Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Regular gaps in MDWS graphs  (Read 4795 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
Regular gaps in MDWS graphs
« on: July 10, 2017, 04:26:24 PM »

Hello,

I've recently noticed that in addition to my MDWS status showing as 98% complete, that I appear not to be uploading data consistently every hour. It seems that I am failing to upload at minute 57 or 58 of each hour, which means that small gaps appear in my MDWS graphs. My setup is a Billion 8800NL with Raspberry Pi (latest version with current software) running DslStats (v6.0.1). MDWS user name is the same as here, i.e. toulouse. I believe that this may have started following the recent MDWS 'outage', but I could be way off target there.

Is anyone able to offer any suggestions as to what may be causing this, and how I might avoid the situation and return to full stats and graphs.

Thanks for any constructive comments

toulouse

Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
Re: Regular gaps in MDWS graphs
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 04:52:29 PM »

I have seen this as well on my pi3 using both 8800nl /hg612 and a vmg 8324. If I get a gap I compare the gap on other stable uploaders to see if it mdws or not . Sometimes my 8800nl seemed to get the probable telnet occaisional lock out. I have just reverted back to 8324 with windows dsl stats instead of my pi3 as a test.Seems to be back at 100% again for now.

I think comparing your gaps is a good place to start just to check.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »

Looking at logs etc I'd guess that your setup (RPi) can't cope with the four files that are uploaded at that time each hour (Bits/Tone, HLog, QLN and SNR/Tone). You are timing out at your end.

Exactly why I have no idea - except that you are uploading at 42 secs past the hour. If you can get that earlier (turn off Hg612 Modem Stats co-op?) or restart DSLStats  just after the hour it will give you more time to upload.

There are other people with gaps in the uploads but they are for different reasons.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:07:08 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »

Thanks for your comments Tony and skyeci. As a starting point, I have tried restarting DslStats just after 5pm this afternoon, and will check back in around an hour to see if a gap occurs around 6pm.

I've checked the DslStats Event Log, but cannot find anything that suggests uploads are failing. Should I be checking something in MDWS instead ?

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:41:01 PM »

You are still uploading at 43 secs or so. Are you sure you haven't got HG612 Modem Stats co-operation checked in DSLStats? Turn it of if so. It's in Configuration > Misc and needs unchecking. (Always asssuming that the RPi version has the option which I don't know).

If you look at the top right hand corner of a pane where the status bar is, where it says Uptime, on the second row that shows the Uptime figure, after that there is a figure in square brackets  [43s] which show the time you are uploading at....
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 05:56:20 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »

.Are you running your 8800nl as a modem & router or modem only out of interest? 

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 06:37:08 PM »

@skyeci - I'm using the 8800NL as both modem and router, as I have been for many, many months
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 06:51:14 PM »

I would be inclined to try a windows build to see if it improves the upload status. Even if for just a couple of days. Perhaps if it resolves it you could try rebuilding the pi?

Are you running hg612 stats as well or not?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »

I think he's missed my post.... He doesn't need to be running it, you can set the option anyway.
Tony
My Books!

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 07:09:26 PM »

I just wondered if he has hg612 running on a windows device as it doesnt work on a pi...

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:28:08 PM »

@skyeci and @tbailey2

Sorry guys, I had to step away from the computer for a while.

I do have a Windows 8.1 laptop which I will try tomorrow.

I definitely DO NOT have Hg612 Modem Stats running or enabled in DslStats on the Raspberry Pi. I was never able to get it running properly even when I was using a HG612 many, many months ago. Probably operator error !! However, as far as I am aware, since moving DslStats on to the Raspberry Pi, I thought everything was working OK, until I noticed the current problem(ette).

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:22 PM »

Sorry to jump in , I have the same problem with the gaps ,using a billion 8800nl as a modem/ router with Dsl stats on my win 8.1 pc no Hg612 modem stats ticked

Same username for stats as forum name

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »

Yours isn't the same problem though and is much worse. Have seen this several times before and seems to be the Billion 8800 itself. It's been noted before but I'm unaware of any solution or why it only affects some examples.

@toulouse
Your last few hourly uploads have been okay although I see you haven't changed the upload time yet.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:01:07 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »

In modem only mode I could obtain 100% on the pi3 but not as consistent as my current windows build when being used with my 8800nl.

It could be because perhaps the 8800nl in modem/router mode might be too busy. I would try the windows build before  changing anything else and see if it improves or not

freelander

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »

Yours isn't the same problem though and is much worse. Have seen this several times before and seems to be the Billion 8800 itself. It's been noted before but I'm unaware of any solution or why it only affects some examples.

Thanks, some time if I reboot the router it corrects it's self till I have to turn of the pc then it returns

Thanks again
Pages: [1] 2

anything