Computer Software > General software

Anyone recommend a good DVD ripping s/w?

(1/4) > >>

Bowdon:
I've got literally 2 drawers full of dvd's I own and because they aren't easily accessable I end up not watching most of them. If I could get them on my computer so I could watch them then that would be good. It would also give me the ability to stream them to the other tv's in the house.

I know DVD Ripping as been around for many years and as always walked a fine balance on the legal side of things.

But isn't there a good and easy way I can start ripping them? I'd be prepared to buy the software. I just want to be able to easily access my dvd collection.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

MartinGoose:
https://handbrake.fr/

sevenlayermuddle:

--- Quote from: Bowdon on August 16, 2017, 02:34:16 PM ---I've got literally 2 drawers full of dvd's I own and because they aren't easily accessable I end up not watching most of them. If I could get them on my computer so I could watch them then that would be good. It would also give me the ability to stream them to the other tv's in the house.

--- End quote ---

I'm the same, I just want to put DVDs and Blu Rays on my server, while the originals are kept at the back of a cupboard.

As I'm sure you know, the legal minefield really applies to the decryption, rather than the copying. 

Worry is, the better rippers will often 'phone home' to their own website, to get decryption keys.   That  opens up a whole new avenue for getting caught, even though you are not doing anything that I would class as morally wrong.

Personally, these days, I just don't do it. :(

MartinGoose:

--- Quote from: sevenlayermuddle on August 16, 2017, 07:25:06 PM ---Worry is, the better rippers will often 'phone home' to their own website, to get decryption keys.

--- End quote ---

The means to decrypt has been 'baked' into every DVD player that left the factory. How would they work otherwise? It has long since been reverse engineered.

Some reading here may give further insight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_Scramble_System

Dray:
I used WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to backup some DVDs to MP4 successfully.

Please don't report me to the EPL ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version