Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: REIN Testing  (Read 1650 times)

ekon

• Just arrived
REIN Testing
« on: July 30, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »

[Moderator note: This post has been split-off from the thread in "Chat" so that it will get the attention it deserves.]
I have had a number of problems with a) no phone at all..& then 3 weeks later b) a terribly noisy line etc. Openreach have "fixed" things twice in 5 weeks (line and exchange faults so say..no bill to me).

I am on a very long rural line..and since the last "fix" have been on a 15db noise margin for almost a week..syncing at 1068 with a 1 meg profile with no outages..but recently no reduction of the noise margin from this highish level which I thought should/would happen.

Today I tried to test REIN in the house to see if that was what was causing the snr margin to be up at the 15 level (I'd assumed for stability..rather than speed on this troublesome line). I got a transistor radio & set it at 612 on MW. My oldish fridge/freezer was pretty noisy but then I took said portable radio to the router (Billion 7800N) in the next room and held it right next it for 3 or 4 seconds. I have Routerstats lite running and I believe it caused the first de-synch in a week..is that possible? The re-synch was at 960 kbps with noise margin at 17db. 4 hours later no more de-synchs. The connection speed is still 960 kbps and the noise margin has dropped to 16db.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:40:03 PM by ekon »

JGO

• Reg Member
Re: REIN Testing
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:57 AM »

Ekon - There is nothing sacred about 612 kHz ( except to BT !)

It happens to be a convenient quiet spot on the MW band.  BUT a RFI spectrum has nulls so it is just possible the RFI's null coincides with 612 kHz so try to  find another quiet spot, possibly rotating the radio to null out a weak B/C station with the aerial. 
Also you must appreciate that most things produce RFI at some level - long years ago I heard a story about static electricity caused by nurses changing at the shift end giving trouble in a hospital.