so there is bigger gaps on the mdws plots than the outage lengths.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 09:17:26 PM »

My concern is the modem disconnections are these being forced by yourself or your line just disconnects out of the blue ?
If you look, you'll see that except for the last resync, the others are mostly RDIs...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:13:16 AM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 09:19:46 PM »

I am not doubting you it's the MDWS connection that made me wonder, Look random disconnects are the worse kind of fault the next would be no DSL signal anything else like lower sync rate or loss of fast path to interleaving is a small drop in the ocean, Have always said line stability is paramount over line speed.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2017, 09:38:25 PM »

I agree newt, obviously if it carries on like this I will not let sky close the fault.  But I have to give it time to see if the drops stop when openreach have stopped their work, their fault close time was 8 mins after the modem last synced.

If the dropouts stop but the high ES continues then I may well cap the line to a lower speed to get the ES to a rate I am happier with.  I actually have no intention of asking for the 74mbit banding to be removed, its probably not a good idea to push this line to a 6db margin with how things are going.

Ok so it seems dslstats stopped about 7am and it was about 11.30am when I restarted it, any other gaps are outages.

My pfsense is auto falling connectivity back to EE mobile data as well which will shorten the gaps of data been sent to MDWS but I think if the dsl sync is down nothing gets sent anyway? not sure on that,

For now I have hg612 stats sending to mdws until I get to the bottom of the dslstats problems.  So there shouldnt be a monitoring problem tonight.

http://i.imgur.com/bHYGYuq.jpg

can see the jump after 4pm
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:53:58 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2017, 10:44:38 PM »

As for the errored seconds lets travel back in time by 30 days DR Who style this time as a female you were hitting 135 per day and now 248 + it's not extreme you gained a sync of 6Mbps and gained 10Mbps attainable so it very obvious you well see more errored seconds it will still remain in amber

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »

the daily total is misleading as it includes the 4 hours missing and the lowered ES from before 4pm.

If the ES slows down again in the morning then fine.

This is my thinking, first I think I am now on the middle DLM profile, it looks like sky may have moved me back at some point, so 1440 new daily ES limit.

It looks like this line might routinely now hit the 600-700 range for ES on a daily basis giving less than a 1000 ES headroom for error bursts and the like, whilst previously I had over a 2000 ES headroom.  On the flipside tho the line I think should have more resilience to "external" interference such as storms if it keeps the higher snrm.  Previously my line could keep under half this ES rate with a 4.5db snrm, but of course it had lower levels of QLN to deal with.

Roll on g.inp, lets hope there is no problems with the summer testing.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:01:59 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2017, 10:56:04 PM »

If I fill in your MDWS blanks I would say 540 how does that sound to you

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2017, 11:02:30 PM »

If I fill in your MDWS blanks I would say 540 how does that sound to you

realistic if the ES slows down again later, too low if it maintains the average hourly rate since the 4pm resync.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2017, 11:10:58 PM »

What the worst that can happen A you go above 1440 es per day then Interleaved and back to Fastpath in a weeks time

The worst case would be B you go above 10 disconnects per day and become banded this looks very unlikely from your stats

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »

to me interleaving is unacceptable :) especially if my line loops between interleaving and fast path continuously.

Banding I am not so bothered about.  Stability and latency are more important to me.  I have even been considering dropping to 40/10 and the only thing that stopped me when I renewed with sky was that they dont offer a static ip on 40/10.

If my ES goes above 600 regularly I think I will apply a 70000kbit cap to the sync to reduce it, I got a feeling the sync will be stable now tho, as I am pretty sure I usually would have had an outage during the evening by now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

anything