Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Download doesnt match IPP  (Read 2646 times)

PjH

• Just arrived
Download doesnt match IPP
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:05:27 AM »

My download speed has remained at 4.3Mbps whilst my IPP has moved from 4.5 to 5.0 to the current 5.5 Mpbs. Currently sync speed is 6.528, snrm 4.8. I am on an exchange only line 6km from the exchange with attenuation 47dB. My ISP (John Lewis but Plusnet technical support) says they are not capping the speed in any way. They are not interested in helping improve the actual download speed as the download speed is above the best value they 'predict' at 2.5 Mbps based on my line length. Any ideas on the cause of the low downlaod speed vs IPP and advice on how I can get the ISP to help? Cheers

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
Re: Download doesnt match IPP
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »

To ensure the exchange equipment updates your IP profile (IPP) drop your ppp connection (not the dsl connection) for a couple of mins then reconnect.

Then ensure all networking devices are taken off the network apart from the device you are testing which must be connected directly via an ethernet cable.

Ian

PjH

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »

Ian - thanks for your reply - I think my note was not clear - my IPP has increased stepwise over the last couple of months since I started using the Billion 8800NL R2 -  it went from 4.5 to 5 .0 and now 5.5 but my actual download speed has not changed. I expected that when the IPP went to 5.0 I might get 4.8 Mbps and at an IPP of 5.5 I might get a download of 5.2 Mbps but it has just stuck at 4.3 Mbps - a very high 'overhead'.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »

My advise is still good (not sure if John Lewis uses another profile like plusnet do). Where are you running speed tests? A link to a thinkbroadband speedtest would be good to see.

Ian

PjH

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »

Hi Ian - I use www.speedtest.net and http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ speed tests and btwholesale diagnostics to get the IPP. I have attached the results from thinkbroadband's speedtest run today. Currently my downstream sync speed is 6.528 Mbps and upstream 0.448 Mbps. Snrm is around 4.7.The IPP is 5.5. My PC is always connected by ethernet to the 8800NL R2. There is nothing else running on the network. Why such a low download throughput of 4.3 Mbps for an IPP of 5.5 Mbps?

John Lewis use Plusnet as their provider and technical service is through Plusnet. As I am 6km from the exchange Plusnet technical service are not very sympathetic when it comes to helping understand this issue. They say my service is not capped in any way and as I get more than 2.5 Mbps I should think myself lucky.

noddy

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »

I discovered Plusnet have their own idea of what your IP profile is and it doesn't always match the exchange , so even a resync does nothing until they change it at their end . You have to contact them to get it raised  >:(

anything