Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How long for g.fast cabs to be activated?  (Read 5304 times)

garypower

How long for g.fast cabs to be activated?
« on: August 02, 2017, 11:24:54 PM »

Does anyone know how long it takes for g.fast cabs to become activated and how to tell?

I am lucky enough to live in one of the areas scheduled for the trial, and g.fast cabs started appearing all round the area from early to mid June.
The BT checker has no indication of any changes yet....

lee111s

• Reg Member
Re: How long for g.fast cabs to be activated?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »

Does anyone know how long it takes for g.fast cabs to become activated and how to tell?

I am lucky enough to live in one of the areas scheduled for the trial, and g.fast cabs started appearing all round the area from early to mid June.

I think I read September somewhere, but not 100% sure.

I suspect they're waiting for all the planned ones to be fitted and ready and will activate them all at the same time rather than making it ready as soon as one cab is complete.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 12:36:48 PM »

When we're all old and grey. We have a 1000 more presentations to sit through yet to tell us how good it is  ;D

On a serious note, I agree with lee that they are probably waiting until a certain number of g.fast pods are fitted before turning them all on over a period of time.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:51:38 PM »

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong . . .

ITU-T G.9700/G.9701 (formally known as G.Fast) uses time division duplexing and not frequency division duplexing, as currently used by G.992.1, G.992.3, G.992.5 & G.993.2 (i.e. xDSL) circuits.

Does anyone, especially those waiting for a "G.Fast pod" to be turned on, own a modem (or modem/router) that is capable of operating in TDD (time division duplexing) mode?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »

Does anyone, especially those waiting for a "G.Fast pod" to be turned on, own a modem (or modem/router) that is capable of operating in TDD (time division duplexing) mode?  :-\

There are some 3rd party g.fast modems out there already but Openreach will initially be providing their own modems (the Huawei MT992?) when they install the service - as they did with both ADSL and VDSL.

I suspect vendor compatibility will be important during the early days to get the best out of the service.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 08:05:57 PM »

Same here, G.Fast cabs all around me, yet I'm still waiting for them to do my cab >:(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »

There are some 3rd party g.fast modems out there already but Openreach will initially be providing their own modems (the Huawei MT992?) when they install the service - as they did with both ADSL and VDSL.

I suspect vendor compatibility will be important during the early days to get the best out of the service.

Thank you for your thoughts on the subject. They are in complete alignment with my own.  :)

The Huawei MT992 . . . that model number is vaguely familiar.  :-\  Ah yes, after rummaging through the "what not", I found an image with the title "Openreach G.Fast Modem Huawei MT992". I've no idea from whence it came but a copy is attached, below.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »

looks familiar, what does it remind me off? :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 10:28:58 PM »

looks familiar, what does it remind me off? :)

Hmm . . .  ;)

b*cat thinks about setting a competition, with no prize for the "winner", to see who is the first to discover a Huawei MT992, available to purchase on eBay.  :D  (A year or so ago, I remember how there were Openreach Mk 3 SSFPs available on eBay before Black Sheep had seen one and before he had been issued with any for van stock!)

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 12:46:23 AM »

Yeah the cabinet down the road from me also has a g.fast cabinet on. Questionable whether I'll get the service though given I'm around 500 meters away by road.

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »

I think BTWholesale will NOT release any G.Fast product to isp yet, so for those for G.Fast cabinets might have a wait for a very long time. The very odd isp offer the first isp in UK to have G.Fast product here: https://cerberusnetworks.co.uk/connectivity-broadband/cerberus-fttp-and-gfast

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »

Why do you think that?
FTTC 160/30 and 330/50 have prices in the BTWholesale WBC price spreadsheet effective from 1/9/2017.

BTWholesale is listed in https://cerberusnetworks.co.uk/about-us/technology-partners

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »

That for FTTP, not G.Fast.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 08:54:07 PM »

max of course they will release, not only are they required to under regulation, but they will do so now anyway as is normal business practice for them, of course if any isps take it up is another matter.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 09:00:37 PM »

That for FTTP, not G.Fast.

Which part or parts of what I said are you referring to?

When Cerberus say:
Cerberus G.Fast services use BT Openreach's new G.Fast technology
This does not necessarily mean that they are not using BTWholesale for G.fast - they can be using Openreach's tech via BTWholesale, just the same as for VDSL2 FTTC.
Pages: [1] 2

anything