Computer Software > General software

Anyone recommend a good DVD ripping s/w?

<< < (2/4) > >>

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: MartinGoose on August 16, 2017, 09:00:53 PM ---The means to decrypt has been 'baked' into every DVD player that left the factory. How would they work otherwise? It has long since been reverse engineered.

Some reading here may give further insight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System

--- End quote ---

I'm not an expert and don't want to be, but with CSS I believe the baked-in keys can be revoked if they are compromised.   That would be another reason for the ripping software 'phoning home'.   Or even just to check for updates.

And I did say "DVDs and Blu Rays".  Blu Rays don't use CSS, they use AACS, quite different.

Dray:
How can a DVD player phone home?

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Dray on August 16, 2017, 10:13:32 PM ---How can a DVD player phone home?

--- End quote ---

No, even if they have internet access, 'phoning home' as discussed in this thread, is not something you should be worrying about imho. :)

Dray:
As far as I know, DVD players work even if they're not connected to the internet therefore it's "unlikely" they phone home ;)

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Dray on August 16, 2017, 10:29:44 PM ---As far as I know, DVD players work even if they're not connected to the internet therefore it's "unlikely" they phone home ;)

--- End quote ---

We are in agreement then.  Savour the moment.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version