Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Spam.. From you :(  (Read 18605 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Spam.. From you :(
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »

Can't say I get much spam, and I've been  using the same handful of addresses for years, I get more on my work email addresses, which are used far less on forums and not published on websites either.

If anyone wants to see how much random email is sent turn on a catch all address on your domain, although random is the wrong word, educated guesses would be more correct.

Nothing from the OP, thought he would of popped by and perhaps said a huge thanks to Kitz for checking.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »

@jelv

Within the past couple of months receiving spam on an email address that I specifically use only for a certain usergroup.  Because I know you are a member there I wonder if you are seeing any spam via that forum which only started within the past month or so too?
I never changed the email address from xxx.plus.com so I wouldn't know.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2017, 12:02:44 PM »

Curiously my own address, when entered into the hacked emails search, lists a leak form a forum that I have never heard of, and judging by its name, would not have ever been of any interest to me.  :-\

Fireworks?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »

Fireworks?

Can you shed any light?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2017, 03:00:51 PM »

If you'd seen the same as me my post would have meant something. It was deliberately cryptic to not give too much away.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2017, 03:44:34 PM »

If you'd seen the same as me my post would have meant something.

It did.

The scenario I am afraid of is that my email may have been compromised at some previous time, and used for registration... In which case, the compromised email would be worth worrying about.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2017, 03:59:57 PM »

hmmm.  I see what you mean, there is some sort of connection.

The earlier compromise was related to a much larger known breach.   :hmm:

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »

Fireworks?
It seems that my interest in pyrotechnics has also been compromised  :o

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2017, 05:31:59 PM »

Then this is getting weird.

Until this afternoon my best (and worst) guess was that my inbox had somehow been accessed, allowing access to a forum registration mail.   That would be quite hard today, with gmail's two-step authentication, and near zero probability of their machine generated App passwords being guessed.  But I've used that email for donkeys years and it wasn't always so secure.

But the size of the supposed leak was quite small, around 3,000.   It does seem a remarkable coincidence if 3 of us here are among the 3,000.   Yet I really cannot believe that kitz's forum is any kind of factor at all. ???

I'm forming a theory... according to nominet Whois, the domain has not even been registered.   Suppose therefor the bad guys sometimes publish 'fake' leaks, maybe as some kind of trap to see who publishes them, and therefor close the door on genuine leaks?

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2017, 06:10:31 PM »

It seems that my interest in pyrotechnics has also been compromised  :o
23 Oct 2016?

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »

Snap.

Browni

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 06:31:26 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 07:51:03 PM »

Until this afternoon my best (and worst) guess was that my inbox had somehow been accessed, allowing access to a forum registration mail.
I would have thought it was more likely to be linked in with the earlier breach.

However, I'm not liking the co-incidences tbh. 

Yet the email address I have set for my forum account, my personal email address & the web@ address all show clear. 
I'm puzzled,  let me try do some more digging if I can.

-----------
ETA   For the time being Im removing the link I posted earlier just in case, whilst I attempt do some further investigating.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:25:08 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 08:32:26 PM »

Hi

I'm sorry, a lot of this thread I cannot follow due to not knowing the email addresses or forums

I would like to though, remind everyone that until recent years, forum registration did not require separate confirmation (some may still not), webmail access would not show on pc if hacked, and yahoo (and a lot of other db, e.g. Talktalk avast etc) were  compromised and email addresses taken. There will be a lot unpublished. Also, any domains registered were and/or still show owners email address. Even if the owner changed to hide details, time web still show these details and once part of a domain is known, it is easy to tie most forum users with a domain part, first name etc, so algorithms are scripted to generate email addresses.

This is true of nameservers/dns, where a domain is hosted, rdns of the host ip to reveal details of other websites hosted, yielding more to speculate for gathering.

We use honeypots, to help the Internet community further and those who use honeypots to stop access to the websites/servers

There is a lot more but time is short and I have my grandchildren stopping with us for a few weeks

I hope that helps rather then complicate issues

Many thanks

John

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 09:25:04 PM »

@john I hope you dont mind, butIve PM'd you some info showing the results on jelv, 7LM & Browni (without disclosing their email or personal data) but it should give you more of an idea.  You are far more experienced in this particular area than I ever will be.

Your email address comes up clean, so does the email address I use for my forum account. 
My personal email address is clean.... as is web@
I'm PM'd you the email addresses I use so that you can confirm they are clean.   Jelv also knows them so he can also confirm too, so whatever it is is not affecting all members.

However, I'm not liking the co-incidence and have fired yet another ticket off to my hosts who by now probably think I'm neurotic.  ???
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:30:15 PM by kitz »
-----
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5