Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any value - Speech to Text  (Read 4409 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Any value - Speech to Text
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »

Instead of typing have you tried dictating, presuming circumstances allow,  it would most likely be a lot quicker.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Any value - Speech to Text
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 01:55:23 PM »

<OT>
It probably would and I'm seriously beginning to think about it.      I'm not good at email these days because of how long it can take me to reply.   
I have looked at Dragon, Not sure how it would work though with site stuff though.

Around the home I've just discovered Amazon Echo which I got at a massive discount (almost half price on Prime Day) and despite Sky net fears  after just a month I'm realising it is such a help and already wondering how I would manage without it.    Still waiting to see the Nuerosurgeon, my GP put in another request last week to see if I can get a more urgent appt as Ive also had a couple of falls in the past few weeks which he thinks is related. Worryingly I had a phone call from someone a couple of days ago which implied they couldn't find my MRI results -  MRI was done some distance from here on the same day and about an hour before the NHS systems got ransom-wared so hoping that I haven't got to start the wait again from scratch. :(

</OT> 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »

Yeah the NHS is a nightmare, you already know of some of my own problems, but my sister went in for a procedure to remove/drain a cyst on her kidney and even tho the NHS delayed it for half a year messing about, they then discovered it was attached to her spleen for the first time and had to abort.  They now have no plan moving forward for her and have even admitted if they did the procedure when she first seen them (back in feb) it wouldnt have been an issue as that stage it was much smaller and not near her spleen.

You have to keep pushing them kitz, which I know is a pain in the backside, but to the NHS we are just liabilities as they fight financial issues.

I think its worth looking into speech to text software as well.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 03:51:05 PM »

Windows usually has speech software built in

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 05:45:57 PM »

Try the Windows 10 built in speach recognition first.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-10-speech-to-text-guide/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 11:24:37 PM »

Thanks guys.   Never even crossed my mind to look at what was included in Windows 10 so I really appreciate that. 
First thing I guess to purchase is a microphone, judging by what Ive just researched elsewhere, a headset is most recommended. 
Even though Ive been on the Interwebs for a loooong time, Ive never personally used webcams etc. I guess Im old school and have stuck to text which has obviously become a lot more difficult of late.

I hate to sound like I'm moaning but this mornings posts and seeing time stamps really brought it home to me how long it took me to do very simple posts that didn't even need me to look at anything in detail took, and why I couldnt accomplish very much...  and also why after just a few hours at the PC has knock on effects too.   I'm a bit stubborn - or should I say independent - and don't like giving in.  It was bad enough that I conceded to having to get an automatic car. I think the NHS waiting is getting to me now realising that things are  getting worse, despite the original referral being 6 months ago. I think I was hoping there would be a quick fix and things would be better by now,  but obviously not.  Anyhow moan over.

I do need to look at some sort of speech recognition.  My Echo has made simple things like shopping/lists/reminders/simple googles so much easier, that perhaps trying to be stubborn isn't always a good idea.   I have a PM that someone kindly sent me too which I shall respond too.  However I'm now a bit typed out but will definitely look into this in more detail.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 11:32:41 PM »

anything that will help, hopefully speech to text proves really helpful to you and makes your time on here more enjoyable as it used to be in the past for you.

I would hope as well it will help in other stuff like plusnet support tickets and other usage of your computer.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »

Speach recognition has improved vastly, it's built into phones so is easy to reply to texts and messengIng apps that way.  I also installed W10 on a laptop the other day and when it got to various options it actually verbally asked me and I spoke the replies,  it worked a treat.