Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Deploys Ultrafast FTTP Broadband Over Existing Copper Network  (Read 2897 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/09/openreach-deploys-ultrafast-fttp-broadband-existing-copper-network.html

Network access provider Openreach (BT) appears to have completed a pilot of their new installation option for Fibre-to-the-Premise (FTTP) “ultrafast broadband” networks, which enables them to run optical fibre cables over their existing copper cable network / ducts.

The use of existing infrastructure to run fibre optic cables into properties, such as via copper cable ducts and joint boxes, has been talked about before and the technique probably isn’t going to work everywhere (e.g. sometimes there just isn’t the space or access for it). Often special fibroscopic cameras have to be used first in order to check the underground ducts and remove blockages.

However, where it works then Openreach can save time (i.e. it reduces the need for engineers to blow fibre through underground ducts and to splice individual fibres together) and money by avoiding the need to dig up footpaths or driveways, while also using the latest ‘Plug and Play‘ cable connectors (connectorised).

This seems like an interesting step forward. Especially the part where they can add fibre without having to dig up the roads. I'm sure that will save a lot of time and money.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

WesBez7

Re: Openreach Deploys Ultrafast FTTP Broadband Over Existing Copper Network
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:09 PM »

Really interesting

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »

Not really sure what's new.

I have about 200 ft of BT ducting under my garden, with legal wayleaves, serving myself and others.  Obviously, the cable duct capacity was installed with spare capacity, they're not going to take the trouble to dig up fields and invest in lawyers for wayleaves, unless it has massive surplus capacity for future.   As far as I know, they can stuff as many cables or fibres as they like into the ducts under my land, it's just common sense, is it not?    ???

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 06:20:19 AM »

They have been using existing ducts for running fibre through for well over half a decade, even connector's have been about for a little while, so what's new?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »

I kinda look at Openreach as having an ongoing internal battle between an FTTP faction and a copper faction, with the accountants as a referee.

The FTTP faction are permanently up against it, trying to persuade the accountants that their costs have reduced enough, and this time they deserve a bigger chance. They are constantly having to adjust all manner of techniques to reduce costs ... and the BT release that was the background to ISPreview's story highlighted that they'd managed to halve FTTP installation costs.

Trials like this, then, are ways to prove that all these techniques, taken together, do provide an accumulated saving for at least one use case. Each trial helps persuade the referee a little more.

The G.Fast faction has a similar problem...

Historical aside:
I've seen one GPO document from 1965, that was the analysis of how the cabling & network deployment costs were changing since they'd chosen to start using a PCP/SCP model 20 years earlier. 20 years!

It takes time for engineers to gather evidence & persuade the accountants.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:23:35 PM »

They say big companies move very slowly.

It's good they are bringing the cost down,  especially halving it.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:49:46 PM »

Hopefully this will help drive down the cost of FTTPoD soon, otherwise it sounds like good news.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:56:41 PM »

I've seen one GPO document from 1965, that was the analysis of how the cabling & network deployment costs were changing since they'd chosen to start using a PCP/SCP model 20 years earlier. 20 years!

Nods. I've seen similar, if not the same document.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »

... and the BT release that was the background to ISPreview's story highlighted that they'd managed to halve FTTP installation costs.

I'm just following up this portion...

I recently found the Powerpoint Slides BT were using in presentations to investors back in September, and there are a couple of interesting FTTP snippets that I don't think have been publicised before:

Page 10, on the Openreach FTTP consultation
- They could reach over 1m premises per year, getting to 10m by mid 2020's.
- The cost (for this 10m) would be £300-600 per premises passed, plus £175-200 per premises connected

Because G.Fast is still going on, targeting 10m premises close to some PCPs, and because FTTP will already get to 2m premises (1m new homes; 1m businesses), you have to assume the extra 10m FTTP will be on top of that, so perhaps this cost isn't entirely the most rock-bottom.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »

Who would've thought FTTP extensively reusing existing passive infrastructure would be so relatively inexpensive?

Now we just need Ofcom to see that stuff and decide Openreach have to charge 20p a year for a gigabit and screw things up as they often do.