Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Engineer Visit Dilemma  (Read 8786 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: The Engineer Visit Dilemma
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 05:14:32 PM »

From what you've described it soinds as if the frame of your double glazing is expanding in the heat from the sun and may be bearing up against your telephone line and possibly making contact with one leg of your cable so causing the fault.

Unfortunately this is chargeable, but then again this would be damage cost incurred due to the double glazing fitters so the charge should be passed on the the double glazing firm.

A friend of mine is such a fitter and has been hit by his firm for just such costs. although now heBs a bit more savy to cabling.

phone lines are not ment to be fitted through window frames iwhere ever possible in case of referbishment work in the future. occasionaly its unavaoid able. +he done thing is when the window is removed, to cut a chanel in the maisonry to house the cable so the new frame dosn't bear up to ot cut the cable. although if the cable was going through the old frame this may indicate a difficulty in cutting just such a channel.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »

Having spent a number of years fitting UPVC windows I agree with what ezzer says.I myself would just channel a bit of the mortar out of one of the brickwork joints and ease the cable in there before you fit the new frame.I will be honest and say I have cut through a phone cable and a tv ariel in my time,and have had to sort it/pay for it myself.After all we are only human.  :angel:

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 06:00:52 PM »

From what you've described it soinds as if the frame of your double glazing is expanding in the heat from the sun and may be bearing up against your telephone line and possibly making contact with one leg of your cable so causing the fault. ...

I really hope it's something like that otherwise I'm lost  :(

The sun came out after my last post and I lost DSL connectivity for half an hour or so, voice line had crackling/noise on it (together with the odd "modem" type sound which I assume was coming off my ADSL router). Sun went back in and the voice line and DSL returned to "normal". Oh how I long for a permanent fault !  ::)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »

That modem type noise would be the inital handshake signal when the router/modem detects a digital signal on the line and is saying "hello, i'm here, please talk to me" it's at a lower frequency than normal briadband hence you can sometimes hear it on pstn dispite havung the filters in place. once youve syncbed up this should disappear.

Ive just realised, could i have imagined when i was at school, technology would progress further than anything on say the thunderbirds. I'm sitting here in a pub after watching a footie match on a tv screen 82 inches wide whilst surfing the net and chatting to people all over the country on a little device that could fit inside a ciggarette packet (I don't smoke by the way) from a comfy sofa. Wow what will the next 2 years bring. At 6th form we learned to do boolian algebra in out heads because it was so much faster than using the BBC computer (remember them)

Mr_CheeZe

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 05:55:06 PM »

too many people that i visit get it wrong when they give their opinion on what they think is wrong with their fone line or broadband.
they range from 'there were blokes digging down the road the other day' nowhere near the line of route..
to, 'my fone hasnt worked since i plugged my new homehub in' (stupid woman plugged fone into hub, not filter)
dont be so sure your problem is caused by the wire thru the windowframe.
the only way to cure the problem is to get an engineer look at it. if the cable has been damaged by the window installers, get them to pay for the repair.
it wont fix itself and eventually your adsl (and fone line)will fail altogether. then you will have to get it sorted.
Openreach ADSL engineer

rockywr22

• Just arrived
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 04:28:35 PM »

YES IT IS A REIN PROBLEM

sicartd

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 06:07:48 PM »

I feel for you mate - really do, since March this year my otherwise rock solid 4Mb connection has dropped right down to 160Kb, practically useless for working from home.

I've contacted Demon a number of times and managed to get 3 engineers out, all completely useless neither aware of the previous engineers notes due to BT openreaches (lack of) CRM system, so every visit starts right at the beginning - then after 2 hours the engineers are gone in a puff of smoke, cause they only get paid for 2 hours.

At the point now where the last engineer told Demon that I was unable to get Broadband - which is bullsh1t because I had it for 4 years at 4Mb.

I'm at the point now where my options are, move house or change job.

Hope you have better luck than me.

Dave

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »

>> I had it for 4 years at 4Mb.

Have you asked your ISP if they have a record of what your FTR (Fault Threshold Rate is/are/was?

I'm not sure when you got maxed but probably sometime in 2006..  at which time your FTR should have been set... and based on a 4Mb sync it should be somewhere in the region of around 2.5Mb.  Once your speed goes below this level then you have valid cause to complain to BT.  From what you say and if it was right up till March... then unless youve had a lift and shift which will cause a new retrain, your ISP may still have a record of your old MSR and FTR levels.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]