Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Multiple Connection details  (Read 2761 times)

machare

Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Multiple Connection details
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »

I have a recently acquired VMG8924-B10A.  I appear to be able to enter multiple connection details, e.g. different userid/password, different ADSL/VDSL.

I have not spotted anything which lets me select which connection details to use. So how does the router work? Does it try each set of details in turn until it finds one that works?

So, is it possible to get the router to automatically re-establish my connection when I move from ADSL to VDSL with a different supplier? 

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: Zyxel VMG8924-B10A - Multiple Connection details
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:03:23 PM »

It will determine the type of connection when syncing up, and then use the configured parameters for that type.

machare

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »

Thank you. It does look like you can't have two identical connection types, so maybe switching between ADSL and VDSL might work, but switching ISPs for a particular connection type would not work if a password is needed.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 04:35:56 PM »

I use a VDSL connection and also see a ADSL connection also which I might delete as it's not needed and may slow down the connecting time process at boot time  :-\

If you move to New ISP provider with VDSL your going to have to enter in the username & password at some point to get connected and you need to power down & up the modem to get the new connection or the DSL connection led will be RED or Blank once the switch over has taken place.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 04:48:17 PM by NewtronStar »

machare

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »

I have already entered the userid and password for the VDSL connection but if the router won't switch from ADSL to VDSL without a reboot that would be a pity.  I want to switch suppliers without being present. Maybe a time switch might help.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »

Surely if you switch from an ADSL supplier to a VDSL one it will mean a drop and re-connect of the router which would then use the VDSL connection details. I dont believe it is possible to do it any other way - unless one of the experts here knows more....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »

There is a option in power management you could setup a rule/schedule for the DSL WAN and have it turn off and on at a specific time of day each day or any day you have selected.
Have not tried this so beware but it works for Modem LEDS  :)

machare

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 07:09:22 PM »

There is a option in power management you could setup a rule/schedule for the DSL WAN and have it turn off and on at a specific time of day each day or any day you have selected.
Have not tried this so beware but it works for Modem LEDS  :)
Thank you, I will try that. Unlike another Zyxel ADSL router that I have, I have not found an option to automatically reboot the device at regular intervals.

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 11:17:10 PM »

You can set DslStats to send a custom command when it detects no DSL connection. You could set it to send the reboot command. It would mean the router reboots every time the DSL link drops though.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »

I use a VDSL connection and also see a ADSL connection also which I might delete as it's not needed and may slow down the connecting time process at boot time  :-\

No need to delete it - you can just edit it and uncheck 'active'.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 12:45:49 PM »

Following your advise tuberman I went back into broadband section found the active tick removed it and it causes a resync ah well ADSL is inactive now.

EDIT: it looked like a resync but it wasn't  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 12:50:09 PM by NewtronStar »

tubaman

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »

Following your advise tuberman I went back into broadband section found the active tick removed it and it causes a resync ah well ADSL is inactive now.

EDIT: it looked like a resync but it wasn't  :)

It will have dropped and reconnected the PPP side but not the physical connection.
 :)
BT FTTC 55/10 Huawei Cab - Zyxel VMG8924-B10A