Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Openreach Start Consultation on Plan for Large Scale FTTP “Full Fibre” Rollout  (Read 2245 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member

Openreach (BT) has today launched their consultation on the prospects for a “large-scale” roll-out of Fibre-to-the-Premise (FTTP) ultrafast broadband technology across the United Kingdom by around 2025, which in theory could see the operator’s “full fibre” network reach up to 10 million premises.

At present the operator’s roll-out of 1Gbps capable FTTP technology is expected to reach 2 million homes and businesses by 2020, while their ‘up to’ 330Mbps hybrid-fibre G.fast solution will do 10 million premises by the same date and many more by 2025. However Ofcom, the EU and the Government all want to see more “full fibre” in Openreach’s diet.

The industry consultation, which was first mooted during early May 2017 (here), is currently only available for ISPs to view and it promises to investigate various related issues including “potential demand, network architecture, deployment choices and cost recovery options.” ...

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/07/openreach-start-consultation-plan-large-scale-fttp-full-fibre-rollout.html

:)

Ixel

• Kitizen

"Recently managed to halve deployment costs"

I wonder if this might make FoD more viable in the not too distant future.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

FoD has appeared for my postcode on the BTw checker.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Mine too, both at work and at home, but we  won't be ordering.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Ixel

• Kitizen

Same, unless the price drops by approximately one third to half I won't be touching it.

highpriest

• Reg Member

Same for me. Current construction charges are just utterly insane.

FTTP on Demand
Zen | Zyxel VMG8324-B10A (with RFC4638 patch) | EdgeRouter PoE | UniFi AP AC Pro + Lite

NorthSkye

• Just arrived

The industry consultation, which was first mooted during early May 2017 (here), is currently only available for ISPs to view...

Just to clarify, it is only available to those ISPs who have gone through the Openreach customer establishment process.  Any ISP that is not an Openreach customer - and there are a few - cannot participate.  This is is a commercial exercise, i.e. based on profit generation, not a genuine consultation... it excludes not-for-profits like North Skye Broadband and Broadband for the Rural North.

niemand

• Kitizen

Indeed. It is a consultation of Openreach customers, so that should be mentioned.

There is of course a profit oriented motive. Openreach are a private company with a fiduciary duty to deliver returns to shareholders.

tommy45

• Reg Member

It never disappeared from the bt checker on my post code always said available. so reliable ain't it not