Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Problems (ISP Plusnet) Help Please!  (Read 5319 times)

sophos9

• Just arrived
    • Lean Six Sigma Network
ADSL Problems (ISP Plusnet) Help Please!
« on: November 20, 2006, 07:00:10 PM »

Hi all, new here and hoping someone can help out with some answers to a problem I have.

Something seems strange with my maxDSL connection, heres the history...

When I moved, had massive issues with BB, only got a 288kbps connection but had 448 upstream. BT played with my RAS profile and things got better (2688kbps downstream). All was good until for no reason, my IP profile changed to 288kbps, reported back to Plusnet who referred to BT who in turn reset my line profile.

So, internally I have an XTE-2005, cat5e cabling to one dedicated ADSL extension (phones direct into XTE), I use a Voyager 205 router...

My stats are:

Local SNR Margin: 16.5 dB
Local Line Atten.: 53.5 dB
Local Tx Power:   12.13 dB
Downstream: 1472kbps
Upstream: 448kbps

From these stats I guess I should be on about 4mb, what do others think?

Also, as my sync speed increases, my SNR margin does not ever go down?

Please help someone!  :)

sophos9

• Just arrived
    • Lean Six Sigma Network
Re: ADSL Problems (ISP Plusnet) Help Please!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 07:01:59 PM »

Oh also, the error counters are good since I introduced the XTE

CRC - 9 per hour
FEC - about 12 per hour
HEC - maybe 1 or 2

sophos9

• Just arrived
    • Lean Six Sigma Network
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 08:59:18 PM »

Hi... update!

Have had 3 hours of showtime and using the connection quite heavy....

Downstream Counters:
FEC - 15
CRC - 3
HEC - 1

Not bad as before I fitted the XTE I was clocking over 1500 FEC's per hr!

Please can someone help?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:32:24 AM »

Hi sophos9, and welcome to the forum. Sorry for the delay in replying, but the night owls are away at the moment, and I'm only the day shift. :)

With 53dB attenuation I think you would be lucky to get an IP profile of 4Mbps, but your line is obviously capable of more than you're currently getting. If your profile keeps on getting dropped to a very low figure it probably means that there is an intermittent problem with your line causing a large burst of noise. Do you have a router which logs disconnection events, which might give you a clue to what's happening?

Eric
  Eric

sophos9

• Just arrived
    • Lean Six Sigma Network
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 11:46:25 AM »

No problems, appreciate  your help!

With line attenuation at 53db what would you expect (SNR margin at 16.5)

I have checked the router logs, the only disconnection are those I have done manually to try and kick the BRAS into updating....

My best downstream was 2688kbps, which worked well, was stable (no drops at all) but the BRAS profile changed to 288kbps for some reason that Plusnet could not explain....

Any pointers? Cheers!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 11:25:14 AM »

Plugging the figures from your first posting into the checker at http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm gives an estimate of 2855kbps for your line capability, but as it says, it's only a crude estimate. This isn't much different from the 2688 which you had at one time. Really, only a low-speed re-sync or a brainstorm in the exchange equipment could explain your profile dropping to 288. It looks rather like the latter, so I'm afraid you're going to have to keep on nagging PlusNet.

Eric
  Eric

sophos9

• Just arrived
    • Lean Six Sigma Network
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 02:37:34 PM »

Hmm... thats rings a bell. My exchange has been reporting red VP's for some time and around the same time time that VP went green, my connection went bad!? Coincidence maybe...

My downstream sync went from 2688 to 987kbps after I re-cabled the extension and added the XTE, this was down to many connection drops in a small amount of time. Slowly, the sync is creeping up again.

What's your call on getting the 'best' sync rate?

• Reboot 3 times per day leaving 10mins in-between
  • Reboot once per day with 10 minute gap
  • Leave off overnight once every 2 days
  • Do nothing, leave on 24hrs...?

Cheers

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 08:09:30 PM »

Your router will always sync at the best speed it can for the current line conditions, subject to a minimum noise margin which is 6dB by default. If your connection is very unstable the target noise margin will be increased in 3dB steps to get better stability at the expense of some speed. This may have happened to you, but it's not something which recovers in a short space of time, if at all. Your problem isn't the sync speed, it's the IP profile speed.

There's much debate over the best way to encourage your profile speed to increase. If you want to go all out for speed, then switching off the router during the night will probably be the best option, because that's when there's normally most interference from AM radio transmitters and street lights and so on. My preference is to leave the router switched on 24/7 and let it find its own (slower but more stable) level. If you leave it switched on, the profile might get stuck though, in which case a single re-sync will often unstick it.

I'm afraid there's no definitive answer.

Eric
  Eric