Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another interesting search engine  (Read 2904 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Another interesting search engine
« on: August 17, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »

I'd never heard of Ecosia until yesterday, but having tried it out I rather like it, and I like its concept of using ad revenue to plant trees. It's not a search engine in itself of course, just a front end for other search engines, like StartPage. It seems to return relevant results quite quickly and accurately.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Another interesting search engine
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:10:29 AM »

Eric it appears that this site wants an extension installed to Firefox. I have not tried it yet. Do you know if this is a legacy extension or the new format which will work from FF 57 onwards?

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »

Just installed it on Firefox running 55.0.2.  Not sure about FF 57 extensions though isnt there supposed to be some migration path?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »

Just installed it on Firefox running 55.0.2.  Not sure about FF 57 extensions though isnt there supposed to be some migration path?

So far from what I've read it seems that the only way to migrate legacy apps is for the developer to do this and put some kind of wrapper round it. One of my favourite extensions Classic Theme Restorer has already said it will NOT be updated. I fear many others will go the same way. The ESR versions of Firefox will support legacy extensions until some time in 2018.

Currently the only way to determine if it is a legacy extension is to view the page on the Mozilla site and click on the Permissions link and it will tell you.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »

I don't think it's an extension in the normal sense. When I installed it from the Ecosia site it simply added Ecosia to the list of search engine options. There's no mention of it in the addons section of Firefox.

[Later] What I said above applies to Pale Moon, which is a spin-off from Firefox 27.3.0. But when I installed it on Firefox 52.3.0 it did install it as an extension. So it appears that Ecosia has both legacy and current options covered.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:09:02 AM by roseway »
  Eric

anything