Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: usb tether on pfsense 2.4 guide  (Read 3281 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
usb tether on pfsense 2.4 guide
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:37:50 AM »

This is a short guide on how to usb tether a android phone to pfsense and then have pfsense provide internet access to your lan over the tethered connection.

This sadly requires a custom kernel, I can provide the kernel here for download (pfsense 2.4) if permission is granted by the pfsense staff.

1 - Prepare a FreeBSD 11.0 machine to use for building the kernel, it can be physical or virtual doesnt matter.  No ports or packages need to be installed, it can be built using base tools in the OS.

2 - Download/clone the pfsense fork of the freebsd src-tree from github, located here, make sure to use master branch https://github.com/pfsense/FreeBSD-src to the build machine.

3 - cd in the FreeBSD-src folder, in my case its '/root/work/pfsense/pfsense/tmp/FreeBSD-src' as I cloned into /root/work

4 - run this command 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=pfSense' this will compile the kernel so wait a while.

5 - then run this command after its done to copy the kernel somewhere, e.g. to /root/work/pfsense/kernel 'make installkernel KERNCONF=pfSense KODIR=/root/work/pfsense/kernel'

6 - cd into the directory above the kernel so e.g. 'cd /root/work/pfsense'

7 - tarball the kernel ' tar -zcvf kernel.tar.gz kernel'

8 - put the tarball on your pfsense unit in /boot

9 - rename current kernel to something like kernel.stock so 'mv kernel kernel.stock'  this means if for some reason the kernel doesnt boot you can still manually boot to the stock kernel.

10 - untar the kernel and delete the tarball, so 'tar -zxvf kernel.tar.gz' and 'rm kernel.tar.gz'

11 - reboot

At this point you are booted into the new kernel.  The difference between this kernel and the stock is you now have all the modules, the actual kernel is the same.

12 - load the following 2 modules as follows
'kldload if_urndis'
'kldload if_ipheth'

13 - Plugin in the phone to a usb port.

14 - Enable mobile data mode and then enable usb tether on the phone.  At this point a ue0 device should appear in ifconfig but it wont have an ip address yet.

15 - In the pfsense gui navigate to interface assigments and assign one of the OPT devices to ue0.

16 - Now edit the OPT device and select DHCP for ipv4, then save and apply.  At this point ue0 should get an ip address.

17 - Navigate to routing settings.

18 - Choose edit for the OPT_DHCP device, and tick default gateway box, save and apply.

19 - you should now be online on the pfsense unit and lan devices that use pfsense as their gateway.

Additional notes.

1 - You may need to add a firewall rule for the opt device to allow traffic,
2 - If you dont want it as the default gateway then you can adjust the gateway settings differently.

I posted this also on the pfsense forum.  I will probably provide a link to the kernel later here on kitz.

anything