Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New cabinet built ADSL checker speed increase but shows as same cabinet.  (Read 7414 times)

lewisp8

Hi,
I used to be with BT on a 2KM FTTC line which provided speeds of around 18-20Mb/s  this was connected to cabinet 8. Last year BT built a Huawei combi cabinet (no existing PCP) about 300 meters away from my house. I got chatty with the engineers installing who told me the cabinet was built to provide better speeds to about half of the village i live in, as many are on a lot going line like me. Anyway I've been checking ADSL checker every month to see when  the new cab is connected and I could order a new service (now using 4g), 8 months after is built (this week) it jumped from 18Mb to 73M. I ordered it and am awaiting instaltion. One weired thing though, ADSL checker is still reporting cab 8 and not the new cab 24 despite the obvious speed increase. I could only use the address checker as I don't have a line at the moment, i tried my neighbours number who is sure to be on the same cab. Sure enough this time it flashed up as the new cab 24 but there was not FTTC availability so I'm slightly confused!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

I suspect it is nothing more than the various databases not having been updated with all the relevant, new, information.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

j0hn

• Kitizen

When a new "infill" cabinet is installed that will be taking customers from another cabinet then OpenReach need to perform a live-to-live migration. This has to be coordinated with every ISP who has a line that is being moved to the new cabinet.
These scenarios almost always take longer than the average cabinet, they try accomplish it all on a set date. If that date comes and goes without the work being done then they need to go back and start again with all the ISP's involved.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

lewisp8

Sent an email to openreach and have just had a reply.

Hello Lewis,

Thank you for your email.

In response to your query about fibre availability, I have checked your property address in our network database records and found that there is still physical work going on in cabinet 24.

Yes, this cabinet project is completed  but there is live to live migration in progress from cabinet 8 to cabinet 24. This is a complicated process and will take some time before cabinet 24  goes live. We're sorry,  unfortunately there isn’t any specific time scale available with us, however i can tell you it is a matter of weeks.

We can only suggest you to please inform you to keep an eye on our website for updateshttp://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx. for updates.

j0hn

• Kitizen

Pretty much what I though/said above.
Sound like a date hasn't been set yet to attempt this so might still be a while.
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

WWWombat

• Kitizen

Beware...

If you end up placing an order while the DSL checker is still reporting the old cabinet number (even with the new speed), then the FTTC "build" will be done with the old cabinet and its FTTC twin. Even if you happen to now physically be connected to the new cab.

The "build" is the backend allocation process that allocates the port number, and tells the engineer what cross-connects to place in the PCP (or the RHS of an AIO). If the port is allocated in the wrong cabinet, then installation simply cannot happen.

And worse, the cab identity is picked up when the order is placed, and does not get updated if the databases change afterwards ... Once the database gets fixed, then the ISP needs to cancel the first order, and place a new one.

lewisp8

Before i contacted BTOR regarding the issue i had initially tried to place an order via plusnet. The line which was a stopped line has now been activated and on DSL checker it reports it is connected to the new cab 24. But there is no FTTC option there which is presumably because the cab isnt activated due to the live to live migration that still needs to be done. Subsequently the plusnet order failed and they reported that my cab isn't ready for FTTC so they've provisioanly put me on ADSL then they'll switch me to fiber when it's ready. So I'm in a situation where i have previously had a FTTC connection BDUK built a infil cab and now i can't get FTTC at all (at least for now). Oddly enough there is a "WBC FTTP" option there now which didn't exist before but I don't really want to cough up for that.  :no:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Oddly enough there is a "WBC FTTP" option there now which didn't exist before but I don't really want to cough up for that.  :no:

Does it actually read as "WBC FTTP"? If yes, I would place an order having first taken a screen capture of that page.

Of course it could be a blunder and should actually read "WBC FTTPoD".  ;)

lewisp8

Does it actually read as "WBC FTTP"? If yes, I would place an order having first taken a screen capture of that page.

Of course it could be a blunder and should actually read "WBC FTTPoD".  ;)

Yeah it does indeed, its only said it sice I've started my stopped line though. I don't think I'd really want the expense of FTTP if it is available plus I don't think the landlord would be overly happy.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

With BT "Retail/Consumer/Whatever Its Current Name", native FTTP costs exactly the same as the FTTC products.

So 80/20 Mbps DS/US FTTP, for example, will cost the same as 80/20 Mbps DS/US FTTC. They are both "BT Infinity 2".

lewisp8

I see, I don't seem to be able to order anything though from the various ISP's, just refers me to ADSL. After a bit of playing I found out if i put my neighbours number (same DP) it just comes up with FTTPoD but mine is WBC FTTP and address checker for my address is also FTTPoD i think all of my profiles for the available products have been messed up with the new cab switchover.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

<Nods.> Yes, it reads as if it's just a SNAFU::)

lewisp8

Looks like the live to live migration is complete now. My neighbours speed has quadrupled after about an hour of line loss and the new cab is now showing as acplting orders.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

That's good to know.  :)

So what, now, is your situation?  :-\

lewisp8

That's good to know.  :)

So what, now, is your situation?  :-\

Order placed and due to go live on the 7th :fingers:

Looking forward to having speeds of 76Mb (Quoted) compared to my rather abismal 16 when i previously had FTTC on the old cabinet.

Pages: [1] 2 3