Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Marcus Hutchins @Malwaretech arrested by FBI  (Read 2796 times)

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
Marcus Hutchins @Malwaretech arrested by FBI
« on: August 03, 2017, 10:18:36 PM »

Marcus Hutchins - Winner for 2017 Award for Internet Hero arrested and indicted on several criminal counts

http://news.sky.com/story/marcus-hutchins-indicted-on-several-criminal-counts-10972693

A British hacker credited with helping to stop the global WannaCry attack has been arrested by the FBI and indicted on several criminal counts, US officials said.

Court filings accuses Hutchins, also known online as MalwareTech, of advertising, distributing and profiting from malware code known as Kronos that stole online banking credentials and credit card data.

Such malware infects web browsers, then captures usernames and passwords when an unsuspecting user visits a bank or other trusted location.

The suspected activity took place between July 2014 and July 2015, according to the court documents.

Hutchins gained worldwide attention for detecting a "kill switch" that effectively disabled the WannaCry worm in May.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Marcus Hutchins @Malwaretech arrested by FBI
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »

I have no doubt that because of what he does he will have been dabbling with malware in the past as its how even white-hats learn the tools of their trade.
However, it does seem rather strange.   Even more so when he donated his $10k reward for stopping WannaCry to charity and he spends most of his free-time monitoring and stopping the spread of infections.

I guess I will remain nuetral until more detailed information comes out... there is a little bit more info here
http://uk.businessinsider.com/what-is-kronos-marcus-hutchins-malwaretech-arrested-banking-trojan-2017-8?r=US&IR=T
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

This case is turning out to be rather bizarre.

Black hat or White Hat?

Of course, this is all speculation, since the grand jury indictment is so thin on the details. The criminal complaint against Hutchins, which will present more detail on the charges, remains under seal. The only details the indictment provides are in Count 1, which alleges that Hutchins and his co-defendant engaged in a conspiracy to “knowingly cause the transmission” of code that would intentionally “cause damage without authorization” to over ten computers—a felony under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986.

But that part of the indictment focuses mostly on overt acts by Hutchins’ co-defendant, whose name remains under seal. (“Overt acts” are facts necessary to support a conspiracy charge, and are meant to show the defendants’ participation in the conspiracy). Little is known at this time, but it may be an indication that the co-defendant is cooperating with the government, and has offered evidence of Hutchins’ involvement in the creation and sale of the Kronos malware.

--------------------
The indictment lists Marcus Hutchins and another "unknown" defendant. The charges are
Code: [Select]
a) Marcus Hutchins created the Kronos malware
b) On or about July 13, 2014, a video showing the functionality of the Kronos Banking trojan was posted to a publicly available website.   Defendant XXXXXX used the video to demonstrate how Kronos works.
c) In or around August 2014 on an internet forum defendant XXXXXX offered to sell the Kronos Banking trojan for $3000
d) In or around February 2015 defendants Marcus Hutchins and XXXXXX updated the Kronos malware
e) On or about April 29,2015, defendant XXXXXX using the name xxxxxx advertised the availability of the Kronos malware on the AlphaBay market forum.
f) On or about June 11, 2015 defendant XXXXXX sold a version of the Kronos malware in exchange for approximately $2000 in digital currency.
g) On or about July 17, 2015, defendant XXXXXX offered crypting services for Kronos.

Kronos was discovered early July 2014 supposedly coming from the Russian Underground - link - July 11th 2014.
What appears to be incriminating, is that on the 13th of July 2014 evidence is available that Malware Tech is asking if anyone has a sample of Kronos on his twitter account.

TBF I dont find it in the least bit strange that he was wanting a sample - its what he did and by having a sample of WannaCry its how he was able to stop it.
The latter charges all mostly revolve around an unnamed person XXXXX

------------------

Rumours are flying left right and centre amongst both the blackhat and whitehat communities.  Ranging from he was the original author of WannaCry to he was stitched up by the blackhatters for stopping WannaCry (something Marcus himself feared and why he didnt want his name public).    :-\
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

niemand

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 11:22:20 PM »

Very strange. I have samples of a bunch of malware, I am learning to reverse engineer it. I very much hope they've the appropriate evidence.

banger

• Kitizen
  • TTB 80/20
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:43:49 PM »

@MalwareTechblog has started tweeting again.
Tim
talktalkbusiness.net & freenetname
Asus RT-AC68U and ZyXEL VMG1312-B10A Bridge on 80 Meg TTB Fibre

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1502566996147131655