Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: G.fast commercial roll out in progress  (Read 28356 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Re: G.fast commercial roll out in progress
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »

Wholesale prices don't look too bad - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/09/bt-wholesale-publish-160mbps-330mbps-g-fast-broadband-pricing-isps.html

Wonder when this will go live as my cabinet has a new g-fast pod on the side of it and i'm within 200m of cable run :-)

Prices are going to be above 80Mb VDSL, which is already more than many people will pay - guess it all boils down to distance from the cabinet, I'm at 340m(?) so can't really see a huge benefit to paying top whack for G.fast.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »

I can see it been a retention's product, customer says but I get 300meg on VM, BT rep no problem we got the product for you.

As black sheep has reminded us many times 95% of people will be happy with 40-80mbit services.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2017, 10:21:04 PM »

I can remember being on ADSL 5Mbps all your could stream was SD TV and HD TV was just a load of buffering an now with 40/10 FTTC HD TV is 100% fluid, the next step is 4K UHD which is going to require more broadband bandwidth so even if you don't need that 160-300 Mbps to-day you will need it in 10 years time.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »

I'm no so sure.

With HEVC and other more efficient compression tools becoming more popular,  and as technology advances further allowing even better compression, I don't think bandwidth demands will be as big as some people think.

I also don't think the move from HD to 4K will be as ground breaking as the quality increase from SD to HD was. I'm not saying 4K will be a gimmick like 3D, far from it, but it'll be a long time before it's mainstream.

The jump from 8meg to 40meg was huge and allows so much more to be done by multiple users, however I don't think the same "gain" in user experience will be seen when going from 40mbps to 200mbps.

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2017, 11:34:32 PM »

I also don't think the move from HD to 4K will be as ground breaking as the quality increase from SD to HD was. I'm not saying 4K will be a gimmick like 3D, far from it, but it'll be a long time before it's mainstream.

Don't get me started on HD, years ago I spent a lot of money doing the whole HD thing - got a big Panasonic plasma that had great reviews, got a Blu-ray player, got BBC Planet Earth which was the standard demo for HD TVs. After all that my impression was that digital SD was pretty close to HD - often hard to tell which you were watching. HD simply wasn't a huge improvement or worth the money it cost me.

I now have a 65" 4K TV(also have a 40" 4K monitor) - I can spot 4K playback instantly in a way I never, ever, could with HD. 4K delivers the obvious improvements to picture quality HD failed at.

If you keep an eye on TV technology you'll note it's moving to huge wafer thin(millimetres thick) virtually painted on the wall - 4K is an absolute minimum for the future and I expect to see 8K arriving sooner or later.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2017, 11:41:28 PM »

540pbto 720p, not a massive difference, but 540p to 1080p there absolutely is. Screen size makes a huge difference too.

Sky still output 720p and have done for over a decade now.

I'm not expecting them to make 4K mainstream in the next 5 years.

I'll be looking at getting a new TV next year. Will go OLED 4K for sure, probably LG as the Sony is just too expensive in comparrison.Nothing wrong with my Samsung 8000 that I've had almost 6 years, but boys and their toys etc ;)

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2017, 11:51:40 PM »

I'm not expecting them to make 4K mainstream in the next 5 years.

Terrestrial or satellite is not the future of broadcasting, streaming and on-demand is - 4K Android TV boxes cost around £40/50, no need to wait for Sky or Freeview to catch up.  :)

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2017, 12:46:44 AM »

are they favouring non VM areas I wonder?

No. Most of Hunslet exchange had a VM build after both the original FTTC build and the BDUK infill.

lee111s

• Reg Member
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »

Terrestrial or satellite is not the future of broadcasting, streaming and on-demand is - 4K Android TV boxes cost around £40/50, no need to wait for Sky or Freeview to catch up.  :)

Indeed, but there's still not a great deal of content around yet

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »

No. Most of Hunslet exchange had a VM build after both the original FTTC build and the BDUK infill.

ok thanks for the info :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »

I can remember being on ADSL 5Mbps all your could stream was SD TV and HD TV was just a load of buffering an now with 40/10 FTTC HD TV is 100% fluid, the next step is 4K UHD which is going to require more broadband bandwidth so even if you don't need that 160-300 Mbps to-day you will need it in 10 years time.

I think netflix 4k is circa 25mbit/sec, realistically probably need to add 10mbit or so on top for smooth buffering experience so 100s of mbits shouldnt be needed but perhaps could be a factor if you have multiple devices with heavy usage at same time.

Netflix in a browser is still 720p, and on my 27 inch screen 1 foot in front of me I consider it very good quality. I am not convinced that 4k is as noticeable as people claim it to be, yes on a bigger screen it will be more noticeable but at the same time people dont tend to sit 1 foot away from large 40+ inch screens.  However regardless of my opinion I accept 4k is the new craze, people are buying 4k tvs like crazy, so its inevitable at some point all mainstream streaming services will hit 4k.

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »

For those further away from their cabinets I have been told that a fantastic solution that doesn't rely on nodes closer to customers, higher transmit power, enhanced VDSL 2 co-existence, higher order modulations, etc is coming, and won't require the spending of serious money.

I've no idea what it could be, other than pair bonding perhaps which would require regulatory acquiescence, but have been told I need to know what I'm talking about and think different  :D

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »

Wireless.
  Eric

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »

Wireless.

I suppose they could be doing a Google Fibre / Verizon / AT&T and investigating fixed wireless. The man in question could also be jerking me around.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »

The man in question could also be jerking me around.

That did cross my mind, and I also checked the date, but it's not April.
  Eric
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8